Confirmed with Link: [MTL/TB] Sergachev/Drouin II

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
That's the downside of the deal, we traded one of our best assets to not solve a major problem.

I partially agree here, I mean I think at the end of the day we still solved a problem. While not a Center, he's a game breaking talent and instantly helps the offensive outlook of this team which we also desperately needed.

Now the key to keeping that momentum is retaining Radulov, and either keeping Galchenyuk or trading him in a package for an even better Center. If we turn around and trade Galchenyuk for a D-man, this trade could be nothing more than a sideways move.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's also a playoff player

14 pts in 17 games in the playoffs

In his last junior year, he had 41 pts in 16 playoff games

That's because while the playoffs offer you less time and space, he's just so damn talented that it doesn't matter.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Lack of scoring is a major problem. Drouin addresses this.

More to come...

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @TSNBobMcKenzie

In other words, I get the sense Marc Bergevin is going to continue to be very busy/active.

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 3h3 hours ago

Team to watch now is MIN. Lots of Jonas Brodin trade talk coming out of Twin Cities. I don't doubt Brodin would type of D MTL is targeting.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lack of scoring is a major problem. Drouin addresses this.
He definitely helps to address it anyway... :laugh:

It is a great move in the short term obviously. We'll have to wait to see how it shakes out overall but this move makes a whole lot of sense for us.

Jethlan

Apr 3, 2017
RDP
I just talked to a friend that tought that Beaulieu + First round picks would be enough to get Drouin.:laugh:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Didn't realize how fast a skater he was. Nice deal. Sergy won't hit full stride for at least 3 years judging from his defense. We might still be winners on this deal when he does.

Hate that he's trying to bring Lefebvre back and that he's keeping all the coaches. But their numbers did improve drastically with Julien so...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Only if he lives up to it. Not sold on him especially his past attitude.

I might be in a very very very small minority here, but I actually like the kid's attitude. He's shown in the past that he knows where he wants to be and he's ready to pull the moves to get there. Self-confidence and selfishness are not the same thing.

The 'problems' he's had in Tampa were as much on SteveY than it was on Drouin. Shared responsibility, IMO. People seem to forget that Drouin first asked for a trade privately. SteveY told him 'no problem, we'll get it done' but then, nothing happened for months and Drouin felt he wasn't given a fair chance. And as soon as they put him back in the lineup, he shows he's more than capable of playing a top 6 role, even in the playoffs.

We have to give the benefit of the doubt to Drouin, IMO. He looks genuily happy to be here, signed a very cap friendly contract in no time. And the kid's got some balls, he might turn into the alpha male this team is sorely lacking up front.

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
The 'problems' he's had in Tampa were as much on SteveY than it was on Drouin. Shared responsibility, IMO. People seem to forget that Drouin first asked for a trade privately.

Unfortunately, he's had problems every where he has been. He didn't show up at first after being drafted by Halifax and was widely considered temperamental in his time there.

At the World Juniors in Sweden, he was supposed to be the team star and one of the leaders. But he ended having a bad tournament - sulking, taking bad penalties and not being a positive team influence at all.

But he was young and I pray that is all behind him.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Galchenyuk - Drouin could be a lethal combo for years.

Both players can shoot/pass/carry the puck. The threats would be coming from all angles and places.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Thanks..............so we have him for 6 years...so we bought 2 yrs of his UFA? Or 3 yrs of his UFA?

Just realized his agent is Walsh...no wonder the kid has people taking shots at his attitude issues? They aren't his at all, it's his agents attitude...glad we don't have to deal with Walsh for 6 years, unless he takes to twitter to complain about CJ's usage of his client...:shakehead

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Drouin brings us more offense right now.

Sergachev was going to be a top-4 in two or three years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thanks..............so we have him for 6 years...so we bought 2 yrs of his UFA? Or 3 yrs of his UFA?

Just realized his agent is Walsh...no wonder the kid has people taking shots at his attitude issues? They aren't his at all, it's his agents attitude...glad we don't have to deal with Walsh for 6 years, unless he takes to twitter to complain about CJ's usage of his client...:shakehead

2 years i believe.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I would have gone all in for the 8 years, but at least we did get 2 UFA years. Contract is correct.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
From a hockey standpoint, I'm excited about Drouin's potential.

However, if we end up trading Chucky to balance out this move, I think it's a wait and see for me. Hopefully we keep both and let them grow together into the dynamic duo. Even though Drouin is a local boy, the Habs are still Chucky's team and it's going to take a very good offensive output (80+ points) from Drouin to overcome that in my opinion.

I'm also not a super fan of how Drouin has handle himself so far professionally, but I guess giving him a clean slate to see how he handles himself as a star player in Montreal is the only thing we can do.

In any case, I think I'm cautiously optimistic and can see some scenarios where a Chucky trade (Stepan + Brodin) as making us a better team, no matter how much it pains me to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad