Proposal: MTL/Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I know this has been beaten to death but it seems these two teams could help each other

To Montreal

Yanni Gourde
Mikhail Sergachev

To Lightning

Arturri Lehkonen
Victor Mete
Montreal 2020 2nd pick (St louis)
*Alexander Romanov

Gourde's contract is a problem in Tampa Bay but he could potentially rejuvenate his career as a top-six forward in Montreal, would play on our dreadful power play and would play on the PK. He would play a much bigger role in MTL. Lehkonen takes his spot on the third line at more than half the price and is pretty good at everything but playing the powerplay and only 10-15 scores goals per year but he wouldn't be counted on for the powerplay in tampa anyway. Lehkonen is also a RFA at the end of his contract so that is an added bonus.

Sergachev has huge value that is offset by the risk of Gourde's contract and would be the left defenseman needed moving forward for the Habs. Mete's the same age as sergachev, still has upside to develop into a serviceable top-4 ala Kris Rusell. He would be behind Hedman & McDonagh on the third pairing but can move up and down the lineup due to his tremendous skating ability even though he isn't much of a factor on the special units. I understand that the right side is much more of a problem for Tampa next year with only Cernak and a fading Coburn under contract. Maybe Cal Foote can be promoted and take a role on the blueline but I see their prospect pool is much thinner at D than at forward. Mete is also a RFA but wouldn't cost much to retain. Habs hopes Romanov is ready to sign a contract and basically replace Mete. Tampa re-signs a stop gas vet cheaply for the right side and re-signs Cirelli to a long term contract. Tampa gets an added 2nd round pick to offset their loss of sergachev.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

The idea of dumping Gourde is to make room to sign Sergachev. That alone makes this thread contradictory.
As for the value, sure Gourde is over paid but realistically not by much he's still a solid middle 6 player that's only 2 years removed from a 64 point season (also he didnt play with either of Stamkos or Kucherov as line mates). He is going to average 45 points a season and most other players in that range are making 4.5M to 6M. Also despite only being 5'9 Gourde is a physical player who's not afraid to drop the gloves. Lehkonen is a downgrade on Gourde in terms of middle 6 players but that's also why he's on a cheaper contract. Mete, idk any more with him, I had high hopes but I think his ceiling is a #4 at this point.

IMO this trade in terms of value heavily favors Montreal (a division rival). I don't see any scenario where Tampa trades Sergachev back and doesn't get one of the Habs top prospects in return.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
I mean Mete and Lekhonen are solid players but together with a 2nd round pick they are simply not nearly enough for that kind of return.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
expected this to be bad for Tampa and boy was I not dissappointed.

not even gonna kick in a 1st for Sergachev, a dude who is still only 21 and is a legit top 4 dman?

Pick #8 and Mete probably gets Tampa thinking (if they worry about sergachevs RFA #)

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
So basically you are telling me that number 8 overall is vastly superior by a wide margin to taking Gourde's contract, Lekhonen and a second? I just don't see it being that wide. How gourde's contract is not of negative value at this point when his coach plays him 14 minutes a night he is on pace for 35 points on a full season. His metrics are on the decline since his 64 points season and his coach doesn't use him, period. Tampa won't be able to retain every single player they have that's a given. The goal of my proposal is to help tampa bay with giving them solid players with cheap contracts to keep them in stanley cup contention while being able to re-sign Cirelli since they have Hedman who will probably always be in front of sergachev on the powerplay anyway. It is highly doubtful with their situation somebody will gift them caufield and we only have romanov on d who is good but not a lot would consider top-2 potential. Tampa will have to sacrifice some good players and I'm afraid if you guys didn't like the goodrow and 3rd for a 1st round pick and greco and the coleman for a first and nolan foote. How were those trades were perceived at first and how did they turn out so far? Everybody knows tampa's going all in this year and the next few as well since their window should be open for a cup for a couple more years but they won't be able to keep everyone. They are the ones being generous with their assets and I don't see a lot of teams doing them any favors with their recent trades and their future ones.

At best, I could add Romanov to add some value but that is as far as I would go for Sergachev and gourde.

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
So basically you are telling me that number 8 overall is vastly superior by a wide margin to taking Gourde's contract, Lekhonen and a second? I just don't see it being that wide. How gourde's contract is not of negative value at this point when his coach plays him 14 minutes a night he is on pace for 35 points on a full season. His metrics are on the decline since his 64 points season and his coach doesn't use him, period. Tampa won't be able to retain every single player they have that's a given. The goal of my proposal is to help tampa bay with giving them solid players with cheap contracts to keep them in stanley cup contention while being able to re-sign Cirelli since they have Hedman who will probably always be in front of sergachev on the powerplay anyway. It is highly doubtful with their situation somebody will gift them caufield and we only have romanov on d who is good but not a lot would consider top-2 potential. Tampa will have to sacrifice some good players and I'm afraid if you guys didn't like the goodrow and 3rd for a 1st round pick and greco and the coleman for a first and nolan foote. How were those trades were perceived at first and how did they turn out so far? Everybody knows tampa's going all in this year and the next few as well since their window should be open for a cup for a couple more years but they won't be able to keep everyone. They are the ones being generous with their assets and I don't see a lot of teams doing them any favors with their recent trades and their future ones.

At best, I could add Romanov to add some value but that is as far as I would go for Sergachev and gourde.
Meh + meh + meh
For
Greatness

This is BaAaAaAaAaAaD

Reactions: kevrondl

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Already been discussed. If Sergachev is coming is through the offer sheet route.

Also, Romanov is not getting traded and no way whatsoever that Gourde is coming here, no matter who is attached to him. None. Zip. That is such a bad idea.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Meh + meh + meh
For
Greatness

This is BaAaAaAaAaAaD
What? Gretzky was great...Orr was great....Howe was great....Sergechev is great??? Give me a break. Neutral fan here Sergachev is a decent player that’s it I don’t think he is capable of playing top pairing shut down minutes yet.

Reactions: Legend123

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
This trade is not Gourde for the Habs.

No way Gourde is coming to Montreal. Not without retention.

And Sergachev... Was traded for a winger by the Habs.
Doubt they have interest in rapatriating him.

Besides the team believes Romanov can be a Sergachev and maybe more.

So sure as $&%@ Habs won't give up Lehky, Mete and a 2nd for Gourde?!

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Tampa isn't dealing both Gourde and Sergachev to the Habs, Why would Sergachev even want to go back to Montreal after being dealt? If Bolts GM Julien BriseBois can move Yanni Gourde it would free up money to sign Sergachev that offer is :laugh: bad for Tampa and noway they do it.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I don’t trade Romanov to get back Sergachev. Call me crazy but I think Romanov will have a better impact on this team than Sergachev would have. Romanov’s game is hard to find.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tampa isn't dealing both Gourde and Sergachev to the Habs, Why would Sergachev even want to go back to Montreal after being dealt? If Bolts GM Julien BriseBois can move Yanni Gourde it would free up money to sign Sergachev that offer is :laugh: bad for Tampa and noway they do it.

Not good for Habs either. Pointless trade in fact. Habs need to develop Romanov and not take any shortcuts.

Gourde is overpaid and not wanted period.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I know this has been beaten to death but it seems these two teams could help each other

To Montreal

Yanni Gourde
Mikhail Sergachev

To Lightning

Arturri Lehkonen
Victor Mete
*Alexander Romanov

Gourde's contract is a problem in Tampa Bay but he could potentially rejuvenate his career as a top-six forward in Montreal, would play on our dreadful power play and would play on the PK. He would play a much bigger role in MTL. Lehkonen takes his spot on the third line at more than half the price and is pretty good at everything but playing the powerplay and only 10-15 scores goals per year but he wouldn't be counted on for the powerplay in tampa anyway. Lehkonen is also a RFA at the end of his contract so that is an added bonus.

Sergachev has huge value that is offset by the risk of Gourde's contract and would be the left defenseman needed moving forward for the Habs. Mete's the same age as sergachev, still has upside to develop into a serviceable top-4 ala Kris Rusell. He would be behind Hedman & McDonagh on the third pairing but can move up and down the lineup due to his tremendous skating ability even though he isn't much of a factor on the special units. I understand that the right side is much more of a problem for Tampa next year with only Cernak and a fading Coburn under contract. Maybe Cal Foote can be promoted and take a role on the blueline but I see their prospect pool is much thinner at D than at forward. Mete is also a RFA but wouldn't cost much to retain. Habs hopes Romanov is ready to sign a contract and basically replace Mete. Tampa re-signs a stop gas vet cheaply for the right side and re-signs Cirelli to a long term contract. Tampa gets an added 2nd round pick to offset their loss of sergachev.

So in this scenerio Mete becomes prime candidate to get lost in ED. Mete or Cernak or Foote one of them would go. And trade becomes way less appealing to TB.

Serg won't be traded in division. Pointless to think TB would willingly trade an at minimum potential top pair d-man for 10 years in division. Its offer sheet or bust for Habs.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

To Montreal

Yanni Gourde
Mikhail Sergachev

To Lightning

Arturri Lehkonen
Victor Mete
*Alexander Romanov

Hoping the Avs will offer-sheet Cirelli at close to $6.3MM AAV, the Habs hopefully offer-sheet Sergachev at the same time/same level to make Tampa scramble to retool their roster to match one or both deals. Tampa losing several valuable roster players in the process at pennies on the dollar in the event they can match both. Not going to be easy for Tampa with all the guys with limited and full NTCs.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hoping the Avs will offer-sheet Cirelli at close to $6.3MM AAV, the Habs hopefully offer-sheet Sergachev at the same time/same level to make Tampa scramble to retool their roster to match one or both deals. Tampa losing several valuable roster players in the process at pennies on the dollar in the event they can match both. Not going to be easy for Tampa with all the guys with limited and full NTCs.

Habs should offersheet Dunn instead at 4.27M and put the screws to St. Louis. TBL will likely cough up picks to dump a contract and trade Killorn for value.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Why are Montreal Fans constantly making threads for Serge? Tampa fans have been saying no the whole time, then some Montreal Fans get their panties in a bunch and start complaining Serge isn't as good anyway. Just stop making these threads in general. Or just get a mod to make a general thread named "Montreal Meltdown Trade threads: Where Montreal Fans Aren't Happy Either Way"

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Wondering what 90% of trade rumors will look like on hfboards if either
a)1 compliance buy out occurs
b)NHL allows 1 player to be salary cap exception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad