Msg saves money without hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIsles1*

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B7A4D9739-19DB-4729-87F1-97BCB8FDEBCF%7D&siteid=google

The lost NHL season depressed revenue in the company's Madison Square Garden segment, which includes the New York Rangers. Revenue in the unit fell 12% to $179.5 million. Cablevision added, however, that certain "expense savings" offset the loss of revenue that would've been generated by the Rangers.

MSG was also impacted in the quarter by higher revenue from New York Knicks NBA tickets and lower luxury tax expenses for the basketball team.

http://www.nynewsday.com/technology/ny-bzcabl4246913may06,0,359829.story?coll=ny-technology-print

Although revenue for Madison Square Garden, including the Knicks and Rangers, all of which the company owns, fell 12 percent to $180 million, the unit's operating loss shrank to $11.9 million from a loss of $34.8 million. Savings from the cancellation of the hockey season more than offset the revenue drop, the company said.

chiavsfan

Of course there were savings, they dont have to open the Garden on the night of Ranger games, they don't have to pay ticket takers, ushers, security, vendors. They save on electric bills, they don't have to pay the people who take up the floor from basketball, and construct the bowl for hockey games.

This is such a non-news story

NYIsles1*

RangerBoy said:
His Rangers obsession continues
I want financial information about hockey business practices and how the lockout effects teams because this gives us the best framework as to how a new cba can and should be structured/negotiated.

Clearly you have no problem posting articles in attempts to have teams relocated which are only based on your sense of entitlement without holding your favorite team under the same parameters you hold others.

I think the quarterly Cablevision statement that shows the Rangers generated less revenue but saved more money not playing indicates overhead on spending/salary is too high and enhances the point the team lost money when it was operating and I think this is worth posting.

Please feel free to blame the Predators, Canes and call for your obsessive relocation of the Pittsburgh Penguins as a response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
NYIsles1 said:
I want financial information about hockey business practices and how the lockout effects teams because this gives us the best framework as to how a new cba can and should be structured/negotiated.

Clearly you have no problem posting articles in attempts to have teams relocated which are only based on your sense of entitlement without holding your favorite team under the same parameters you hold others.

I think the quarterly Cablevision statement that shows the Rangers generated less revenue but saved more money not playing indicates overhead on spending/salary is too high and enhances the point the team lost money when it was operating and I think this is worth posting.

Please feel free to blame the Predators, Canes and call for your obsessive relocation of the Pittsburgh Penguins as a response.
1) they (NYR) made concious decisions caused them to lose money. who cares.
2) as i have said many times, this lockout is for teams like NYR. another reason it pisses me off. a team that has brought all the pain on itself (and much pain to the league) now needs to have the league shutdown to save itself.

the biggest winners in this lock out ? NYR and TOR.

those greedy players !

dr

mooseOAK*

DR said:
1) they (NYR) made concious decisions caused them to lose money. who cares.
2) as i have said many times, this lockout is for teams like NYR. another reason it pisses me off. a team that has brought all the pain on itself (and much pain to the league) now needs to have the league shutdown to save itself.

the biggest winners in this lock out ? NYR and TOR.

those greedy players !

dr
What? The Leafs would love to be playing this season.

SENSible1*

The Leafs are currently losing the most money without hockey and will be one of the biggest losers from this lockout once it is settled with spending advantage curtailed and their funds being siphoned off to other teams.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
The Leafs are currently losing the most money without hockey and will be one of the biggest losers from this lockout once it is settled with spending advantage curtailed and their funds being siphoned off to other teams.
once the league has a 40 odd million cap, they will recoup every penny they lost and no longer have to appease their fans by overpaying for older vets.

the Leafs will come out of this better than anyone.

dr

Last edited:

mooseOAK*

DR said:
once the league has a 40 odd million cap, they will recoup every penny they lost and no longer have to appease their fans by overpaying for older vets.

the Leafs will come out of this better than anyone.

Robb
Big deal, the point is if it was up to them there never would have been a lockout.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
mooseOAK said:
Big deal, the point is if it was up to them there never would have been a lockout.
What a tragedy that would have been! Thank You Mr. Bettman for saving us from another hockey season!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NYIsles1 said:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B7A4D9739-19DB-4729-87F1-97BCB8FDEBCF%7D&siteid=google

The lost NHL season depressed revenue in the company's Madison Square Garden segment, which includes the New York Rangers. Revenue in the unit fell 12% to $179.5 million. Cablevision added, however, that certain "expense savings" offset the loss of revenue that would've been generated by the Rangers.

MSG was also impacted in the quarter by higher revenue from New York Knicks NBA tickets and lower luxury tax expenses for the basketball team.

http://www.nynewsday.com/technology/ny-bzcabl4246913may06,0,359829.story?coll=ny-technology-print

Although revenue for Madison Square Garden, including the Knicks and Rangers, all of which the company owns, fell 12 percent to $180 million, the unit's operating loss shrank to $11.9 million from a loss of $34.8 million. Savings from the cancellation of the hockey season more than offset the revenue drop, the company said.

Is this you?

Q: I'm somewhat surprised you do not see how oversaturated the New York sports market is today, and how baseball now dominates the public
interest in New York, year-round. The coverage in Pittsburgh on hockey is far greater than it is in Manhattan. (Sidney) Crosby as an Islander, Devil or Ranger would not help the NHL at all, win or lose. Crosby would be a disaster for the NHL in baseball's largest market because the major media and sports columnists here have no interest or need to cover or market hockey players and the hockey demographic in New York is too small to market.

Baseball has a $200 million team and interleague games, basketball and football take the rest of the major media coverage. The radio shows

almost never talk hockey and do not know the players. ... It's this kind of thinking by NHL executives that put the NHL on the road to obscurity in the first place. The seventh, eighth and ninth teams in the New York market cannot help hockey.

William of Queens, N.Y.

MOLINARI: The writer provided several e-mails detailing the lack of media attention the NHL receives in the New York metropolitan area. Assuming his information and observations were accurate -- and there seems to be no reason to doubt that -- it has to be distressing for the league that so many people in the country's largest market have so little interest in the game.

The benefit to the league of having Crosby end up in Manhattan, though, is not the impact he would have on the Rangers, but the attention he could receive from major media outlets located there. Television networks and big-circulation magazines are based in New York, and if Crosby were working at Madison Square Garden -- and performing at anything close to the level most scouts anticipate -- he would be far more likely to be noticed by those media outlets than he would be if he were in Phoenix or Pittsburgh or Edmonton. And if that would help a good-looking, well-spoken young star like Crosby to become the face of the NHL in most of the U.S., it might get the league noticed in places where few people seem to care about it now. (Whether New York is one of them seems to be a matter of opinion.)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05126/500255.stm

HI William ;)

NYIsles1*

RangerBoy said:
Is this you?
And you claim I'm obsessed? :eek:

I only research hockey information on teams as related to the lockout.

For someone who thinks the NHL should leave Pittsburgh out of a sense of your own entitlement you sure have no problem visiting the Pens newspapers for your hockey update.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
NYIsles1 said:

So MSG lost $24.4M in revenue because the Rangers didn't play...what kind of number is that? Could that be Ranger revenue that is accounted under MSG rather than the Rangers? Doesn't make much sense. If they accounted all of NYR revenue it would have fell almost $100M wouldn't it?

And since MSG operating loss fell to $11.9M from $34.8M without the Rangers, does that mean NYR lost $22.5M last season?

Gotta clarify these numbers if you want them to mean anything

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:
So MSG lost $24.4M in revenue because the Rangers didn't play...what kind of number is that? Could that be Ranger revenue that is accounted under MSG rather than the Rangers? Doesn't make much sense. If they accounted all of NYR revenue it would have fell almost $100M wouldn't it?

And since MSG operating loss fell to $11.9M from $34.8M without the Rangers, does that mean NYR lost $22.5M last season?

Gotta clarify these numbers if you want them to mean anything

i take it to mean that MSG saved 24.4 mil in revenue. there was still a loss, but not as steep as if the nhl season never was cancelled. like someone said above, they didn't have to pay for the ticket takers, ushers, concessions employees, utilities etc.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
garry1221 said:
i take it to mean that MSG saved 24.4 mil in revenue. there was still a loss, but not as steep as if the nhl season never was cancelled. like someone said above, they didn't have to pay for the ticket takers, ushers, concessions employees, utilities etc.

But the difference in those numbers ($11.9M and $34.8M) is only $22.5M.

So you are saying that MSG is saying their bottom line improved $22.5 without the NHL playing, losses improved from 34.8M to 11.9M. So wouldn't that mean that the Rangers lost the difference when they were playing, $22.5M? Yet before the lockout NYR supposedly lost $40M?

NYIsles1*

nyr7andcounting said:
But the difference in those numbers ($11.9M and $34.8M) is only $22.5M.

So you are saying that MSG is saying their bottom line improved $22.5 without the NHL playing, losses improved from 34.8M to 11.9M. So wouldn't that mean that the Rangers lost the difference when they were playing, $22.5M? Yet before the lockout NYR supposedly lost $40M?
According to these articles MSG's operating loss was reduced by higher revenue from New York Knicks NBA tickets and lower luxury tax expenses for the basketball team which does not even consider no hockey payroll expenses. That could put those losses well above 40.9 million.

This likely does not even include peripheral items that could or could not be considered hockey expenses like still having to pay (or not paying) the Isles and Devils for television rights which come very close to 30m according the the team contracts with Msg.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NYIsles1 said:
And you claim I'm obsessed? :eek:

I only research hockey information on teams as related to the lockout.

For someone who thinks the NHL should leave Pittsburgh out of a sense of your own entitlement you sure have no problem visiting the Pens newspapers for your hockey update.

Oh great one,when did I advocate the Penguins leaving Pittsburgh?Get your facts straight

I don't need to visit Pittsburgh newspapers.The ESPN Insider sends me links to the articles :sarcasm: See what $50 per year gets you ;)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
garry1221 said:

not to mention money that could have been made renting out the gardens to other events instead of rangers cames.

ATLANTARANGER*

As u may know MSG broadcast the devil games

NYIsles1 said:

they paid them a flat fee and I am sure that even though the fee was small, they none the less lost a lot of money broadcasting their games. Their fan base is so small for such a successful team. The sponsors just won't pay. You have to draw the fans and they just don't, so the sponsorship ad rates are really lousy. By not broadcasting those games MSG has actually saved a lot of money!

NYIsles1*

ATLANTARANGER said:
they paid them a flat fee and I am sure that even though the fee was small, they none the less lost a lot of money broadcasting their games. By not broadcasting those games MSG has actually saved a lot of money!
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1099981871317990.xml
(link no longer works)

Devils shun Mets, re-up with MSG
11-9-2004:

Financial terms were not disclosed, but officials on both sides said
the deal will give the Devils substantially more than the roughly $8
million rights fee the team was to receive this season.

In the past fans have complained when Devils games were broadcast on
the Metro Channel, which is only available on Cablevision-owned
systems. But Lamoriello said MSG and FSNY, which is owned by
Cablevision, assured him that will no longer happen.

"What we were able to work out was the best decision for the
franchise going forward," Lamoriello said. "Timing is everything in
life."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-11082004-397205.html
"This agreement will ensure the accessibility of our games to all our fans and was a key component in our negotiation," Devils chief executive Lou Lamoriello said after the agreement was announced on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad