Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Philip Danault re-signs with Canadiens (2 years, $912K AAV)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That completes my wish from the end of the season. From all of the RFAs, I wanted Habs to qualify and sign 4 players (Ghetto, Carr, Barberio, and Danault). Done, done, done, and done!

Danault is a great bottom six forward with speed and hustle. A line with him, Mitchell, and Byron would be a fast and energetic fourth line. He can even move up on the third on occasion and can play with his ex-Hawks teammate, Shaw.

Now Habs have about 255K in cap space. Not much to work with. But I'm sure trades are being worked on.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Danault is a great bottom six forward with speed and hustle. A line with him, Mitchell, and Byron would be a fast and energetic fourth line. He can even move up on the third on occasion and can play with his ex-Hawks teammate, Shaw.

Now Habs have about 255K in cap space. Not much to work with. But I'm sure trades are being worked on.

I could see a Danault Mitchell Byron line and it would be a quick one.

The Habs should have just over 2M in cap space for 23 players if you take out Condon and Redmond's cap hits since they aren't going to carry 3 goalies and Condon is the likely one to be in the AHL over Montoya.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I could see a Danault Mitchell Byron line and it would be a quick one.

The Habs should have just over 2M in cap space for 23 players if you take out Condon and Redmond's cap hits since they aren't going to carry 3 goalies and Condon is the likely one to be in the AHL over Montoya.

That is a huge assumption. Condon would be a good candidate to be picked up on waivers... Montoya not so much. Plus keeping Condon over Montoya opens up an addtional $375 in cap space and when things are as tight as they are, every dollar is important. My take is that Montoya was picked up in case Price was not 100% ready to start the season. If Price is ready I think Montoya would be the one exposed to waivers, if Price is not ready the Habs have 2 goaltenders with NHL experience. It's a nice insurance policy.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Wonder what goes in gm or agents' heads when they ask for random numbers like 912k and not 900 or 925 or 950

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

That is a huge assumption. Condon would be a good candidate to be picked up on waivers... Montoya not so much. Plus keeping Condon over Montoya opens up an addtional $375 in cap space and when things are as tight as they are, every dollar is important. My take is that Montoya was picked up in case Price was not 100% ready to start the season. If Price is ready I think Montoya would be the one exposed to waivers, if Price is not ready the Habs have 2 goaltenders with NHL experience. It's a nice insurance policy.

I would think the only way Montoya would be sent down is if Condon has an outstanding camp/preseason and Montoya struggles. I think it's highly unlikely that Condon is the backup over Montoya.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wonder what goes in gm or agents' heads when they ask for random numbers like 912k and not 900 or 925 or 950

912K isn't his salary, it's his AAV. His salary for 2016-17 will be 875K and in 2017-18 it will be 950K. His actual salary are round numbers, but the AAV is the average of 875 and 950 for two years, hence a cap hit of 912K.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
912K isn't his salary, it's his AAV. His salary for 2016-17 will be 875K and in 2017-18 it will be 950K. His actual salary are round numbers, but the AAV is the average of 875 and 950 for two years, hence a cap hit of 912K.

Forgot it was aav, im tired lol

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I would think the only way Montoya would be sent down is if Condon has an outstanding camp/preseason and Montoya struggles. I think it's highly unlikely that Condon is the backup over Montoya.

Highly unlikely. They wouldn't make it a point to sign Montoya just to put him on waivers in October. I predict Condon is traded this summer.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

How did this get in the Danault thread?

Hmmm... I don't know... :help:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Highly unlikely. They wouldn't make it a point to sign Montoya just to put him on waivers in October. I predict Condon is traded this summer.

When was the last time a mediocre goalie prospect was traded?

Goalies only seem to acquire value after they do well as a NHL backup, prove some consistency. Mike Condon's 3 good weeks to start then sub .900 for the rest of the season isn't exactly at that level yet.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
When was the last time a mediocre goalie prospect was traded?

Goalies only seem to acquire value after they do well as a NHL backup, prove some consistency. Mike Condon's 3 good weeks to start then sub .900 for the rest of the season isn't exactly at that level yet.

We traded Tokarski last year and he was much worse than Condon.

Condon has a dirt cheap salary and looked good when he was playing a backup's schedule, I wouldn't expect more than an average prospect for him but I'm sure some teams would be interested in him as a cheap backup option/third goalie.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
We traded Tokarski last year and he was much worse than Condon.

Condon has a dirt cheap salary and looked good when he was playing a backup's schedule, I wouldn't expect more than an average prospect for him but I'm sure some teams would be interested in him as a cheap backup option/third goalie.

Well if we are lowering the return threshold down to average, longshot prospect, then yes a Tokarski or Condon can be traded. I was talking about actual premium return (1st/2nd round picks, NHL roster players or good prospects, etc).

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Well if we are lowering the return threshold down to average, longshot prospect, then yes a Tokarski or Condon can be traded. I was talking about actual premium return (1st/2nd round picks, NHL roster players or good prospects, etc).

Not sure why you would assume we meant that as the asking price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad