Moving to Helsinki.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
This thread has actually got me thinking again that despite not being the biggest of metropols, the capital of Finland is a strangely varied place.

I mean, you can basically have a modern urban business center, then this beautiful and quaint western garden town and finally an unit of concrete boxes straight out of the Eastern Bloc right next to each other.

As an unrelated note, I'm not sure how big of a help playing a virtual tour guide at this stage is going to be, considering your housing's not exactly "I've decided to move to location X" (well, unless one's got loads of $$$) but more like "what's available and where".

Vantaa=full of concrete boxes, Espoo=Garden city, Helsinki=A Mix of them.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
This could be fun book even though you are not moving here after a finnish girl but as a family:

Phil Schwarzmann: How to Marry a Finnish Girl. Everything You Wanted to Know about Finland that Finns Won’t Tell You.
http://www.howtomarryafinnishgirl.com/

Writer used to have a good blog finlandforthought.net but he haven't been writing it that much anymore. Does also some standup comedy and works in Nokia.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Well in fact after a few research, houses are a lot more expensive in Finland than Canada, at least in euro, i mean, a house costing $ 200 000 in canada have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, at this rate in Helsinki you've got a bit less actualy, don't know exactly the cost of life in Helsinki.

(Edit: Thanks for the different links and tips guys)

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Well in fact after a few research, houses are a lot more expensive in Finland than Canada, at least in euro, i mean, a house costing $ 200 000 in canada have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, at this rate in Helsinki you've got a bit less actualy, don't know exactly the cost of life in Helsinki.

(Edit: Thanks for the different links and tips guys)

Finland should be one of the most expensive place to live in the world. I don't know but euro is unbalanced right now. There is so many crisis in europe atm. I wouldn't be suprised if it collapses a bit.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Käpylä is a good option also. Not as close to the downtown but the train station is near and a lot of busses go straight to the center. Few schools in the area also and the price range should be smaller than in Töölö. Peaceful place to live.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If you wish for something similar in the similar price range, then Vantaa is the way to go. Though most of these options are sitting right next to those places I alluded to in an earlier post.

If you want a nice place in a nice hood suitable for more than just one person (or a young couple without children), it's very likely you'll either have to settle for little less space or have a steady income over the Finnish average. Worst case, both.

As far as general living costs go, not counting housing and related, but food, clothing, and other everyday expenses, I'd estimate that they're around 300-400 euros/month per one person. A standard family unit of four needs at least 2,500 € net income for rather comfortable way of life and even then one shouldn't expect to rack up a plenty of savings.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
If you wish for something similar in the similar price range, then Vantaa is the way to go. Though most of these options are sitting right next to those places I alluded to in an earlier post.

If you want a nice place in a nice hood suitable for more than just one person (or a young couple without children), it's very likely you'll either have to settle for little less space or have a steady income over the Finnish average. Worst case, both.

As far as general living costs go, not counting housing and related, but food, clothing, and other everyday expenses, I'd estimate that they're around 300-400 euros/month per one person. A standard family unit of four needs at least 2,500 € net income for rather comfortable way of life and even then one shouldn't expect to rack up a plenty of savings.

You kinda reassure me on that one ! You know i'm a bit speechless about the way i'm letting down by my company, which is a worldwide one, and isn't helping much, i make the effort to move from my country with my wife and kids to accept their offer and i'm kinda lost in it. Hopefully you guys are very helpful, as well as other finland forum based and several worker friend already living there. :handclap:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I think that Lauttasaari and Ruoholahti are too far away from Vuosaari harbour, and not close to good routes either (unless you want to take Länsiväylä to Kehä 1 and drive the whole Kehä 1 to Itäkeskus but you might as well move to Espoo).

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
kyltti? liikennemerkki?

It depends, mostly finnish and swedish.

Yeah, ofcourse. Mostly in Finnish and Swedish. Few are in English also like the airport. You may have to actually learn few Finnish words.

BTW here's a map of Helsinki's districts so you know what we are talking about. It doesn't have them all like that dreaded Kontula isn't shown (it's in Mellunkylä area) but it's the best I could find.

762px-Helsinki_neighborhoods-fi.svg.png

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I think that Lauttasaari and Ruoholahti are too far away from Vuosaari harbour, and not close to good routes either (unless you want to take Länsiväylä to Kehä 1 and drive the whole Kehä 1 to Itäkeskus but you might as well move to Espoo).
They are good places but yeah distance and routes are not very good.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
You kinda reassure me on that one ! You know i'm a bit speechless about the way i'm letting down by my company, which is a worldwide one, and isn't helping much, i make the effort to move from my country with my wife and kids to accept their offer and i'm kinda lost in it. Hopefully you guys are very helpful, as well as other finland forum based and several worker friend already living there. :handclap:
No problem. But like I said, that's pretty much the minimum per month for comfortable lifestyle by Finnish standards. Oh, and it just occured to me that you might wish to add at least another 500 to that sum since you'll be driving your own car. Gas prices are something a person coming from North America will NOT love in these parts.

Don't know your exact wage of course, though generally a docker makes something 40 to 50K per year here in Finland. So yeah, that should be enough to support a family quite nicely. Gets even easier if the missus is able to haul something in as well.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I remember 5/6 years ago when i watched the WC, there were this finnish guy Jere Karalahti, man i loved him, badl, goatie, damn he looked like the judas priest singer :laugh: Is he still with HIFK?
No, went from IFK to Kärpät --> Frankfurt --> Blues --> KHL. He has been sober for years now. Had some problems with alcohol and dope.

Living around Kehä 1 or Kehä 3 (Routes: Ring 1 and 3) is not always advantage especially in rush hours...when they build the routes back in the days they never thought how crowded it can get around these years. They are improving/building them but still very slowly. Some areas are like "parking lots" during rush hour --> moving very very slowly. But I guess docker's working times are quite flexible/shift working and not always in the biggest rush hour time. But if I were you I would try to find a home closer to Vuosaari...the gasoline is crazy expensive.

I've red that Kehä 1 and Kehä 3 traffic will grow in next 20 years about 60-100%. One Kehä was +60% and the other Kehä +100%. Can't remember which was which. More lanes are needed and fast.

702px-Helsinki_region_roads.jpg

Last edited:

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
Vantaa=full of concrete boxes, Espoo=Garden city, Helsinki=A Mix of them.

Aye the description is pretty much right.

I have lived in Espoo, Tapiola, next to the coast and 8 minute drive from Ruoholahti for my whole life and could really not want to live anywhere else.
Absolutely love the Greater Tapiola Area, unfortunately so does many others and the prices are very high, not going to get any cheaper as the place is getting a lot denser in 2-4 years as metro/subway will be ready by 2015.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
-This is an expensive city
-Natives are shy and can appear rude
-Winter is long, dark, cold and harsh
-Downtown is small and in winter it can feel pretty dead if you don't know where to go. People spend most of the time indoors.

Welcome to Helsinki.

081123_1359.jpg

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
The dark times are the worst around these months but it will get little bit better. And when you come here during winter and then experience the summer it's going to be literally like two different worlds edit. --> the city will lighten up and also the people, they are actually smiling then :)

Last edited:

nudpedler

Oct 18, 2010
9071784.jpg

Map of "metropolitan area" (lol) which includes Helsinki, Vantaa, Espoo.

Green shape = downtown Helsinki
Violet shape = your job, Vuosaari harbour

Just do not move to those red/orange areas (except Vallila, it's good place). Lime orange areas (Myyrmäki, Laajasalo etc.) are okay. This map obv doesen't have all locations named, but you can compare this map to maps.google.fi. Example if you get good offer from "Mellunkylä", just check from maps.google.fi where it is and you will notice it is between Kontula and Myllypuro so it is not good place.

I think this is quite good and simple way to choose your neighbour if you are foreigner and your biggest criterion is to find child-friendly/safe place.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This is a very good map for given purpose. Literally it deals with unemployment rates, but it's also an excellent demonstration on which areas in Helsinki and its surrounding municipalities tend to be bit more "seedy" than what could be considered comfortable. Can't help but agree with everything nudpedler said. It is recommendable to avoid the red and reddish blotches if possible. While they're not necessarily total dumps to live in, I still wouldn't recommend 'em to anyone who wishes to get as good impression from Finland as possible.

Last edited:

ToBBa

Mar 5, 2011
Finland
I think u should get some hobbies for your kids, maybe for you and your wife too. Do you or your kids play hockey or something? :laugh: I just think that some hobby would help: to adapt to the Finnish lifestyle, learn the language and maybe to make few friends:). I recommend this specially for kids. Finland has quite a similar culture, climate etc. to Canada, doesn't it? I hope you like being here :)

Last edited:

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
I have nothing to contribute to this thread because of the good work by others but welcome to Helsinki and I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad