Murphy's OHL career winds down with Carolina on the horizon

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Looking for a way to rebound after falling behind 3-1 early in the second round of the OHL playoffs, you could forgive Kitchener Rangers’ captain Ryan Murphy for channeling his inner James Taylor. After all, in trying to lead by example he’s got Carolina on his mind.

Earlier this season, Murphy — the Carolina Hurricanes’ first-round selection (12th overall) in the 2011 NHL Draft — played in four NHL games as an emergency call-up.

“It was unbelievable. Obviously it was a bit of a shock to me when I got the news. I had no idea that you could be recalled at such a late point of the season,†Murphy explained.… read more

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not sure how the Rangers get the puck out of their end next year. When Murph's was missing this year there was a huge difference in clearing the zone. Does everything at high speed and creates a lot of panic in opponents. Hunter played the trap to try and stop him. You really never see one player get that much attention. Good luck to him. Hope he does well in the future.

bidzey*

good luck Ryan
I see the Carolina coach has a sense of humor.

on a side note... I wonder sometimes what is the biggest leap from Midgit to OHL, or from Jr. hockey to NHL. I know some people would be quick to say to the NHL, but consider a 16 year old playing against Galchenyuk and Yakupov, on the same team no less... I know it may be a case of exceptions, but both these player seemed to had no difficulties adapting to NHL.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
good luck Ryan
I see the Carolina coach has a sense of humor.

on a side note... I wonder sometimes what is the biggest leap from Midgit to OHL, or from Jr. hockey to NHL. I know some people would be quick to say to the NHL, but consider a 16 year old playing against Galchenyuk and Yakupov, on the same team no less... I know it may be a case of exceptions, but both these player seemed to had no difficulties adapting to NHL.

I understand what you're saying but imagine playing defense against Sid, Ovie, Stammer, guys 34 years old and older. No comparison.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I understand what you're saying but imagine playing defense against Sid, Ovie, Stammer, guys 34 years old and older. No comparison.

I under stand what you are saying but I think the Canes have some confidence in Murpy's abilities. Not sure why but I believe he received the most ice of anyone the last time he was called up. In saying that he probably will get time on the farm team. If you look at Ellis who was a killer in the O and a little smaller than Murph he has struggled to make an impact in the pros. The forwards are big and hard to handle and I can see Murph having a tough time with them.

Zapple

Jan 10, 2010
Ryan Murphy will never be a full time NHL defender. His defense is porous at best and I don't think he has the attitude to succeed in the NHL. As for comparisons with Ryan Ellis, in 2 fewer OHL Games Ellis scored 20 more goals, 74 more assists and was a + 145 compared to Murphy's +47. The two simply don't compare, add leadership qualities, Memorial Cups and World Juniors and Ellis was a far superior OHL player.

Murphy would have a better shot at being a regular NHL'er as a forward, but I expect to see him bounce between the NHL and AHL for 2-3 years and wind up finishing his pro career in Europe.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I love when +/- is used to compare players of two different teams. The ultimate meaningless stat.

Ryan Ellis was a very good OHL'er on VERY good teams. Murphy hasn't had close to that type of team in front of him even one year, let alone two. That may have something to do with the difference in stats, no?

I have no idea which of them will have a better NHL career, and neither does anyone else.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ryan Murphy will never be a full time NHL defender. His defense is porous at best and I don't think he has the attitude to succeed in the NHL. As for comparisons with Ryan Ellis, in 2 fewer OHL Games Ellis scored 20 more goals, 74 more assists and was a + 145 compared to Murphy's +47. The two simply don't compare, add leadership qualities, Memorial Cups and World Juniors and Ellis was a far superior OHL player.

Murphy would have a better shot at being a regular NHL'er as a forward, but I expect to see him bounce between the NHL and AHL for 2-3 years and wind up finishing his pro career in Europe.

You mean bounce around between the two league like Ellis. You also forgot to mention that Ellis played on a couple of stacked teams unlike Murph. Murph's attitude? Doubt you no anything about it. Ellis on the other hand although talented at the junior level was a whiner. Murphy also has pro style skating where Ellis was average at best.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

You better tell the Carolina Hurricanes that, they thought he couldn've made the NHL this season if there wasn't a lockout.

Murphy has several things on Ellis that made him the better prospect when he was 16, let alone now. Murphy is a below-average sized defensemen, but he's an elite skater. Ellis is one of the smallest defensemen in the NHL and he's an average at best skater. Murphy's skating and hockey sense will ensure he's an NHL player. Whether he develops the strength to become an effective player is the real question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad