Speculation: Moving up in the 2024 draft

Fandangle

Apr 29, 2018
I'd do Struble/Roy 5OA to get Demidov. Chicago gets a point getter in roy but who won't move the needle so they still got a shot at Hagen then Mckenna, plus they draft a foundational defenceman on a D heavy draft. Not much of a price to pay for a potential shot at a gamebreaker. Maybe once n a lifetime possiblity, gotta try.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't know if Zegras is the one I would trade Guhle for? I also don't know if Guhle lands us anything better than Zegras.

However, Guhle + Win 1st in 2024 + CAL 1st in2025 might net us something better than Zegras? Just don't know who Hughes' trade partner would be.

I'd consider trying to nab Keller for Guhle + Roy + Win 1st in 2024 + CAL 1st in 2025.

If we can land Lindstrom at this year's draft, that would eventually lead to:

Lindstrom - Dach - Keller
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Newhook - Beck - UFA/Prospect
4th line

Hutson - Reinbacher
Matheson - Engstrom
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I don't know if Zegras is the one I would trade Guhle for? I also don't know if Guhle lands us anything better than Zegras.

However, Guhle + Win 1st in 2024 + CAL 1st in2025 might net us something better than Zegras? Just don't know who Hughes' trade partner would be.

I'd consider trying to nab Keller for Guhle + Roy + Win 1st in 2024 + CAL 1st in 2025.

4th line

Hutson - Reinbacher
Matheson - Engstrom
Xhekaj - Mailloux
I would not give this full package for Keller and not sure why people would want to trade Ghule. If we want to make a franchise changing move I would move Matheson and Anderson for Marner. Toronto despratly need a puck moving Dmen. That would change the franchise significantly (both franchise in a positive way) and would still allow us to draft a highly ranked forward (or D) in this draft.

At which point you pick the best of what is available at 5OA between Buium, Lindstrom, Parekh, Dickinson, Iginla or Senneck (I trust our scouts to evaluate who would be the best pick ) and my assumption would be Lindstrom.

2 years from now we would have the following lineup.
Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkowski
Lindstrom, Dach. Marner
Roy, Beck, Newhook,

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

4th line

Hutson - Reinbacher
Matheson - Engstrom
Xhekaj - Mailloux
I'm not a fan of trading Guhle, but I am a super believer in Buium, so I would be willing to part with him if it meant we drafted Buium at 5.

I doubt Guhle's value around the league is close to what we have here, but if we could trade him for another top-10 pick + to use on a forward that would be solid

Guhle + 25th for Mercer + 10th

Draft Buium at 5 and draft Iginla or Sennecke at 10 or move up a couple spots if you have to

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Iginla-Dach-Mercer
Newhook-Beck-Roy

Buium-Reinbacher
Hutson-UFA
Xhekaj-Mailloux

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Our D without Guhle looks gross and even more gross in the future. Lane, Reinbacher and Maillioux should not be in the NHL next season. That D group gets up top 10 picks in the next two years guaranteed. Not a good thing
This is why I can handle 1 more tank season.. top 10 finish would be nice plus the extra first possibly around the 11 mark.

Big no from Chicago. While the drop in talent from 2 to 5 may very well be more than offset by the Winnipeg first and a young d, optically it is bad for the Hawks. They'll take whoever they consider to be BPA at #2 and it will be interesting to see who that is - forward or defence.
We may get demidov at 5 if iginla is targeted correctly. In my books he goes anywhere from 2-5… knowing the draft speculation I’d say top 10.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

4th line

Hutson - Reinbacher
Matheson - Engstrom
Xhekaj - Mailloux
I’d do Guhle For zegras if we draft Best D available to replace him.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
This is why I can handle 1 more tank season.. top 10 finish would be nice plus the extra first possibly around the 11 mark.

We may get demidov at 5 if iginla is targeted correctly. In my books he goes anywhere from 2-5… knowing the draft speculation I’d say top 10.
At #5, we're within the bubble before the drop off and should get a player of considerable value. I'll be interested to see how far Eiserman falls. If Montreal could somehow use that Winnipeg pick to move up and take him, that would be something I'd be in favour of trying to do. He's still the best natural goal scorer in the draft. We can certainly use more shooters that score.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reinbacher was simply the product of none of the 4 teams picking ahead of the Habs in 2023, being unwilling to part with their pick.

It’s been well documented that Hughes tried every which way to nab one of the 4 centers that were taken in order — Reinbacher was simply their BPA at the 5th drafting slot, who also helped shore up a position of need.

The Habs are looking for offence and Hughes has not shied away from saying that they’d prefer a forward. Since Demidov and Lindstrom are ranked top 5 by most accounts, it’s just an educated guess.

Of course you, I or anyone for that matter is not sure about how the Habs value those players — it’s not info that is typically leaked to a fan forum. Guess away, we all are, anyway.

Who's the best at the guessing game I guess. haha.

Flip the script (a possible future guess). I can see this playing out in the years to come. Both Michkov and Demidov slip and are on the board when we pick but we don't take them. They both turn into stars or top line players.

Not saying I want to think this will happen but it could. Hughes has done a wonderful job with no real mistakes yet. Could this be it?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we need to stop putting so much value in pre-draft pedigree....because once you're drafted, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Plenty of players who had amazing pedigrees pre-draft, were never able to sustain or repeat that. That was the pinnacle for them, while many player who didn' have the pedigree pre-draft, have gone one to have great careers.

I mean, I don't ever even recall people talking about Quinton Byfield's pedigree before being drafted, so even the link between him and Lindstrom is odd to say the least.

The appeal with Cayden Lindstrom is less about what he's done so far, and way more about how much room he has to progress. A lot like Slafkovsky, the canvas is so vast.

I'm sure the appeal with him is his projectability and so far with this management, that seems to be a point of emphasis, you can see it with both of their 1st round picks so far.

Pedigree is one of the layers to it. You hear it said often but it's among other layers of context into why I would take Iggy personally.

Lindstrom pick scares me. Very aware of his high end potential value but his low end value is a big gap IMO.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't know why, but there is just something that's telling me that the Habs should not pick Lindstrom especially with his injury pledged season.

I'm good with Iginla, Catton.... And if the Jets pick isn't moved I really liked what I saw from Ryder Ritchie at the U18

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pedigree is one of the layers to it. You hear it said often but it's among other layers of context into why I would take Iggy personally.
Fair...with the little I've tracked so far with this upcoming draft, i'm good with several players but Lindstrom/Iginla are at the top for me.
Lindstrom pick scares me. Very aware of his high end potential value but his low end value is a big gap IMO.
What do you think his low end value is? and in comparison to Iginla?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair...with the little I've tracked so far with this upcoming draft, i'm good with several players but Lindstrom/Iginla are at the top for me.

What do you think his low end value is? and in comparison to Iginla?

I've watched a fair amount of video with Iggy but not so much with Lindstrom. I also seen Iginla at the u18's and liked what I saw.

Lindstrom has the ability to be better than Iginla if he is that monster center who plays physical. But from what have heard, he's no Byfield. I hate being negative on Lindstrom because it could back fire like B Tkachuk. I just see a risky pick.

Iggy to me is at least a middle 6F in the NHL for his low potential. His high is a very good top 6F who plays the game the right way. Outside chance at top line winger value.

Lindstrom high is top 2C or power winger. His low could be bottom 6F or bust. He's one of my candidates to be a possible top 10 bust or disappointment. There are always 2 or 3 that don't turn out well in the top 10.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've watched a fair amount of video with Iggy but not so much with Lindstrom. I also seen Iginla at the u18's and liked what I saw.

Lindstrom has the ability to be better than Iginla if he is that monster center who plays physical. But from what have heard, he's no Byfield. I hate being negative on Lindstrom because it could back fire like B Tkachuk. I just see a risky pick.
Is he supposed to be? This is the second time I see you randomly draw comparison to Byfield and other than the obvious, what's the connection there for you?

Also, I don't think you're being negative here...if you have concerns about the player i'd love to read them, cause from the little I've seen, I love his projectability and I know that projectability is a big thing for this management.
Iggy to me is at least a middle 6F in the NHL for his low potential. His high is a very good top 6F who plays the game the right way. Outside chance at top line winger value.
So basically a Joshua Roy?
Lindstrom high is top 2C or power winger. His low could be bottom 6F or bust. He's one of my candidates to be a possible top 10 bust or disappointment. There are always 2 or 3 that don't turn out well in the top 10.
Again, with my limited viewings and expertise...he seems like a "can't miss prospect" type to me. But like I said earlier, I like projectability, I don't put as much stock in what i'm seeing today as much as I put stock into what I think we might see in 3-5 years.

And for me, the total package is just too appealing to pass on if he's there.

Reactions: Shutdown

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is he supposed to be? This is the second time I see you randomly draw comparison to Byfield and other than the obvious, what's the connection there for you?

Also, I don't think you're being negative here...if you have concerns about the player i'd love to read them, cause from the little I've seen, I love his projectability and I know that projectability is a big thing for this management.

So basically a Joshua Roy?

Again, with my limited viewings and expertise...he seems like a "can't miss prospect" type to me. But like I said earlier, I like projectability, I don't put as much stock in what i'm seeing today as much as I put stock into what I think we might see in 3-5 years.

And for me, the total package is just too appealing to pass on if he's there.

It's just looking at recent big boys on D who were taken top 5. Byfield came to mind.

How much usage did Lindstrom get with G McKenna?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's just looking at recent big boys on D who were taken top 5. Byfield came to mind.

How much usage did Lindstrom get with G McKenna?
I'm not sure how much usage he got with McKenna, I think I saw a stat on X yesterday saying that 65% of his points came while McKenna or Basha were on the ice but for me this kind of stuff is over-evaluation.

The majority of players need good players around them to help them produce.

I don't think its fair to hold against him the fact that he may have been surrounded by good players, whatever he benefitted from, they did as well.

Reactions: morhilane and Deebs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Guhle for Zegras to take Silayev or Buium or Parekh.

Thank god none of you are GMs.
Parekh was exposed against London and it wouldn't surprise me if he falls into the 15 OA to 25 OA range. If he goes higher, the team drafting him hasn't been watching closely. And when has that ever happened?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'm not sure how much usage he got with McKenna, I think I saw a stat on X yesterday saying that 65% of his points came while McKenna or Basha were on the ice but for me this kind of stuff is over-evaluation.

The majority of players need good players around them to help them produce.

I don't think its fair to hold against him the fact that he may have been surrounded by good players, whatever he benefitted from, they did as well.
It's normal that you produce more with your linemates. You play the most with them. Lindstrom was on a line with Basha and played the pp with McKenna (and Basha).

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's normal that you produce more with your linemates. You play the most with them. Lindstrom was on a line with Basha and played the pp with McKenna (and Basha).
There's always ways to use this for or against a player.

If he played with no one noteworthy, one could easily say he got all those points by virtue of being the only threat.

Again, I try to spend less time looking at what players have done and more time looking at what I think they can do in the future.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I love the idea of moving up from the WPG pick.
While I love Demidov, I'd rather use our assets for that than moving up from 5, I like our odds there.
Let's be honest too, the assets we're discussing (Barron, Harris, Mesar, Beck, COL 2nd, CGY/FLA 1st) are not exactly immensely valuable.

Let's assume:
- we have the assets and are ready to use them for this purpose
- the following 8 players are picked top 10 almost certainly: Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Silayev, Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson, Iginla

Who are we actually willing to move up for?
Personal review:
Sennecke - yes and willing to lose the trade value-wise (not sure we even have the assets)
Catton - yes and willing to lose the trade value-wise (not sure we even have the assets)
Eiserman - 90% hinging on the interviews, I currently don't like the vibe
Helenius - probably for pure value but I just can't get excited
Parekh - not his biggest fan but again, from a value point of view, probably makes sense to gamble at say 14+
Yakemchuk - I suspect the Habs like his traits a lot, I would consider it
Connelly - hard no, this guy can go chupa a cabra
MBN - intriguing scenario, might be cheaper because he likely goes 15+ or pushes down one of the above
Greentree - no for skating reasons
Hage - maybe, likely a cheaper deal
Boisvert - maybe, likely a cheaper deal
Basha - if you took Lindstrom, really like this guy and hear he might go a few picks ahead of 27, yep sure

Agree? Disagree?

Note: I feel like when bad teams are willing to trade their top 15 pick away, it's more often than not for a player with more certainty and immediate impact, and rarely for lesser picks/prospects. I don't think MTL has such a player to offer, so I'm not really getting my hopes up.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Parekh was exposed against London and it wouldn't surprise me if he falls into the 15 OA to 25 OA range. If he goes higher, the team drafting him hasn't been watching closely. And when has that ever happened?
It was actually the Soo Greyhounds who did Parehk in.
He was never the same after the high hit and was basically a no show for the series against London.
He's not a great skater at all I'd be concerned about that.

Reactions: Runner77

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
What's going on with everyone trading Guhle? He is still very young and is already a rock on the blueline. He is part of the core moving forward

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Here's a different approach.

What would it take to get the 3rd overall from Anaheim and the 6th overall from Utah, while keeping our 5th overall?

We could try to build our forward group in one draft.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What's going on with everyone trading Guhle? He is still very young and is already a rock on the blueline. He is part of the core moving forward

I guess people are considering this because we have a lot of LD prospects/young NHL players.

If Romanov got us a 13th, Guhle should get a lot more.

Here's a different approach.

What would it take to get the 3rd overall from Anaheim and the 6th overall from Utah, while keeping our 5th overall?

We could try to build our forward group in one draft.

Guys like Guhle might help us get the 3OA, if we add other assets.

Perhaps Reinbacher for Utah's 6th OA, under the assumption they were going to take him last year at 6th, and he is one year closer to the NHL now.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It was actually the Soo Greyhounds who did Parehk in.
He was never the same after the high hit and was basically a no show for the series against London.
He's not a great skater at all I'd be concerned about that.
His game, while effective offensively against teenagers, isn't transferrable against NHL level players. There's a half dozen defencemen and a dozen forwards that I would take before Parekh.

I guess people are considering this because we have a lot of LD prospects/young NHL players.

If Romanov got us a 13th, Guhle should get a lot more.

Guys like Guhle might help us get the 3OA, if we add other assets.

Perhaps Reinbacher for Utah's 6th OA, under the assumption they were going to take him last year at 6th, and he is one year closer to the NHL now.
If you could pull off that move you would probably get elected Mayor of Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad