Speculation: Moving up in the 2024 draft

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I'd throw a lot at Chicago for Demidov. was reading their board and one of thier poster said it would cost #5, Jets 1st, & Owen beck or Joshua Roy ..

I'd do that deal 100% with Beck

I'd possibly add the Calgary/Florida pick next year ( florida late pick is almost definitely the pick were getting anyway).. GO all out on Demidov! we have so many assets, it's time to weaponize them and get us our 100 pt star forward!
Harris can also be added.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The thing about trading Guhle, or trading anyone good to try to get additional top 10 picks in this draft (for teams who are rebuilding like us so it doesn't even make sense for them unless its Ottawa)

is that the Habs are trying to ADVANCE their build, not send it back to the stone age.
Exactly this.

I could see KH leveraging a package of picks & prospects, but I doubt he has any interest in moving established young talent to reset the clock.

Would be inconsistent with his approach thus far and his post season commentary.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is the Devils’ 10 OA pick available for trade or is it the usual pre-draft banter?

"Having the tenth overall pick in this upcoming draft gives us many options this off-season," General Manager Tom Fitzgerald said after the results were revealed. "We have the opportunity to select a really good young player that our scouting staff likes. Or it can be another bullet in my holster to utilize if a deal presents itself."

What deal is Fitzgerald after? Do we have what he’s looking for?

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Is the Devils’ 10 OA pick available for trade or is it the usual pre-draft banter?

"Having the tenth overall pick in this upcoming draft gives us many options this off-season," General Manager Tom Fitzgerald said after the results were revealed. "We have the opportunity to select a really good young player that our scouting staff likes. Or it can be another bullet in my holster to utilize if a deal presents itself."

What deal is Fitzgerald after? Do we have what he’s looking for?

Fitzgerald is probably trying to get a top-tier goaltender (Saros, Markstrom?).

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fitzgerald is probably trying to get a top-tier goaltender (Saros, Markstrom?).
I see that they have multiple needs:

Frankly, the Devils have a lot to address this summer if they plan on returning to their 2022-23 status. They’ll need a top-six forward after losing Tyler Toffoli, they certainly need a defenseman to help shore up the blue line, and the goaltending situation is well-documented.

Maybe we can help them on D. However, they’re not looking for projects as they’re vying to become competitive quickly.

Reactions: Leto

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
I see that they have multiple needs:

Frankly, the Devils have a lot to address this summer if they plan on returning to their 2022-23 status. They’ll need a top-six forward after losing Tyler Toffoli, they certainly need a defenseman to help shore up the blue line, and the goaltending situation is well-documented.

Maybe we can help them on D. However, they’re not looking for projects as they’re vying to become competitive quickly.

You are right, they have a lot of blue chip defensemen (L.Hughes, Nemec) and they would be interested in cheap battle-hardened veterans. Hamilton was injured for 75% of the season and they let go Severson and Graves.

Overall, I quite like Jersey's position, they have gamebreakers and a lot of assets to address their needs.​

Reactions: Runner77

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
Having talks of Guhle for Zegras to make room for Lane Hutson like we’re building the Montreal Globetrotters.

I said it and I’ll say it again, wanting to trade Guhle is a big red flag…

And if they trade him it need to be for/in a package for an absolute stud who can take us to another level… not for Cole making highlight reels with his buddy.

IMO

“EA sports it is the …”

Reactions: SwiftyHab

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'd do Struble/Roy 5OA to get Demidov. Chicago gets a point getter in roy but who won't move the needle so they still got a shot at Hagen then Mckenna, plus they draft a foundational defenceman on a D heavy draft. Not much of a price to pay for a potential shot at a gamebreaker. Maybe once n a lifetime possiblity, gotta try.

Roy is nearly untradeable. Ryan Kesler types are very very very rare players.

Trade Mesar, trade Beck, trade Mailloux, trade Caufield, but don't trade Roy.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Roy is nearly untradeable. Ryan Kesler types are very very very rare players.

Trade Mesar, trade Beck, trade Mailloux, trade Caufield, but don't trade Roy.
I'm a big fan of Roy's game as well... But you lost me at "trade Caufield". That's a massive stretch
Roy has a long long way to go to show that he will hit CCs current level of impact, let alone surpass CCs prime.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
At this point, i'm saying just draft with your picks, draft is such a crapshoot that you should keep to your list when it's your time to draft.

Fandangle

Apr 29, 2018
Mesar is hard to project; no trade.
Mailloux has good trade value!
Beck's ceiling is unknown; no trade
Caufield?

I like roy and I bet Chicago saw WJC...so maybe he's the piece that gets it done. I also love Struble. Both are projectable/valued assets. moving up costs, if they love Demidov they should do what it takes. I doubt Mesar, Mailloux, Mesar get's it done.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'm a big fan of Roy's game as well... But you lost me at "trade Caufield". That's a massive stretch
Roy has a long long way to go to show that he will hit CCs current level of impact, let alone surpass CCs prime.

I wasn't saying CC is an inferior player to Roy, but he's less unique than Roy. It's been my long-standing contention that CC won't be our top LW in his prime, or we won't win anything. I think we have to pump and dump him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I wasn't saying CC is an inferior player to Roy, but he's less unique than Roy. It's been my long-standing contention that CC won't be our top LW in his prime, or we won't win anything. I think we have to pump and dump him.
Interesting take.

81 goals in his first 200 (205) NHL games... All of which on a team with bottom 5 NHL scoring.

If that's not unique ability in a crucial aspect of the game :dunno:

Obviously I don't agree with your assessment at all.

In his prime there's every reason to believe Caufield will be a 40+goal scorer. If he's not one of our top wingers while having that kind of impact, that's a great thing, not something to "pump and dump"... Assuming winning a cup is the objective.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Interesting take.

81 goals in his first 200 (205) NHL games... All of which on a team with bottom 5 NHL scoring.

If that's not unique ability in a crucial aspect of the game :dunno:

Obviously I don't agree with your assessment at all.

In his prime there's every reason to believe Caufield will be a 40+goal scorer. If he's not one of our top wingers while having that kind of impact, that's a great thing, not something to "pump and dump"... Assuming winning a cup is the objective.

What is the cause and what is the effect? Why are we a bottom-five team with a guy like that? Abysmal defence; that's why, Suzuki and Slaf would have a lot more points without having to babysit Caufield, who also loses most competitions outside the Montreal Canadiens.

ie. Caufield is our Marner imho.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Trade Matheson for NJ’s 10th overall. He fits their needs.

Then try to trade the 10th OV + Jets pick (24-27th) for the 6th-7th or 8th OV.

Draft Lindstrom 5.
Draft Iginla 6-7-8.

We have all the forwards we need. Rebuild is done.

• Love
Reactions: Rozz and SOLR

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What is the cause and what is the effect? Why are we a bottom-five team with a guy like that? Abysmal defence; that's why,
You can't be serious?

Are you suggesting that Caufield, in his D1-D4 seasons, from the age 19-23, is the "cause" of the Habs league bottom scoring?

This despite being the 5th highest scorer from his draft class?

His ability to produce is despite the Habs being bottom 5 in scoring.

On top of that, if we look beyond scoring to team performance, in his rookie taste of the NHL, he was 3rd in playoff scoring on a team that reached the NHL finals... Establishing that he can be an impactful contributor to a cup finals team at 19 is about as unique a demonstration a player can provide.

Your reasoning is pretty weak here.

Suzuki and Slaf would have a lot more points without having to babysit Caufield, who also loses most competitions outside the Montreal Canadiens.
This is utter nonsense. "Babysitting"?

On the one extreme, we have @Lafleurs Guy who tried to argue that Caufield was carrying Suzuki, and now on the other extreme, we get this silliness.

It's a team game.
Caufield has demonstrated, at every level including the NHL, that he can be an effective scorer on a winning team.

The Habs team weakness the past few years is not a reflection of his limitations... No more than the Pens being a league basement team in Crosby's rookie season, or the oilers in McD's, Avs in Mack's, etc etc.

Is Bedard the cause of the Hawks ineptitude? We're Foligno and Hall worse off for "babysitting" him?

ie. Caufield is our Marner imho.
At 7M$ a year there is not a GM in the league that would "pump and dump" Marner...

I don't think we need to go any further. I completely disagree with your take and don't see any merit to your reasoning.

Enjoy hoping for something that has zero chance of happening since KH isn't completely disconnected from reality.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Kent will try, but if Demidov goes 2.. then you basically just sit there and pick..

Right now, very early since things come into better focus after the combine.

It looks like:

Celebrini at 1 is locked,
Chicago is determining between Levshunov and Demidov, with some saying Dickinson is a favorite of the GM.
Anaheim will want Levshunov, if he's gone, there's rumors they like Dickinson and Helenius. Here might be a trade up scenario if Levshunov is gone.
Columbus is high on Silayev, with Lindstrom being the fall back.

Right now it seems like people think its going
Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Silayev
Lindstrom
Is there any update on Demidov’s knee?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You can't be serious?

Are you suggesting that Caufield, in his D1-D4 seasons, from the age 19-23, is the "cause" of the Habs league bottom scoring?

This despite being the 5th highest scorer from his draft class?

His ability to produce is despite the Habs being bottom 5 in scoring.

On top of that, if we look beyond scoring to team performance, in his rookie taste of the NHL, he was 3rd in playoff scoring on a team that reached the NHL finals... Establishing that he can be an impactful contributor to a cup finals team at 19 is about as unique a demonstration a player can provide.

Your reasoning is pretty weak here.

This is utter nonsense. "Babysitting"?

On the one extreme, we have @Lafleurs Guy who tried to argue that Caufield was carrying Suzuki, and now on the other extreme, we get this silliness.

It's a team game.
Caufield has demonstrated, at every level including the NHL, that he can be an effective scorer on a winning team.

The Habs team weakness the past few years is not a reflection of his limitations... No more than the Pens being a league basement team in Crosby's rookie season, or the oilers in McD's, Avs in Mack's, etc etc.

Is Bedard the cause of the Hawks ineptitude? We're Foligno and Hall worse off for "babysitting" him?

At 7M$ a year there is not a GM in the league that would "pump and dump" Marner...

I don't think we need to go any further. I completely disagree with your take and don't see any merit to your reasoning.

Enjoy hoping for something that has zero chance of happening since KH isn't completely disconnected from reality.
I didn’t argue that CC carries Suzuki. I said there was no discernible point difference for Suzuki with or without Caufield. But that only was applicable for the one season that was being discussed. That particular year, Nick was a 66-ish point player with or without CC.

As for what SOLR is saying, you really have to ignore the outlier in terms of shooting percentage to think he's a weak link. Based on the previous year's shooting percentage CC should‘be had 51 goals last season. All the underlying numbers were there for a career year. Hopefully it was just the surgery. We’ll see.

That being said, I have zero issues if they put CC with Dach. I think he’s going to have a good year either way.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
As for what SOLR is saying, you really have to ignore the outlier in terms of shooting percentage to think he's a weak link. Based on the previous year's shooting percentage CC should‘be had 51 goals last season. All the underlying numbers were there for a career year. Hopefully it was just the surgery. We’ll see.
Im not sure he's a "weak" link even with the way this season played out. He found ways to contribute despite his most reliable asset letting him down... That's a net positive sign as far as the probability that he will continue to steadily improve. His ceiling remains very high, and last year only made it more likely that he hits it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad