Proposal: MTL 5OA to WSH for Ryan Leonard

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Washington only does this because of the "++" on the pick, and Montreal would be silly to offer that "++" instead of just picking a similarly well received player with the 5OA.

On the other hand, MTL loves screwing the pooch with their 1st rounders, so maybe it would be wise to offer the "++" in order to avoid that. :biglaugh:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Washington only does this because of the "++" on the pick, and Montreal would be silly to offer that "++" instead of just picking a similarly well received player with the 5OA.

On the other hand, MTL loves screwing the pooch with their 1st rounders, so maybe it would be wise to offer the "++" in order to avoid that. :biglaugh:
Yea...like Slaf who is likely an 80-90 point winger.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I just dont see why we would trade Leonard a player we tried to get on our NHL playoff roster and want him to make the jump to the pros as soon as next season. Hes currently playing with NHLers in the world champs, why we would want to start over with a new prospect that we dont even know what player we would be getting in draft picks.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
doesn’t make much sense to me. Both teams need nhl roster help not prospect shuffling.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
doesn’t make much sense to me. Both teams need nhl roster help not prospect shuffling.
The ONLY reason it would make any sense is because we're trying to come out of our rebuild and this draft is defenseman heavy, which is what we have plenty of in prospects.

If Levshonov lands up as BPA then it makes sense for a trade to a team who needs a projected top 2 offensive RHD. We already have two offensive LHD on their way.

Leonard is not on my radar and i certainly don't see him as valuable as a top 2 RHD. Nor on the level of Demidov. Obviously Wash fans have far higher doses of hopium for him.

This is going to be a wild draft with suprises.

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
I kind of like idea in principle for both teams but I just don’t see Washington moving Leonard.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
The two Russian D’s could become a bit more ’effective’ as overall but i wouldnt take them over Leonard for Caps at this point. + both those guys are likely gone at 5th anyways.

With Ovie closing retirement Caps need exciting players, leadership, the next wave that people want to pay tickets to see for. Leonard checks a lot of boxes for where the Caps are heading.

So no for the lottery balls, Caps should keep their guy.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Levshunov is there at 5 Hughes and Gorton sprint to the podium to pick him.

He's the 2nd BPA in this draft.
I agree and if Hughes pulls a KK move where he picks on need and a forward, he should fired before he returns to the table.

What I'm putting forth that as a top 2 offensive RHD, he may have high value for other teams. But only if they have high value YOUNG forwards, particularly centers.

But....given that fans of every team thinks their guy is the second coming of Mario Lemeux or Bobby Orr, there is no discussion to be had.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Most times people overvalue picks in hfboards, and almost always people who are fans of a team overvalue their prospects as well. On this trade doing 5th overall for Leonard, i would say the 5th is more valuable, If i was Caps i would do this instantly and no takebacksies.

Reactions: HabsAddict

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Most times people overvalue picks in hfboards, and almost always people who are fans of a team overvalue their prospects as well. On this trade doing 5th overall for Leonard, i would say the 5th is more valuable, If i was Caps i would do this instantly and no takebacksies.
Explain the reasoning why you would do this if you’re Washington? Just because you think the 5OA pick is worth more than Leonard? They’d be trading a surer bet who just broke freshman scoring records for a magic bean. It pushes out the timeline for whoever they draft with 5OA for that player to join the Caps which does them no good while Ovi has two years left on his deal. There’s no consensus top tier of players likely to be available at 5OA so there’s little to no evidence that the Caps would be drafting a better bet/player than Leonard.

Don’t think it’s Caps fans doing the overvaluing of picks/prospects here.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Explain the reasoning why you would do this if you’re Washington? Just because you think the 5OA pick is worth more than Leonard? They’d be trading a surer bet who just broke freshman scoring records for a magic bean. It pushes out the timeline for whoever they draft with 5OA for that player to join the Caps which does them no good while Ovi has two years left on his deal. There’s no consensus top tier of players likely to be available at 5OA so there’s little to no evidence that the Caps would be drafting a better bet/player than Leonard.

It's a move that makes zero sense for either side. It's just the masturbatory fantasy of one fan who really likes Leonard and would give up an absurd package to get him

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net

Leonard has done well in juniors and in the NCAA, if i look at the mock drafts for who might be going #5 in the draft i just dont see how he is a "surer bet"? Maybe it's a stretch to say they should take it, i'll admit that. More like it's a swapping a lottery ticket to another lottery ticket really.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If I had a dollar for every "sure bet" draftee, I could buy Musk.

We have Hutson and Mailioux, if you ask me they are a "sure bet", but I wont put a dollar on that. Same thing with Leonard and ANY prospect.

Until they meet angry man with sticks on frozen water in the NHL, for more then a cup of coffee, we can believe whatever our hopium fantasies can come up with.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Nah... we going going to draft Iginla.

I personally believe it's gonna be Beckett Sennecke or Demidov if he slides. Gorton and Hughes like late risers and Sennecke is the new hotness.

I never got my dream of having my all time fav player on my all time fav team....

Getting his son is the next best thing. I almost dont care who else is available at #5, if Iggy is there I would take him.....

Not the most rational way to choose at the draft. Tij ain't Jarome. You're guaranteed to be disappointed if that's what you're planning on.

Let's say Leshunov is available at #5 ,, do you do this ?

Me? Nope. IMHO both Levshunov and Silayev are overrated. Don't like Lindstrom either.

We have Hutson and Mailioux, if you ask me they are a "sure bet", but I wont put a dollar on that.

Not even a buck?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I personally believe it's gonna be Beckett Sennecke or Demidov if he slides. Gorton and Hughes like late risers and Sennecke is the new hotness.

Late riser that is trending hot is Iggy. One of the youngest in the draft as well. Sennecke looks good too but Iggy has everything he has on the resume and more.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

Why are you acting like Leonard is a proven NHLer ? He was drafted last year...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leonard has done well in juniors and in the NCAA, if i look at the mock drafts for who might be going #5 in the draft i just dont see how he is a "surer bet"? Maybe it's a stretch to say they should take it, i'll admit that. More like it's a swapping a lottery ticket to another lottery ticket really.

Both teams don't do this.

1) Caps have Leonard and they are very happy with his D+1. Can't blame them, he had a great 1st season in the NCAA and performed well at the World Juniors.

2) Habs will have plenty of options with the 5th pick. Decent chance we can hit with someone who ends up better than Leonard. But there is a risk we take a bust/disappointment. Talent seems serious in this top 10 but you never know.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Show me where I said he’s a proven NHLer? I said he’s a surer bet at this point than someone they’d get at 5OA this year because he was 8OA last year in a better draft and had a very good D+1 year.

Are you serious, your analogy from Family guy with the boat...

Boat = proven NHLer
Prospect = magic beans

If I had a dollar for every "sure bet" draftee, I could buy Musk.

We have Hutson and Mailioux, if you ask me they are a "sure bet", but I wont put a dollar on that. Same thing with Leonard and ANY prospect.

Until they meet angry man with sticks on frozen water in the NHL, for more then a cup of coffee, we can believe whatever our hopium fantasies can come up with.

Exactly, I remember Dylan Holloway, who apparently, was the one making Cole Caufield better...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad