MSG Network Discussion

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Been a while since we had a thread on MSG Network in general to discuss the comings and goings on it. Most of the time we tend to discuss it on the broadcast itself and then we lose track of things.

I think it makes sense to have a thread on MSG so we can chat about the network at large.

Watching the pre-game show right now and, frankly, I'd love for them to hire Brian Boyle, for example. His podcast with Larry Brooks and Mollie Walker is a fantastic listen.

I'm sure this thread will evolve over time so feel free to remove my post as the main post when/if the time comes. I figure we can use this thread to talk about:

Programming, Hosts, Rangers stuff, non-Rangers stuff, discussion of things we'd like to see changes-wise, etc.

Let's be honest. We're pretty lucky to have such a robust local network like MSG. May as well discuss it!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They need to add a shot counter to the score bug. And 4k.

I would love to see them invest in 4K for home games. Road games I don't know if it's possible. Too much $$$.

One of my clients does sports broadcasting and you'd be shocked how expensive it is even for a massive company to do steady 4K broadcasting.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I would love to see them invest in 4K for home games. Road games I don't know if it's possible. Too much $$$.

One of my clients does sports broadcasting and you'd be shocked how expensive it is even for a massive company to do steady 4K broadcasting.
Yeah I imagine it’s expensive but they have it in Canada, I want to say the Bruins have it, and MSG is the “most famous arena in the world.” Make it look like that on TV.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
i wish that we could have msg televise the rest of rangers playoffs games. espn is brutal.

That, unfortunately, is the league's call. I think MSG would gladly do it since the ratings for whatever is on during the game is probably . . . 0.0000001 or so.

I do like that the Rangers are using our broadcasters on the radio, though. Great way to supplement.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
MSG used to be great. Game coverage not withstanding. They're still plenty fine in game production. But I long for the days of MSG Sportsdesk and other original programming. There is no Rangers shoulder programming like a coach's show. Haven't had that since David Quinn.

And there are constant repeats of The Juice Bar. I guess that has taken the place of all the poker that used to be shown.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'm forever biased because I get to watch SNY daily as a Mets fan but MSG is pretty brutal. I think the actual game presentation leaves a lot to be desired. The actual crew itself (Sam, Giannone, Joe, Henrik, Vally, etc) I love but everything about the production feels very cookie cutter and bland. Add in the constant betting shows and promos and the lack of really any other programming beyond the games and the network sucks.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'm forever biased because I get to watch SNY daily as a Mets fan but MSG is pretty brutal. I think the actual game presentation leaves a lot to be desired. The actual crew itself (Sam, Giannone, Joe, Henrik, Vally, etc) I love but everything about the production feels very cookie cutter and bland. Add in the constant betting shows and promos and the lack of really any other programming beyond the games and the network sucks.
Being in the middle of the NYC theres so many extra programming they could come up with aside from the live telecasts. Why not show some more concerts and events at the Garden?

Come up with some new show ideas. They did away with camp coverage and other things they used to do for the team, which sucks.

I like the MSG shorts they do, i think that was a good idea as you can get hooked into watching the channel for a few more minutes.

Other than that, I agree. The Gambling-centric approach is a real turnoff. Literally bombarded with it 24/7 whether its that stupid show or commercials.

In the offseason i never turn on MSG, theres no reason to.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I like Boyle but think he's a dime a dozen guy. I can do with or without him. Vally is the stud.

Vally has had a ton of time doing this. Boyle is quite new.

Give him time. For a new guy doing this, he's already quite polished.

Being in the middle of the NYC theres so many extra programming they could come up with aside from the live telecasts. Why not show some more concerts and events at the Garden?

Come up with some new show ideas. They did away with camp coverage and other things they used to do for the team, which sucks.

I like the MSG shorts they do, i think that was a good idea as you can get hooked into watching the channel for a few more minutes.

Other than that, I agree. The Gambling-centric approach is a real turnoff. Literally bombarded with it 24/7 whether its that stupid show or commercials.

In the offseason i never turn on MSG, theres no reason to.

We also don't need ONLY sports shows. I'd love to see them do a show about food around the Garden, for example. There's so much that they could do just in that area alone in terms of non-sports stuff.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Money is a big reason they won't.

They have more than enough money to do home games in 4K.

The main reason they aren't as inclined is that Optimum doesn't own the team and there's minimum benefits for the team itself. If Dolan still was in the Cable business, we'd have a 4K broadcast since it would sell the package (it'd likely be Cablevision only if CV still existed in this alternate timeline).

That's the main problem. It's a stupid f***ing reasoning, but he can be a real cheap f*** at times.

My sports broadcasting clients are all dealing with this right now.

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019

The main reason they aren't as inclined is that Optimum doesn't own the team and there's minimum benefits for the team itself. If Dolan still was in the Cable business, we'd have a 4K broadcast since it would sell the package (it'd likely be Cablevision only if CV still existed in this alternate timeline).

That's the main problem. It's a stupid f***ing reasoning, but he can be a real cheap f*** at times.

Exactly this. Before the Dolans, MSG was ALWAYS on the cutting tech edge. In the 80s, I remember the stark contrast between MSGN and SportsChannel. It was the difference between a professional entertainment company and cheap ass outfit that blurped out the bare minimum. Dolans gonna Dolan…

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Exactly this. Before the Dolans, MSG was ALWAYS on the cutting tech edge. In the 80s, I remember the stark contrast between MSGN and SportsChannel. It was the difference between a professional entertainment company and cheap ass outfit that blurped out the bare minimum. Dolans gonna Dolan…
Yep. He did a lot for Cablevision subscribers who were Rangers fans back in the day - but it was all sales, basically. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but yeah.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

MSG Networks is having serious budget issues which is why 75% of their content is sponsored bullshit like those betting shows.

It's also the reason MSG Beginnings has devolved into a 3-minute clip of the player sitting in the locker room talking about where he grew up, instead of the proper episodes we had in the past.

MSG Networks isn't investing in 4K any time soon.

As a fanbase we really need to lower our expectations when it comes to this stuff.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
We also don't need ONLY sports shows. I'd love to see them do a show about food around the Garden, for example. There's so much that they could do just in that area alone in terms of non-sports stuff.

Anyone remember "At The Garden"? Late 90s show hosted by Mike Crispino featuring upcoming events and highlights of recent events?

Breaded Fox

Having no plan isn't a plan.
Nov 8, 2010
NJ
I used to enjoy the Rangers in 60 spots. I'm sure with YT and streaming it was no longer needed but it was always nice to rewatch wins in that format

Reactions: Cygnus 2112

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MSG Networks is having serious budget issues which is why 75% of their content is sponsored bullshit like those betting shows.

It's also the reason MSG Beginnings has devolved into a 3-minute clip of the player sitting in the locker room talking about where he grew up, instead of the proper episodes we had in the past.

MSG Networks isn't investing in 4K any time soon.

As a fanbase we really need to lower our expectations when it comes to this stuff.
The cost of 4K broadcasting has dropped precipitously (again, my clients literally are sports broadcasters and this has come up quite a bit in discussion - the costs of doing single-stadium 4K broadcasts). What was $250,000 per camera about 5 years ago is roughly $165,000 or so per camera today. MSG isn't using 30+ cameras in their stadium for broadcasting.

They can easily do this and can afford it.

Asking them to do road games is a different story, but the team can afford to do home games without question.

Their financials are public. The most recent 10Q does not show "serious budget issues." Their financials are strong enough to support the large share buyback that's been going on, now, for a year.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The cost of 4K broadcasting has dropped precipitously (again, my clients literally are sports broadcasters and this has come up quite a bit in discussion - the costs of doing single-stadium 4K broadcasts). What was $250,000 per camera about 5 years ago is roughly $165,000 or so per camera today. MSG isn't using 30+ cameras in their stadium for broadcasting.

They can easily do this and can afford it.

Asking them to do road games is a different story, but the team can afford to do home games without question.

Their financials are public. The most recent 10Q does not show "serious budget issues." Their financials are strong enough to support the large share buyback that's been going on, now, for a year.

Then they simply don't care and refuse to invest in these things.

Oh well...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Then they simply don't care and refuse to invest in these things.

Oh well...

That's the problem, though, unfortunately. It's not a massive investment at a home arena that isn't a baseball or NFL stadium (those two sports do use a lot more cameras and you have to consider the compromise of using HD vs 4K cameras for stuff like crowd shots, bench shots, bullpen shots, etc.).

Basketball and Hockey take between 5-10 cameras for the broadcast per arena (jumbotron shots wouldn't be included in that). The other sports are triple to quadruple that, believe it or not.

Unless the local network is owned by a conglomerate (think the RSN holdings of various companies - those tend to be PE-backed or a bit more complex), I don't think there are a lot of excuses to not go to 4K within the next 3-5 years.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Screenshot 2024-05-09 062411.png

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Vally has had a ton of time doing this. Boyle is quite new.

Give him time. For a new guy doing this, he's already quite polished.

We also don't need ONLY sports shows. I'd love to see them do a show about food around the Garden, for example. There's so much that they could do just in that area alone in terms of non-sports stuff. Sounds like something that would be more appropriate for the food network.
Why would they spend money to make a show that may make people spend less at MSG? Why would they give those restaurants free advertising?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad