Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Gorges traded to Sabres for MIN's 2nd round pick 2016

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The game is evolving towards having as many of your D man: (a) move the puck (b) join the rush and (c) participate in the score sheet.

I am not saying the strictly denfensive D man needs to dissapear tomorrow, but its use is certainly on the decline...unless you want to spend your three periods tied up in your own zone.

You could never be more wrong.

Teach a defensive defensemen how to consistently make accurate 6 foot passes and teams don't get hemmed in. LA Kings regards.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Teach a defensive defensemen how to consistently make accurate 6 foot passes and teams don't get hemmed in. LA Kings regards.

The LAK have 4 guys who could be considered good puck movers in Muzzin, Doughty, Voynov and Martinez. These guys aren't what I'd consider to be defensive dmen, they're good all around.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
HABS, AVS GOOD PARTNERS?
Sometimes you have teams that start to become regular trading partners, usually teams in different conferences. Take Anaheim and Toronto, for example. They’ve done a number of deals over the past several years.

Do Montreal and Colorado have the potential to become good partners? They made Monday’s trade in which Daniel Briere and P.A. Parenteau swapped teams. Then a source told ESPN.com that on Tuesday there was talk between both clubs about defenseman Josh Gorges. By then the Avs had already zeroed in on blueliner Brad Stuart from San Jose, so they passed, and Montreal sent Gorges to Buffalo.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31845/rumblings-west-gets-even-tougher

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
HABS, AVS GOOD PARTNERS?
Sometimes you have teams that start to become regular trading partners, usually teams in different conferences. Take Anaheim and Toronto, for example. They’ve done a number of deals over the past several years.

Do Montreal and Colorado have the potential to become good partners? They made Monday’s trade in which Daniel Briere and P.A. Parenteau swapped teams. Then a source told ESPN.com that on Tuesday there was talk between both clubs about defenseman Josh Gorges. By then the Avs had already zeroed in on blueliner Brad Stuart from San Jose, so they passed, and Montreal sent Gorges to Buffalo.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31845/rumblings-west-gets-even-tougher

What this sounds like is Bergevin did not get offers from many teams, he just went with the Leafs and tried to force it through.

Where is the outrage habs nation? I remember the river of tears when Cammy was traded and how Gauthier was the devil for apparently not getting multiple offers. :laugh:

HabsHockey*

What this sounds like is Bergevin did not get offers from many teams, he just went with the Leafs and tried to force it through.

Where is the outrage habs nation? I remember the river of tears when Cammy was traded and how Gauthier was the devil for apparently not getting multiple offers. :laugh:

At least it wasn't in the 2nd period and he got to keep his sweater hopefully. :sarcasm:

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

If it's so damn simple, why the hell are stiffs like Komisarek, Green, Gorges and the like unable to orchestrate a breakout ?

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

That is one heck of a big assumption.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Gorges was a great shot blocker, he still is. But the Habs also have the best goaltender in the league (at least Top 3), so there isn't as much of a need to jump in front of every shot. There were other areas (mobility and puck movement) that are more important. Get the puck out of the zone ASAP, that will minimize chances against.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
If it's so damn simple, why the hell are stiffs like Komisarek, Green, Gorges and the like unable to orchestrate a breakout ?

Include Subban, Markov, Emelin Weaver etc in that group.

We watched (some seem to have forgotten already) the Habs lose possession/get hemmed in after repeated attempts at stretch passes, chips out and the hard around the boards.

Systems. And practice at using the short passes to move the puck out. Something we have not seen from Therrien or the Habs.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Gorges was a great shot blocker, he still is. But the Habs also have the best goaltender in the league (at least Top 3), so there isn't as much of a need to jump in front of every shot. There were other areas (mobility and puck movement) that are more important. Get the puck out of the zone ASAP, that will minimize chances against.

exactly..it's great to have players that are willing to block shots...but you're probabley getting more opportunites to block shots because you've gotten hemmed in your own end...penalty killing time would be a factor as well obviously...but I just wouldn't read ito the whole shot blocking stat too much....as long as you know you have a guy who's willing to do it...you're fine, and markov, emelin and I would say tinordi will be a big shot blocker as well.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Not getting offers is very different from not soliciting them.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Don't see anyone coming out of the woodwork claiming they didn't know Gorges was available. We have proof he talked to at least 3 clubs about a trade.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Can someone explain the "drama" and media whining and captaincy thing that I see brought up numerous times in these 14 pages? Thanks in advance. I'm in the dark on it.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Too bad we don't have enough money to keep everyone (plus...management wants Tinordi and Beaulieu to play a lot this season, imo)

Markov-PK Subban
Gorges/Emelin-Gilbert
Gorges/Emelin-Weaver
Tinordi-Beaulieu

'Cause I did picture Price AND Gorges raising the CUP!!
(maybe Gorges will be back in Mtl in a couple of seasons? I liked him as a #4-5 dman, but he was paid like a #3-4...1 mil too much imo...so many NHLers are getting paid way too much!!).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Can someone explain the "drama" and media whining and captaincy thing that I see brought up numerous times in these 14 pages? Thanks in advance. I'm in the dark on it.

It's just ******** fans mostly.

Some people were annoyed at Gorges during the lockout because he spoke out in defense of the players.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's just ******** fans mostly.

Some people were annoyed at Gorges during the lockout because he spoke out in defense of the players.

Some of it is also due to the manner in which he was portrayed on 24CH -- people drawing unfair conclusions on the basis of a few seconds' worth of Gorges' dressing room talks during intermissions.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

The most encouraging part of the move was that the brass saw the series against the Rangers and didn't sit there thinking.. WE NEED TO IMPROVE OUR SHOT BLOCKING.. they realized, our transition game is getting stuffed. So they went to market got a RHD that can move the puck well.. brought Emelin back to his natural side and opened up the spot for Beaulieu to play full time.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Subban fans are upset that Gorges said this when asked about PK returning to the team after his holdout........

"Like I said, it's good that it's over and done with and it's settled. We don't have to have these talks in the morning of what-if-this and what-if-that. It's over. We can focus on playing hockey."

I think the PK fans wanted a little bit more fawning from Gorges.

Your team has a very solid and dependable DMan with Gorges. I wish him luck but not too much.;)

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
Good riddance. That guy is bad... Yes he blocks shots, but everything else in him screams WEAK. Weak weak weak.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Subban fans are upset that Gorges said this when asked about PK returning to the team after his holdout........

"Like I said, it's good that it's over and done with and it's settled. We don't have to have these talks in the morning of what-if-this and what-if-that. It's over. We can focus on playing hockey."

I think the PK fans wanted a little bit more fawning from Gorges.

Your team has a very solid and dependable DMan with Gorges. I wish him luck but not too much.;)

Gorges lost my respect when he pretty much told Hamrlik to shut the **** up for saying he wanted to play hockey and the lockout was silly.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'm sure he was devastated...

Doesn't matter. He proved he was not captain material and not the character material he was hyped to be. Wouldn't surprise me if Bergevin's been trying to unload him since then and just waited until Beaulieu/Tinordi were far enough along in their development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad