Proposal: MTL & CAROLINA

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I like H. Fleury a lot and would like to have him in MTL, however, with the Expansion draft coming, it would be hard to imagine because you'll have to protect him. I believe that such players will have their value impacted the most by the Expansion draft. If I were DET that's one of the players I would think about bringing onboard.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So you want the habs to give up two high second round picks and one high 3rd round pick for a player to play in the bottom pairing when we have Mete that can easily play that role?
:huh:

Im not sure I would give up Struble straight up for Fleury. Fleury is more proven and stuffs, but Struble has a lot of potential. Had he been born a week later, he wouldnt have been eligible for the 2019 draft.

He scored 10 pts in 21 games in the ncaa as a 18 year old defenseman, and 10 pts in his last 13 games. He wouldve easily been a first round pick for this years draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: draft day

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
As others have mentioned, I'd rather wait and see what we have with Struble. From all accounts, the kid is a physical beast and has extremely raw talent. He had a couple of injuries to deal with last year, but from what we saw, he has tremendous upside. Great skating, physical with some offence. Also, one of the youngest players in his draft class. I expect a big year from him if he can stay healthy.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Over payment from the Habs. Struble has a lot to prove but he has decent potential to rise up in his age 19-23 age range of development. H Fleury is 24 in a few months and probably is who he is at this point.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Over payment from the Habs. Struble has a lot to prove but he has decent potential to rise up in his age 19-23 age range of development. H Fleury is 24 in a few months and probably is who he is at this point.

Agree to disagree on this point, D men tend to develop later, look at Petry as an example, and I really like H. Fleury but the Expansion draft will be an issue and the price is too steep for what he has shown until now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree to disagree on this point, D men tend to develop later, look at Petry as an example, and I really like H. Fleury but the Expansion draft will be an issue and the price is too steep for what he has shown until now.

They do tend to develop later but right now, he don't look like he will be an above average top 4D in his prime. More like a fringe top 4D at best. Canes can hold on to him hoping. No way I trade a younger guy like Struble... He could also bust or disappoint but he could turn into an darn good player too.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
They do tend to develop later but right now, he don't look like he will be an above average top 4D in his prime. More like a fringe top 4D at best. Canes can hold on to him hoping. No way I trade a younger guy like Struble... He could also bust or disappoint but he could turn into an darn good player too.

Definitely, that is why I mentioned the price is too steep but having the Fleurys on a 3rd line would not be bad, I would give them a try ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Definitely, that is why I mentioned the price is too steep but having the Fleurys on a 3rd line would not be bad, I would give them a try ;)

H Fleury would have a hard time beating out Kulak and Mete for that spot. Heck, I bet Bergevin makes a trade for a LD to play with Weber so all H Fleury does is clutter the LD depth. Struble won't be traded at this stage.

??? / Weber
Chiarot / Petry
Romanov / Juulsen or Fleury

LD Depth: Mete, Kulak, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Olofsson, Leskinen
RD Depth: Brook

Last edited:

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
People (Habs fan included) are really sleeping on Mete.

The guy is freaking 21yo, skates like the wind & offense was starting to come up. I easily see Mete’s floor be a #4 with 20-30 pts/season.

I really don’t get all the Mete trades and/or the ‘pushed out of the lineup’’ talks. Totally nonsense to me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People (Habs fan included) are really sleeping on Mete.

The guy is freaking 21yo, skates like the wind & offense was starting to come up. I easily see Mete’s floor be a #4 with 20-30 pts/season.

I really don’t get all the Mete trades and/or the ‘pushed out of the lineup’’ talks. Totally nonsense to me.

Mete does have game but can get pushed around in his own end. He needs to be flying out there all the time if he holds his spot. He has not been consistent with that yet but yes, I do see what you are saying. I'm open to trading him but I want equal talent coming the other way filling a hole.

Can Mete get better or is he who he is at this point? That's hard to predict and the LD side is going to be cluttered with young players here very soon. That's why you see his name out there from several Habs fans.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ehh... I'd rather keep Fleury. A contract extension for him shouldn't cost that much, and he was turning into a seriously solid NHL defender by the time the season was suspended.

With the defense we already have, he'll be an excellent young 3rd pair defenseman that gives us solid youth on every defensive line for the foreseeable future. Struble and the picks do nothing for me when we're talking about a team that is trying to position itself to start legitimately contending as early as next year.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
H Fleury would have a hard time beating out Kulak and Mete for that spot. Heck, I bet Bergevin makes a trade for a LD to play with Weber so all H Fleury does is clutter the LD depth. Struble won't be traded at this stage.

??? / Weber
Chiarot / Petry
Romanov / Juulsen or Fleury

LD Depth: Mete, Kulak, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Olofsson
RD Depth: Brook

Not sure about Mete vs H. Fleury but he has more potential than Kulak, who is really inconsistent, looking like top 4 material in some games and then AHL like. I agree with your analysis if Bergevin manages to get a good LHD. ;)

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Struble is the habs best prospect of a relatively deep prospect pool at left d.

As far as I'm concerned, his ceiling migh be higher than Romanov.

He's a beast physically, he's tough, his skating is very good, he's one of the youngest draftee of 2019 and was on a exceptionnal scoring pace before his injury.

Personnally, I would definitively not give him for a fringe 2014 1st rd draft whose development have been head scratching.

Habs don't need another 3rd pair lhd, in fact, they need more depht at rhd in their prospect pool.
Weber and Petry are not going to be eternal, the habs must not make the same mistakes they did with Markov and in another way, with Price (the void around him at the goaltending position have put MB in a position where he had no bargaining leverage when negociating his contract).

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
A bit off topic but what would the Habs be looking at for Cayden Primeau? Maybe something could be worked out around there in a larger deal, or I guess potentially a smaller deal.

Reactions: Tryamw

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A bit off topic but what would the Habs be looking at for Cayden Primeau? Maybe something could be worked out around there in a larger deal, or I guess potentially a smaller deal.

Primeau won't be moved cause you won't give us the value potential in return. The narrative will be "goalies are not worth much". So don't ask us cause you won't like the asking price and lets avoid a post war.

When Price is 36/37, Primeau is 24/25. Perfect timing. You got to pry him away if you want him.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Primeau won't be moved cause you won't give us the value potential in return. The narrative will be "goalies are not worth much". So don't ask us cause you won't like the asking price and lets avoid a post war

Well why don't you throw out a valuation and we'll see if it's palatable. I'm not here to offer a cap dump and a 5th. I'm just honestly curious about his value to the Habs. If it's high that's fine, then we'll know.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Struble is the habs best prospect of a relatively deep prospect pool at left d.

As far as I'm concerned, his ceiling migh be higher than Romanov.

He's a beast physically, he's tough, his skating is very good, he's one of the youngest draftee of 2019 and was on a exceptionnal scoring pace before his injury.

Personnally, I would definitively not give him for a fringe 2014 1st rd draft whose development have been head scratching.

Habs don't need another 3rd pair lhd, in fact, they need more depht at rhd in their prospect pool.
Weber and Petry are not going to be eternal, the habs must not make the same mistakes they did with Markov and in another way, with Price (the void around him at the goaltending position have put MB in a position where he had no bargaining leverage when negociating his contract).

Struble is an interesting prospect but he has not even played a full NCAA year yet. His value to the Habs is high in terms of who he can be which is why we won't trade him. Could be another Ryan Macdonagh mistake trading him (or not... who knows).

I think Struble is a candidate to bust out next year and the U20 WJC is where his name becomes more popular.

In terms of being better or higher potential than Romanov. It's too early to know... early with Romanov and very very very early with Struble

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well why don't you throw out a valuation and we'll see if it's palatable. I'm not here to offer a cap dump and a 5th. I'm just honestly curious about his value to the Habs. If it's high that's fine, then we'll know.

Pry away value... Grade A prospect that fits a team need is the only way to get a conversation started.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So you want the habs to give up two high second round picks and one high 3rd round pick for a player to play in the bottom pairing when we have Mete that can easily play that role?
:huh:

Im not sure I would give up Struble straight up for Fleury. Fleury is more proven and stuffs, but Struble has a lot of potential. Had he been born a week later, he wouldnt have been eligible for the 2019 draft.

He scored 10 pts in 21 games in the ncaa as a 18 year old defenseman, and 10 pts in his last 13 games. He wouldve easily been a first round pick for this years draft.
The post above nailed it.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
without going after top left defenseman there is one i would love to have in the habs line up.

MTL : Jayden Struble + pick #39 2020 + pick #70 2020
For
CAROLINA : Haydn Fleury

Chrariot-Weber
Mete/Romanov - Petry
Fleury - Fleury
:facepalm:Man will these one -sided bad offers ever end.:headache:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
two 2nds and a 3rd for FLeury? canes take it and run.

next year will be the 7th since his draft..and he is at best a 13-14min #6-7dman

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

next year will be the 7th since his draft..and he is at best a 13-14min #6-7dman

"At best" with Carolina Fleury was a 6'3", mobile #3/4 who played well at both ends of the ice and was very good in transition. Fleury averaged 18:43 in his final 8 games after the Brett Pesce injury. He was the 2nd best D on the team next to Slavin before the suspension and was key to helping the Canes win some big games to put them in their current Playoff position.

I don't think Fleury will ever blossom into a top-4 D on the Canes with all of Slavin, Hamilton, Skjei, and Pesce in front of him but I do believe he could be a good/great 2nd pairing D in the NHL. If the Canes don't deal him then I'd expect he would be an enticing piece for Seattle as Ron Francis drafted him.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
without going after top left defenseman there is one i would love to have in the habs line up.

MTL : Jayden Struble + pick #39 2020 + pick #70 2020
For
CAROLINA : Haydn Fleury

Chrariot-Weber
Mete/Romanov - Petry
Fleury - Fleury

Probably a mid to late 2nd round pick, in a vacuum.

So let's get this straight,

One has played 132 NHL games, is 23 (turning 24 in July) and needs to clear waivers next season and is worth 2 x 2nd (early and mid) + early 3rd.

The other has played 41 NHL games, is 21 and can be sent to the minors and is worth a mid-late 2nd

I wouldn't mind Hayden on the Habs, but certainly not at that cost

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Yikes, what a bad take here.

"At best" with Carolina Fleury was a 6'3", mobile #3/4 who played well at both ends of the ice and was very good in transition. Fleury averaged 18:43 in his final 8 games after the Brett Pesce injury. He was the 2nd best D on the team next to Slavin before the suspension and was key to helping the Canes win some big games to put them in their current Playoff position.

I don't think Fleury will ever blossom into a top-4 D on the Canes with all of Slavin, Hamilton, Skjei, and Pesce in front of him but I do believe he could be a good/great 2nd pairing D in the NHL. If the Canes don't deal him then I'd expect he would be an enticing piece for Seattle as Ron Francis drafted him.

Completely agree with you on all fronts here. My only wish is that Fleury was an RHD because he’s completely blocked on the left side. He does have some experience playing on the right though?

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad