Confirmed with Link: [MTL/PHI] Nate Thompson to Philly for 2021 5th Round Pick

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I was thinking about that too.... Laval can't be depleted again

While listening to the last game, they mentioned that Laval has six ... SIX !!! players who are injured and watching in the stands, and that does not include the fact that some Laval players are with the big club making up for Habs injuries, such as Xavier Ouellet., and I forget who else.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While listening to the last game, they mentioned that Laval has six ... SIX !!! players who are injured and watching in the stands, and that does not include the fact that some Laval players are with the big club making up for Habs injuries, such as Xavier Ouellet., and I forget who else.

It's an issue for sure that I feel most fans don't understand

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Most games have key faceoffs in defensive zone when leading. And most faceoffs are important on the pk. Thats what 4th liners are for. The fact that there is no advanced stat should not take away common sense.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Agreed
While listening to the last game, they mentioned that Laval has six ... SIX !!! players who are injured and watching in the stands, and that does not include the fact that some Laval players are with the big club making up for Habs injuries, such as Xavier Ouellet., and I forget who else.[/QUOTE
agreed. They’re going to deplete Laval and that’ll kill their playoff run. Although, won’t there be any minor league or Europeans available to play there soon?
Honestly though, I’d be very surprised if MB was done. There should be a very high demand for Tatar and Petry. The price should be high. I can’t believe he’d be that stupid if the price was right.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

We'll see how well Bergevin understands by the end of the day :)

I agree with your point though. A lot of fans are writing "trade everybody for draft picks", but a GM can't do that, he needs to have two full rosters under contract at all times.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The market is all over the place. IMO Thompson this year is better than Plekanec was when we traded him to the Leafs. But Pleks got a 2nd plus two B/C prospects - one of whom turned into Kulak. And Thompson got us a 5th. It is what it is.
I think Thompson is a lot better than what he get credit for and bring a lot of small things. I expected a 4th... but yes the prices are all over, and there are lot seller and similar player available today.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I agree with your point though. A lot of fans are writing "trade everybody for draft picks", but a GM can't do that, he needs to have two full rosters under contract at all times.

Bergevin is going to be hated even more at the end of the day I am sure :nod:. Interesting times and I can see more frustration to come

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Thompson is a lot better than what he get credit for and bring a lot of small things. I expected a 4th... but yes the prices are all over, and there are lot seller and similar player available today.

Personally, I think Thompson playing 4C for us for the rest of the year where we don't deplete Laval by calling someone up is worth more than a 5th. I would have only traded Thompson if I got a 2021 3rd and conditional pick if he re signed.

Both Laval and the Habs going to miss the playoffs again

Reactions: calder candidate

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Personally, I think Thompson playing 4C for us for the rest of the year where we don't deplete Laval by calling someone up is worth more than a 5th. I would have only traded Thompson if I got a 2021 3rd and conditional pick if he re signed.

MB just needs another 5 years or so...then, and only then, will the Habs and Laval get it going on...patience guys.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

myth.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
Bergevin is going to be hated even more at the end of the day I am sure :nod:. Interesting times and I can see more frustration to come

Hoping the habs trade some of the stockpiled picks in order to move up in the draft, also was hoping the habs would have added some 3rds, 4ths, or 5ths with Kovy or whoever is traded today to move up in the draft

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I agree, Laval making the playoff should be the #1 priority right now, KK, Poehling, Evans, Fleury, Brooks, Primeau need to play some meaningful games...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hoping the habs trade some of the stockpiled picks in order to move up in the draft, also was hoping the habs would have added some 3rds, 4ths, or 5ths with Kovy or whoever is traded today to move up in the draft

Ok, but mb has repeatedly said he doesn't like to move up in the draft. He prefers to move down and get even more picks.

I expect to see us move down at least once. Look for Timmins to tey to twist his arm to move up. Only way we move up is if Timmins really sells him hard on a certain player.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Ok, but mb has repeatedly said he doesn't like to move up in the draft. He prefers to move down and get even more picks.

I expect to see us move down at least once. Look for Timmins to tey to twist his arm to move up. Only way we move up is if Timmins really sells him hard on a certain player.

Got to move up. Took all 2011 and 2012 draftees who played 300 games+ all 2013-16 draftees who played 200+. Never mind if they are stars, 4th liners.
152 players met my criteria: 95 drafted 1st round (65%) and then it drops some. 2nd round 18%, 3rd round 8%, 4th round 6% and rounds 5-6-7 produced 3 such players (over 6 drafts...) or 2%.

Move up

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Got to move up. Took all 2011 and 2012 draftees who played 300 games+ all 2013-16 draftees who played 200+. Never mind if they are stars, 4th liners.
152 players met my criteria: 95 drafted 1st round (65%) and then it drops some. 2nd round 18%, 3rd round 8%, 4th round 6% and rounds 5-6-7 produced 3 such players (over 6 drafts...) or 2%.

Move up

Please, try to convince MB.

But good luck with that.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
Pls tell me we skipped and are now april 1st....pls...there needs to be an explanation...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Please, try to convince MB.

But good luck with that.
Thing is these trades barely happen. Just checked draft 16-19. when it does its mostly backing off 1-3 spots and get a late pick for your patience. Thought there were 3 2nd rounders for 1 first. Nope. Not discussing pick swaps that includes nhlers as part of the deals though. So got to involve nhlers to move up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Thing is these trades barely happen. Just checked draft 16-19. when it does its mostly backing off 1-3 spots and get a late pick for your patience. Thought there were 3 2nd rounders for 1 first. Nope. Not discussing pick swaps that includes nhlers as part of the deals though. So got to involve nhlers to move up.

mb has moved back in the last two drafts. 1st Timmins wanted hillis in the 2nd round, but they moved back, got an extra pick, and then selected Hillis in the 3rd round. Last year they did the exact same thing with Norlinder. I expect them to do it this year with one of their 2nds and 4ths to bank more picks for next year.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Didn’t like this player at all. He did bring small things which is why he would’ve been a good warm body to keep around as a stop gap on a crappy team while we sold off more significant pieces while the team is crappy. But their hell bent on “being competitive” when in reality they’re no where close to that. The delusion in this organization is beyond bizarre right now. This Bergevin/Molson era is getting ridiculous. Year after year they can’t commit to a direction. Molson is scared of what will happen if he doesn’t ice a team that can’t pass as competitive, yet he’s to much of an idiot to realize he’s already there and anyone with a few functioning brain cells can see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad