Confirmed Buy-Out [MTL] Karl Alzner

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Cool.

Did you praise the signing of Ben Chariot as a great under the radar signing that was really going to help the Canadiens?
Nope. I had no real opinion on that signing. But i bashed Alzner's deal completely. Look up my old posts (i think you can search them, no?).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
A disaster of a deal the second it was signed.

Maybe GMs will clue in that big physical exclusively defensive defenseman have a tendency to not age well. But I wouldn't bet on it.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
As a Leafs fan I hope Montreal never fires Bergevin. Ten more years, I say.
Well I would sooner have bergevin over dubas any day . Sergachev and alzner were two blemishes for sure . Dubas ruined what could have been a good thing .

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Clearly a move of good faith towards the player and his agent. I get it. Having good working relationships is important.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
It wasn't Alzner's fault. The Habs were just too deep on defense, especially the left side!

He signed that contract and that first year had to fight for a spot all year against stalwarts like Jordie Benn, Joe Morrow, David Schlemko, Jakub Jerabek, Brett Lernout, Brendon Davidson, Rinat Valiev and Mark Reilly. Good times.

That same year Vic Mete emerged and started his Scott Gomez scoring streak!!

Then the defense improved with rocks like Xavier Ouellet and future HoFer Brett Kulak.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Well I would sooner have bergevin over dubas any day . Sergachev and alzner were two blemishes for sure . Dubas ruined what could have been a good thing .

It says a lot that you have specific examples of Bergevin's failures, but when it comes to Dubas its vague allegations that he "ruined" the team.

All of the Leafs' supposedly terrible contracts combined are probably less of an overpayment than Alzner (who will manage to suck up even more cap space this season, what a parting gift).

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
It says a lot that you have specific examples of Bergevin's failures, but when it comes to Dubas its vague allegations that he "ruined" the team.

All of the Leafs' supposedly terrible contracts combined are probably less of an overpayment than Alzner (who will manage to suck up even more cap space this season, what a parting gift).

Why are you so salty? Marner is heavily overpaid considering pastrnak, kucherov, stone, barkov, mackinnon, zibanejad, aho , Crosby, malkin, draisaitl, and many many more players make less considerably less money than him. He deserved about 8 mill on a 5 year deal. That 3mill overpaid for the next 4 years in a flat cap. On top Dubas traded Kadri for trash. He traded a good D for ceci a bottom pairing D at best making 5 mill.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Everyone knew it would end this way the day it was signed.

Bergevin repeated the same mistake with Edmundson just a few weeks ago.

He never learns.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Alzner played in only five of the seven games that series and posted an even plus/minus rating.

I really don't think he was a big reason they lost or any factor at all.

This will sound snarky but I'm not meaning it to be that way -- genuinely curious, did you watch that series at all or are you stat-picking?

Alzner's wife has to open jars for him because his hands are shot. His groin was shredded so he couldn't skate. His body was done and he looked every bit of it that year.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Everyone knew it would end this way the day it was signed.

Bergevin repeated the same mistake with Edmundson just a few weeks ago.

He never learns.

Edmunson was the number 4/5 d on a cup winning team 2 years ago and can skate. If alzner could still skate he'd be playing still...

I feelblike the same was said about Chiarot.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

I’ll give it two years and when it becomes more clearer for you with the Matthews situation you’ll be wanting to hang dubas Yourself

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
This Josh Anderson move still really doesn't explain why they would buy out Alzner this year instead of next.

As far as I can tell it would have been more beneficial in every way to wait one more year, unless you need the cap space this year.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This Josh Anderson move still really doesn't explain why they would buy out Alzner this year instead of next.

As far as I can tell it would have been more beneficial in every way to wait one more year, unless you need the cap space this year.

Buying alzner this year means the cap hit is lower next year. They need money next year not this one. So instead of having the hit be over two next year it is now under.

Reactions: Canadienna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad