Confirmed Trade: [MTL/MIN] Mike Reilly for 2019 5th round

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Still a good gamble on a pmd
Yeah, he is. Good skating and handles never grow old. What he needs is some regular TOI and patience. He will make mistakes, but he can't be stapled to the bench every time he does make one. Just makes for an anxious player. Wild can't afford to play him much right now with playoffs on the line, and other young LHD have been steadier, if not as offensively gifted.

Leddy looked pretty bad for the first few years, also. Similar players, for the same type background and area of Minneapolis.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I really liked Reilly's skating and willingness to rush the puck. Also made great stretch passes from time to time.

He's still young, so this could be a steal for Montreal if all the pieces come together.

I don't mind this from the Wild's perspective. I don't think Reilly was ever going to surpass bottom-pairing status, and we have a few other guys waiting to take his place.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Reilly needs a new team. Never thought he got a fair shake here. I saw a player that was afraid to use his natural offensive skills in fear of being benched for a defensive mistake. In the end both ends of his game were ruined. Could be another Darcy Kuemper scenario with a new team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Reilly needs a new team. Never thought he got a fair shake here. I saw a player that was afraid to use his natural offensive skills in fear of being benched for a defensive mistake. In the end both ends of his game were ruined. Could be another Darcy Kuemper scenario with a new team.

The problem was that using his natural offensive skill resulted in a defensive mistake half the time. Can’t have that from your < 15 minute a night 3rd pair d-man. That’s an easy ticket to the bench, on any team.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
Not gonna lie, if he ever gets regular playing time, and figures out how to use his brain on defense, he COULD be a Ryan Ellis type player. He's very gifted offensively. Problem is, that's all he does, is plays offense.

Hope he does well.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not gonna lie, if he ever gets regular playing time, and figures out how to use his brain on defense, he COULD be a Ryan Ellis type player. He's very gifted offensively. Problem is, that's all he does, is plays offense.

Hope he does well.

Good, the Habs can’t score.

I think he just wasn’t surpassing anyone else in Minny for icetime. Hope he gets a bunch of it for the last 18 games.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
he can't be stapled to the bench every time he does make one. Just makes for an anxious player.
Yeah....Julien isn't exactly the nurturing, let's be patient with kids type. He'll glue him to the bench and he'll do it often. This is the genius that played Galchenyuk on the 4th line because of his defensive lapses.

The kid is screwed here.

Reactions: powerstuck and HOPE

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah....sounds like Julien will hate him. Still, if there ever was a time and place to give a talented but flawed player TOI, it would be now, and in MTL, no?

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
His defensive lapses tend to be big ones that lead to goals. Maybe he will be better in a few years when he figures it out. Right now he does not belong on an NHL team that is trying to be good.
He better learn quite quick or the Hab faithful and press will eat him alive.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yeah....Julien isn't exactly the nurturing, let's be patient with kids type. He'll glue him to the bench and he'll do it often. This is the genius that played Galchenyuk on the 4th line because of his defensive lapses.

The kid is screwed here.

Then again, Julien sometimes played Joe Morrow over 20 minutes a game and he was a disaster on skates in his own zone. Reilly should get a good look and paying a 5th rounder for the gamble is a worthwhile price.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Best of luck to Reilly, happy we opened a roster spot and were able to get something out of it. Also seems like a fresh start will do him good and some regular ice time. Tough to get into a groove when you're playing once ever 7 games. Love the offensive upside, if he limits ridiculous turnovers in our half, I think he can play in this league and be effective.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He's a good pick-up. I don't think he's really that far from being a contributor . He just needs half a season of consistent, quality minutes.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I don't know much about Reilly as a NHLer - I just remember the hooplah about him as a prospect. Seems like a good value acquisition by the Habs. Really not much downside here. The Habs need more PMD types and that's Reilly's style. If he doesn't work out they lose the 5th they got for Jerabek, so not a catastrophe.

I like that Bergevin keeps working on the defense. A lot of Habs fans slag him for it but Valiev and Reilly seem like good new recruits. Personally, keeping Benn and Schlemko over Morrow, Davidson, Streit and Jerabek seems like the right call, and they gave all of those guys a chance to play some. Seems to me he and Julien are doing it the right way, albeit a very patient way.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Bergevin made 2 good moves this TDL. Getting a decent return for Plekanec, sounds like he might come back in the summer.

Getting Reilly is a super low risk move. He has offensive skill and never was able to get proper ice time on a decent Wild d core.

Reilly>Morrow

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Bergevin made 2 good moves this TDL. Getting a decent return for Plekanec, sounds like he might come back in the summer.

Getting Reilly is a super low risk move. He has offensive skill and never was able to get proper ice time on a decent Wild d core.

Reilly>Morrow

I agree. Plekanec, Reilly, Morrow were all good moves. The only bad one was the Jerabek move but the the good moves easily make up for it.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I agree. Plekanec, Reilly, Morrow were all good moves. The only bad one was the Jerabek move but the the good moves easily make up for it.
I liked the Jerabek move too. He looked ok at times but he was redundent and Benn and Schlemko and Mete all look better than Jerabek. Maybe he turns out ok. Who knows? But he's UFA, and I certainly didn't want the Habs to sign him long term yet based on what I saw.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Then again, Julien sometimes played Joe Morrow over 20 minutes a game and he was a disaster on skates in his own zone. Reilly should get a good look and paying a 5th rounder for the gamble is a worthwhile price.
That's because Morrow is a veteran. He loves his veterans.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
One of the best moves of the deadline. Montreal get a decent defenceman in the making for a bag of peanuts.

This trade goes vastly under the radar. The commentators not talking about it shows their true hockey sense as well.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I liked the Jerabek move too. He looked ok at times but he was redundent and Benn and Schlemko and Mete all look better than Jerabek. Maybe he turns out ok. Who knows? But he's UFA, and I certainly didn't want the Habs to sign him long term yet based on what I saw.

I disagree. I think he looked better than Benn out there and was pretty much the same level as Schlemko. I liked his smarts and puck movement, I think he is a decent all around dman who has upside for even a regular top 4 role. I feel he didn't get a good enough look with the Habs and was traded far too early. A one year extension would've been perfect. Then again, I don't know if he would've taken it after how he got pinballed between Laval, the Habs and the press box. Not an ideal situation for him and he still managed to make good of it when given a chance. Wish him good luck with the Caps and wherever he goes from there.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I disagree. I think he looked better than Benn out there and was pretty much the same level as Schlemko. I liked his smarts and puck movement, I think he is a decent all around dman who has upside for even a regular top 4 role. I feel he didn't get a good enough look with the Habs and was traded far too early. A one year extension would've been perfect. Then again, I don't know if he would've taken it after how he got pinballed between Laval, the Habs and the press box. Not an ideal situation for him and he still managed to make good of it when given a chance. Wish him good luck with the Caps and wherever he goes from there.

I can understand your perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad