Proposal: MTL - EDM - OTT

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You are kinda missing the point here.

If he doesn't agree in principal to sign, then the trade falls through. You think there aren't going to be multiple offers? A trade like this doesn't happen unless the agent is involved. He's already submitted a list of teams he'd accept a trade to.

I think there are going to be a multitude of offers. I think there will be two sets of offers - one set that will be for if the team trading for him considers him a glorified rental, and another set in the ‘turris’ realm. Ultimately it’s going to be up to Karlsson. If he decides he wants to test free agency, Ottawa is up shit creek. Not only because it’ll drive his price down, it’ll severely limit the pool of viable teams.

If a team is on Karlsson’s ‘sure you can trade me there’ list, would it not be safe to assume that more teams would shoot their shot in free agency instead of giving into Ottawa fans ridiculous ‘it’ll take your young first line C ++ asking prices?’

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
If I were Edmonton I would just do separate deals here. One for Byron and one for an unsigned Karlsson. No need for a 3-way since Montreal robs everyone blind.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No thanks.
I'd rather just attempt to pick up those assets in the UFA market.
If that doesn't work something else will.
Now giving up the farm for a few pending UFAs.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
TO MTL:
Draisaitl
Duchene

TO EDM:
Karlsson
Pacioretty
Byron
Been

TO OTT:
MTL 1st 2018 (4th Overall)
EDM 1st 2018 (9th Overall)
Schlemko (Salary Reasons)

Ottawa: Would have 3 Picks in the First 10 Picks this year, Shed Some Salary While Adding high Quality Picks.

MTL: Gets 2 top 6 centers, which they very much need.

Edmonton: Adds a numbers one D, and Top 6, and speedy Winger.

Youre a Canadiens fan, right?
Draisaitl and Duchene for that collection of junk is laughable

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
What an absolute garbage trade for Ottawa.

10 laughing melnyks/10

Not gonna bother commenting on anything beyond that.

Edit: not a sens fan. No horse in this (very one sided) race

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Montreal turns pending UFA Pacioretty and their 1st into Draisaitl and Duchene?

lol, no dice.

change byron to gallagher and its closer

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I can't believe that people still don't understand in a Karlsson trade, the destination team is given permission to speak to him before the trade is even completed to get an extension worked out ahead of time. I mean...come on folks. There's literally no other way it happens.

Agreed. But it seems pretty irrelevant whether you can talk to him or not. He claims he is going to get what hes worth, which means there is a high % he goes to free agency regardless of what a team offers him. He may go UFA and then give Ottawa the chance to match an offer, but I can't see him owing any loyalty to a team he is traded to for one year.

Highly doubt karlsson will be traded because I don't believe he will sign a preemptive deal anywhere

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
TO MTL:
Draisaitl
Duchene

TO EDM:
Karlsson
Pacioretty
Byron
Been

TO OTT:

Ottawa: Would have 3 Picks in the First 10 Picks this year, Shed Some Salary While Adding high Quality Picks.

Well congrats you won the worse offer in history of hfboard ottawa completely gets fleeced and by the way i'm a habs fan.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I was thinking this was a Habs fan that made this offer, but then I realized it has to be a Colorado fan. It guarantees them a top pick for next year from Ottawa.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
TO MTL:
Draisaitl
Duchene

TO EDM:
Karlsson
Pacioretty
Byron
Been

TO OTT:

giphy.gif

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
JFC are we even trying anymore.

I usually just browse this forum for the lol's & this proposal delivers.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Op should have included all the Canadians so we could all give up a top player to Montreal for a fraction of market value.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
TO MTL:
Draisaitl
Duchene

TO EDM:
Karlsson
Pacioretty
Byron
Been

TO OTT:

Bergevin would be named GM For Life if he was able to pull that

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Lmao i didn’t like the trade when I Thought it was just Karlsson and then I saw Duchene.

Awful proposal, maybe the worst ever.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
TO MTL:
Draisaitl
Duchene

TO EDM:
Karlsson
Byron

TO OTT:
Gakchenyuk
Juulsen
Wash 2018 2nd (via Mtl)

Still too much from Edmonton. Byron has almost no value to us as a rental and this would have to be a signed Karlsson long term under 10 mil.

Habs are still making out like bandits. 4th Galchenyuk, and spare parts for two 1C’s? Not a chance.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
TO MTL:
Draisaitl
Duchene

TO EDM:
Karlsson
Byron

TO OTT:
Gakchenyuk
Juulsen
Wash 2018 2nd (via Mtl)

Montreal would be cut out of this deal quite easily.

If a signed Karlsson for Draisaitl as a base works at some level, Ottawa and Edmonton will figure out a deal together.

Ottawa also has zero interest in helping MTL's biggest weakness, and zero interest in moving our 1C

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Agreed. But it seems pretty irrelevant whether you can talk to him or not. He claims he is going to get what hes worth, which means there is a high % he goes to free agency regardless of what a team offers him. He may go UFA and then give Ottawa the chance to match an offer, but I can't see him owing any loyalty to a team he is traded to for one year.

Highly doubt karlsson will be traded because I don't believe he will sign a preemptive deal anywhere
I think you are WAY off. There's no reason for him NOT to sign a deal before hand. If it's the value and term he's looking for the only reason not to, would be spite. Perhaps there is some problems between player and organization, but to go out of his way to screw over his current organization and teammates isn't a professional move.

Don't forget that he submitted a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to, so the teams approaching him would already be the teams he was considering.

The idea that he'd hold out on contract talks out of pure spite is kinda of ridiculous logic. I'd agree there's a non zero chance, but it's far more likely he either re-signs, or is traded with a deal in place. I'd say the UFA route is such an improbability, it doesn't really warrant mention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad