Proposal: MTL-Philly swap picks

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Just wondering how both teams fans would think about that trade proposal based on the following premise:

Habs seems high on drafting one of Demidov or Lindstrom at 5. They are also likely high on Iginla and Sennecke but at 5, seems like a reach.

So base on that, as a Habs fan, if both Demidov and Lindstrom are gone at 5, I would be open to trade down.

While I don’t know what Philly is looking for in this draft or if they would be at all interested in moving up, how would fans of both teams feel about a trade based around :

5OA for 12 OA + one of Farabee/Tippett/Konecny

Off course Habs would need to add. They have the 26/27OA and Colorado’s 2nd this year. They have somme interesting prospects, particularly on lhd. They also have 2 1sts pick and their 2nd in 2025 draft.

Off course, Konecny being involved in the trade would be based on him agreeing to a contract extension.

bleachdrinker

Sep 7, 2022
Philadelphia
Farabee and 12 feels most likely if they’re moving up just for the 5th OA but it would depend on what else is coming back from Montreal.

Would Konecny be useful for MTL? I don’t know how far along in their rebuild they are and he seems like a guy that would be better served going to at least a bubble team.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Hasn't this topic already been beaten to death in the "Montreal trading down" thread. I'll save tou tbe effort. Montreal fans want a significant asset to drop back that far. Other teams fans don't want to give up a significant asset to trade up that far.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Farabee and 12 feels most likely if they’re moving up just for the 5th OA but it would depend on what else is coming back from Montreal.

Would Konecny be useful for MTL? I don’t know how far along in their rebuild they are and he seems like a guy that would be better served going to at least a bubble team.
As for Farabee, the price to move up from 12 to 5 is about - late tens 1st pick. So I’m not sure Habs would have to add much. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd pick.

For Konecny, Habs wants to be competitive as far as next season, aka make the playoffs. With Dach coming back and progression from all the young players, I think a player like Konecny makes the Habs a playoffs team. I would personally be interested in acquiring him but I know there would be a lot of Habs that wouldn’t.

Hasn't this topic already been beaten to death in the "Montreal trading down" thread. I'll save tou tbe effort. Montreal fans want a significant asset to drop back that far. Other teams fans don't want to give up a significant asset to trade up that far.
Ok thanks for coming.

Reactions: Fatass

bleachdrinker

Sep 7, 2022
Philadelphia
As for Farabee, the price to move up from 12 to 5 is about - late tens 1st pick. So I’m not sure Habs would have to add much. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd pick.

For Konecny, Habs wants to be competitive as far as next season, aka make the playoffs. With Dach coming back and progression from all the young players, I think a player like Konecny makes the Habs a playoffs team. I would personally be interested in acquiring him but I know there would be a lot of Habs that wouldn’t.
Gotcha, I think Farabee makes sense value and age wise. He’s also had some issues with Torts so a change of scenery may be beneficial.

Tippett may be a harder get since the Flyers just inked him to an 8-year extension (and I don’t think that contract will end up being an anchor with rising cap) but I agree with usahockey that they should be willing to move whatever to draft higher.

Reactions: Benstheman

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Iginla is there at five and the Flyers can move into that spot to grab him, it will be the steal of the draft. Habs would be foolish to pass on that player.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Significant drop in value from picks 5-12. It would have to be a pretty big package. I see some incentive to trade down for the Habs, but to go from 5 to 12 likely means the Habs won't get the top player on their draft board (maybe not even the top 3 forwards on their board). Not sure if Farabee gets the job done here. The Habs are looking at Lindstrom/Sennecke/Iginla at 5. If they trade down to say 8th or 9th oa, they probably get a chance at 1 or 2 of those guys. If they trade down to 12, they'd be lucky to get 1 of them. They are probably looking at Helenius/Catton/Eiserman in the 12 spot.

I do see the incentive for a lot of these defensemen hungry teams like the Flyers, Sabres, Senators, Kraken, Flames and Utah whatevers to try and jump past each other to get their guy. The last thing any of these teams want is to be force fed a defenseman they weren't fond of. This draft will be interesting because there is a ton of potential for chaos (trading down a few picks here and there).

Reactions: Benstheman

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
If Iginla is there at five and the Flyers can move into that spot to grab him, it will be the steal of the draft. Habs would be foolish to pass on that player.
I agree and that's the pick I want for The Habs but many scouts have the top 2 guys and then its a toss up for the next 10 guys. There could be a run on the 6-8 Dmen in the top half of the draft and The Habs get their guy anyways.....

If the asset(s) they could get is worth it then maybe a drop down 3-5 spots isn't so bad. Its going to be really costly for a team to get to #5 though

All that being said, I would not make the deal until I know who is there at 5. If its Celebrini and then 3 of the Dmen go, Habs wont pass on Demidov (or I hope they dont)

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Significant drop in value from picks 5-12. It would have to be a pretty big package. I see some incentive to trade down for the Habs, but to go from 5 to 12 likely means the Habs won't get the top player on their draft board (maybe not even the top 3 forwards on their board). Not sure if Farabee gets the job done here. The Habs are looking at Lindstrom/Sennecke/Iginla at 5. If they trade down to say 8th or 9th oa, they probably get a chance at 1 or 2 of those guys. If they trade down to 12, they'd be lucky to get 1 of them. They are probably looking at Helenius/Catton/Eiserman in the 12 spot.

I do see the incentive for a lot of these defensemen hungry teams like the Flyers, Sabres, Senators, Kraken, Flames and Utah whatevers to try and jump past each other to get their guy. The last thing any of these teams want is to be force fed a defenseman they weren't fond of. This draft will be interesting because there is a ton of potential for chaos (trading down a few picks here and there).
Sabres certainly do not need a dman. Power, Dahlin, Byram, Samuelsson, Jokiharju, Komarov nice prospect.

Flyers could use one but they have bigger needs elsewhere that will be filled at 12 with Helenius, Catton, Eiserman like you said.

Dropoff is not at 12, more around 15.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just wondering how both teams fans would think about that trade proposal based on the following premise:

Habs seems high on drafting one of Demidov or Lindstrom at 5. They are also likely high on Iginla and Sennecke but at 5, seems like a reach.

So base on that, as a Habs fan, if both Demidov and Lindstrom are gone at 5, I would be open to trade down.

While I don’t know what Philly is looking for in this draft or if they would be at all interested in moving up, how would fans of both teams feel about a trade based around :

Off course Habs would need to add. They have the 26/27OA and Colorado’s 2nd this year. They have somme interesting prospects, particularly on lhd. They also have 2 1sts pick and their 2nd in 2025 draft.

Off course, Konecny being involved in the trade would be based on him agreeing to a contract extension.
Too far back. Habs needs goals! Demidov, Ignila, Lindstrom are all first line forwards, 100% be gone by 12. Sennecke 80% chance be gone by 12. Habs are staying at 5, picking best forward available.

Reactions: CDN24

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Feels like Gauthier + 7oa for 5th oa again.

Foerster not available.

Konecny sure.

Farabee doubt it no depth at lw.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree and that's the pick I want for The Habs but many scouts have the top 2 guys and then its a toss up for the next 10 guys. There could be a run on the 6-8 Dmen in the top half of the draft and The Habs get their guy anyways.....

If the asset(s) they could get is worth it then maybe a drop down 3-5 spots isn't so bad. Its going to be really costly for a team to get to #5 though

All that being said, I would not make the deal until I know who is there at 5. If its Celebrini and then 3 of the Dmen go, Habs wont pass on Demidov (or I hope they dont)
Off course we would draft Lindstrom or Demidov if they were there at 5.

And I wouldn’t be mad at all if we pick Iginla at 5 but I fell like it would be kinda of a stretch. Even more Sennecke.

Just looking at options and what teams could be interested to trade up.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsAddict

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Flyers say no
I understand, but for the majority of habs fans, Farabee or Tippett don't move the flyers up 7 spots. not even close. Konecny is nice, but he's already 27 and will want a big payday in a year.
I'm not making this move.

These threads popping up because of pagnotta's article today. Habs will be happy to take Iginla at 5 imo, and use whatever other assets they have to target a young F in a trade

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I understand, but for the majority of habs fans, Farabee or Tippett don't move the flyers up 7 spots. not even close. Konecny is nice, but he's already 27 and will want a big payday in a year.
I'm not making this move.

These threads popping up because of pagnotta's article today. Habs will be happy to take Iginla at 5 imo, and use whatever other assets they have to target a young F in a trade
Who is Pagnotta?

Link?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Interesting, but that alone won't land you Tipp or TK. The issue I have with this draft is after the first 3 picks you can put the next 10 in a hat and pull names.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Thing is both Habs and Flyers lose interest for 5th oa if Demidov is off as he should be.

Maybe try a team looking for a D. But again there are 5 of them bunched close.

Flyers run at the podium for Catton or Helenius at 12. Lindstrom should be gone but here is an outside chance he drops because of his back.

My gut feeling is nothing happens and Hughes gets Iginla at 5.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Interesting, but that alone won't land you Tipp or TK. The issue I have with this draft is after the first 3 picks you can put the next 10 in a hat and pull names.
Fair enough.

Tippett and Konecny are two entirely different things. I guess if Philly wants to keep Konecny and Konecny wants to stay, no matter the contracts he wants, then he is off limits. But if they know his askings and don’t want to meet them, then we can talk. Now he becomes a rental.
Thing is both Habs and Flyers lose interest for 5th oa if Demidov is off as he should be.

Maybe try a team looking for a D. But again there are 5 of them bunched close.

Flyers run at the podium for Catton or Helenius at 12. Lindstrom should be gone but here is an outside chance he drops because of his back.

My gut feeling is nothing happens and Hughes gets Iginla at 5.
maybe yes.

I’m not too familiar with Philly dmen prospects but if I’m not mistaken, it’s nothing impressive. Don’t you think they would be interested in a D at 5?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Fair enough.

Tippett and Konecny are two entirely different things. I guess if Philly wants to keep Konecny and Konecny wants to stay, no matter the contracts he wants, then he is off limits. But if they know his askings and don’t want to meet them, then we can talk. Now he becomes a rental.

maybe yes.

I’m not too familiar with Philly dmen prospects but if I’m not mistaken, it’s nothing impressive. Don’t you think they would be interested in a D at 5?
Any Flyer not named Michkov could be had at the right price. If Lindstrom and Catton are gone then yes I could see them picking D there at 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad