Speculation: MSG reclocation?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This would only work if they can build a new station and a shuttle to the 7th Ave station of the B, D, and E lines.

Yeah, there's no way this goes forward without addressing the public transit concern.

Also, the article WAAAAY overstates how much Dolan fears litigation.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
they can do this after they sell the brooklyn bridge.

we hear about this every 5 years. they want to push msg off the current plot of land because of the terrible tax deal they made in the 70s (this is why the rangers and knicks play 41 home games a year between 31st and 33rd, 7th and 8th, while appearing as the road teams at all specialty/gimmick/outdoor games)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
they can do this after they sell the brooklyn bridge.

we hear about this every 5 years. they want to push msg off the current plot of land because of the terrible tax deal they made in the 70s (this is why the rangers and knicks play 41 home games a year between 31st and 33rd, 7th and 8th, while appearing as the road teams at all specialty/gimmick/outdoor games)

I'd assume the exemption will travel with them in some form.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Dolan 'generally on board' if the mass transit is better, and I'm sure he'll also want his permanent property tax exemption to travel to the new site. Where exactly do they have room to construct this at grade crosstown lightrail line to connect to the subways? And who would fund the new arena? Dolan? Tax payers? Both?
Yea isn’t the tax break thing for the MSG teams the whole reason we were the visiting team at our outdoor games? I feel like that’s always the thing that gets brought up whenever this stuff pops up every couple years.

It all just kinda feels unnecessary anyway.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I said this in the STH thread but without knowing anything about the Buffalo Chronicle, a quick Google search of them leaves me very skeptical about the legitimacy of this source. Combined with the fact that this is all information out of left field with no other outlets reporting anything remotely similar, I'm not believing this one.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
As for the supposed content of the article, it makes no sense from the MSG perspective. They're being moved to an area of Manhattan not near (relative) any mass transit when they're currently located in probably the most perfect location for an arena in the country as it relates to transportation. Why would they be ok with this?

Reactions: CasusBelli

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
This proposal seems very expensive to the taxpayer. What is the payoff?

The payoff is to the politicians for all the union jobs and construction contracts this creates as the unions and contractors stuff the politicians coffers with contributions.

Tappan Zee. And how much does it cost to change the name of a bridge? Is it really worth it? Did they really have to change Tri-Borough to RFK? So dumb.

Don't you understand it's the law in NY to name everything after democratic politicians and civil rights activists?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Honestly it'd be quickest to walk imo. Crosstown buses are atrocious.

You could take the ACE or BD uptown. You don't need to walk north 20 blocks.

But I agree this plan sucks. MSG is perfect where it is. Penn Station's appearance is a worthy sacrifice,

There is nothing like seeing hockey at MSG in the heart of midtown.

Also, moving MSG would require changing it's name since it's no longer near Madison Square - screw that noise. MSG is iconic.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY

But I agree this plan sucks. MSG is perfect where it is. Penn Station's appearance is a worthy sacrifice,

Also, moving MSG would require changing it's name since it's no longer near Madison Square - screw that noise. MSG is iconic.

They wouldn't need to change the name. It would just be MSG V. You know MSG III was on 8th Ave between 49th and 50th Street. Not too far from this "planned" location. Only MSG I and MSG II were located near Madison Square (23rd and Broadway). What I'm afraid is that corporate sponsorship would come into play with naming the arena. It would probably be some stupid dot com name like Squarespace.com Arena or some bank name.

Reactions: Ruggs225

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007

It's not the trip uptown that's the real problem, it's the 3+ avenues you have to walk to get over to 11th. So you're telling people who take the train into the city to get off at Penn, take either the ACE to 50th or the 123 to Columbus Circle, and then hike 15-20 mins west to get to the waterfront.

And as JR said, the proximity to Madison Square isn't much of an issue given that the current location is already about half a mile from Madison Square Park. This would make it even further, sure, but the name is already a misnomer at this point.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Funny, I used to live exactly where they’re proposing
It's not the trip uptown that's the real problem, it's the 3+ avenues you have to walk to get over to 11th. So you're telling people who take the train into the city to get off at Penn, take either the ACE to 50th or the 123 to Columbus Circle, and then hike 15-20 mins west to get to the waterfront.

And as JR said, the proximity to Madison Square isn't much of an issue given that the current location is already about half a mile from Madison Square Park. This would make it even further, sure, but the name is already a misnomer at this point.
Oh no disagreements here. I used to live on 52nd and west end and it was a hike from Columbus circle. All down hill though. I didn’t mind - it was a cool spot for my first place. I can’t really picture a stadium near there.

Reactions: clmetsfan

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
This reminds me of when they turned Branchbrook Park rink in Newark into a Velodrome.

And if you actually use a velodrome, Foock off don’t respond

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm going to be blunt here and I'm ready for people to come at me. If you can provide proof that building a new arena is going to screw over the common people, tax payers, and hurt lives, please share links and data. That is very valid and different.

However, let's take the politics completely out of this for a second.....other than nostalgia and habit, why do people give a shit?

Yes I have enjoyed going to the building and there is a lot of history there, but it would be wonderful to have a building with good ice that isn't like five stories above bullshit and that doesn't have Penn Station which is not the most pleasant place to hang out.

You love the design? Ok they can build a similar ceiling. Pennsy Hall can stick around.

Public transportation? It's ten blocks from Grand Central. That's nothing compared to most other arenas.

Why are people so nostalgic for modern MSG? It's a fine building but they've torn down Yankee Stadium, Ebbets Field, and Polo Grounds in the region and everyone was ok. I'd add Shea to the list as well because I had a lot of memories and some really cool stuff went on there but people liked to crap on the municipal cookie cutter designs for some reason.

And MSG is not a good concert venue. The acoustics are terrible. It's more about saying you played there then the actual quality of the show. I've seen concerts all over the world in football stadiums and holes in the wall and not one concert at MSG was ever in my top ten. One in the Baltimore Arena which is a crappy minor league hockey/arena football arena is though.

As a sports venue it has been and is a wonderful place, and I'm grateful for all the times I've been there. But life will go on and a new arena will lead to some really cool stuff.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2