Mr.Ratelle In Boston:

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
I was always a big fan of "MONSIEUR" Jean Ratelle and was surprised when the big trade occured; but never quite understood why Coach "Blue Collar/Lunch Pail" Cherry would prefer a finesse Center over Esposito, the big Power Forward??

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Probably because Ratelle would go back to the bench with the rest of his linemates at the end of their shift instead of staying on the ice for an extra three minutes.

I wouldn't confuse finesse with being soft. Ratelle gave everything he had to give on the ice. He's one of the few players who I've never heard anyone say a negative word about. Even Cherry (who supposedly doesn't like French people) gushes with praise for Ratelle throughout his book.

One of my favourite hockey quotes ever:

"Jean commands so much respect because of his ability and his style, it's impossible to get yourself mad enough at him to try any dirty stuff"
-Derek Sanderson​
http://bruinslegends.blogspot.com/2006/05/jean-ratelle.html

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Jean Ratelle centering Jonathan/Wensink/Secord on one side and O'Reilly/Schmautz on the other may be the biggest contrast in hockey history. He was a terrific hockey player with the B's with some take no BS wingers.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I was always a big fan of "MONSIEUR" Jean Ratelle and was surprised when the big trade occured; but never quite understood why Coach "Blue Collar/Lunch Pail" Cherry would prefer a finesse Center over Esposito, the big Power Forward??

The key to this trade was probably Park as Orr's knees proved.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
If Ratelle played with orr from 1968-1975, he would have several 100 point seasons. He was better than esposito from 1976-1981.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Pure class on the ice and a pleasure to watch play the game.

Funny Ratelle/Cherry story. When Ratelle won the Lady Byng, he appologized to Cherry. Cherry just laughed it off and said you need all kinds to win. Ratelle may have had few penalties, but he was anything but a softie.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Mr. Softee??

I don't know anyone from these Eras, Lady Byng winner/contender or not, that was considered a "softee"....Clean, classy players inspired respect....

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Pure class on the ice and a pleasure to watch play the game.

Funny Ratelle/Cherry story. When Ratelle won the Lady Byng, he appologized to Cherry. Cherry just laughed it off and said you need all kinds to win. Ratelle may have had few penalties, but he was anything but a softie.
Many nmake fun of the Byng trophy... but still a ton of the most competitive guys have won it. Datsyuk is a great competitive player that does not shy from contact he just does not take penalties.

Gretzky did not play physically in any way... he was one of the most competitive winning players ever.

The Byng is not near the most presitigious trophy but it means you are a very top player that did not take many penalties.

I would be proud if anyone on the Senators won it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I don't think Cherry had any say in it. Sinden was the GM and he knew Orr had to have some insurance behind him. Nice trade for B's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad