Waived: [MTL] F Mitchell Stephens waived by the Canadiens (cleared)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Warm body.

However, this leaves the Habs with only Suzuki, Monahan and Evans as healthy C in the NHL.

Could mean nothing or maybe Hughes will make a move.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sending Barron down and waiving Stephens to send down - who is coming off IR for the Habs? Pearson?
Yeah, I imagine so. He was close to returning a week ago, so must be ready now.

Stephens is a centre and limits the Habs for centres, though as Dach and Dvorak are done.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Warm body.

However, this leaves the Habs with only Suzuki, Monahan and Evans as healthy C in the NHL.

Could mean nothing or maybe Hughes will make a move.
Gotta wonder if Allen could be on the move for an overpriced center...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Warm body with a decent motor who plays center.

But that leaves Montreal with only three centers (I think Ylonen has played there in the past but that doesn't make much sense to move him there -- he's already struggling to make his mark on the wing).

(I did forget about Pezzetta, but his game screams NOT A CENTER AT NHL LEVEL)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The whole 3 centers thing is strange. I'd guess a small trade for an overpaid bottom 6c with at most 1 year left after this one allowing the trading team to get some extra cap space for the TDL.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
The whole 3 centers thing is strange. I'd guess a small trade for an overpaid bottom 6c with at most 1 year left after this one allowing the trading team to get some extra cap space for the TDL.
Both moves today seem to indicate some moves. We're way overloaded with LD, and not so much depth on RD, yet we send a reasonably well performing RD down to bring up a LD who struggled early-on. And then we waive our 4th line C who actually didn't look out of place in that role without an obvious replacement. Totally reeks of more moves to come...

Reactions: mattyboy

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Both moves today seem to indicate some moves. We're way overloaded with LD, and not so much depth on RD, yet we send a reasonably well performing RD down to bring up a LD who struggled early-on. And then we waive our 4th line C who actually didn't look out of place in that role without an obvious replacement. Totally reeks of more moves to come...
Centers is strange definitely but Barron has struggled of late while Xhekaj has excelled in Laval. I wouldn't read too much into that part honestly

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Centers is strange definitely but Barron has struggled of late while Xhekaj has excelled in Laval. I wouldn't read too much into that part honestly
Especially if we think they're going to trade Monahan. So I smell some moves. Maybe we're taking on another cap dump center for prospects and/or picks.

And I don't think moving Barron down had as much to do due to his play. Gorton hinted today that it was more about trying to spread playing time around and Barron being an easy waiver-wire exempt guy to send down, and it's bonus to work on his game some in Laval.

Always a fun time of year, either way!

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Still no news on the c situation? Any chance the waiver is for cap reasons? I remember MB sent em down on paper and called them up to save some money

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Roy is playing well so Stephans was not needed.

The rule of the NHL jungle is that if you have two equal lower level players you keep the youngsters over the vets. They have a chance to improve and are the future.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad