Speculation: Moving Defense for Cap Space

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not sure who those half- dozen guys are, but the RD problem is league wide, not just the leafs, so demand will exceed supply and I’ll predict fewer low cost signings.
I’ve seen projections that Ron Hainsey could get three years again at similar AAV, and he’s 39.
That’s why I like the UFA euro guys. ELC options.
Honestly a guy like Polak does everything Z does and he'll be under half. Then you have guys like Lovejoy, Girardi, Engelland, McQuaid. Some are downgrades (similar IMO) at significantly lower caps, others would be at least equal at roughly half the cap.

I'd also take Hainsey at a reduced cap over (still half Z) over Zaitsev any day of the week, but I know I'm in the minority there. He's just a smarter player who does the same jobs.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Honestly a guy like Polak does everything Z does and he'll be under half. Then you have guys like Lovejoy, Girardi, Engelland, McQuaid. Some are downgrades (similar IMO) at significantly lower caps, others would be at least equal at roughly half the cap.

I'd also take Hainsey at a reduced cap over (still half Z) over Zaitsev any day of the week, but I know I'm in the minority there. He's just a smarter player who does the same jobs.
I like Ron Hainsey a lot, I’d have him back too. But not at term.
I don’t see any of the other guys as upgrades.
Zaitsev looked good with Muzzin and Dermott, especially in the second half of the season. That’s all with Babs reconstructing him.
I appreciate the sentiment. But, still, I think Zaitsev is fine and demand > supply.
Back on topic, welcome Ilya.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I like Ron Hainsey a lot, I’d have him back too. But not at term.
I don’t see any of the other guys as upgrades.
Zaitsev looked good with Muzzin and Dermott, especially in the second half of the season. That’s all with Babs reconstructing him.
I appreciate the sentiment. But, still, I think Zaitsev is fine and demand > supply.
Back on topic, welcome Ilya.
Hainsey next year could be Marleau this year. Not worth the risk. It's more of a last resort option.

Reactions: willmma

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Hainsey next year could be Marleau this year. Not worth the risk. It's more of a last resort option.
Impossible.

A 1 year deal at a position of weakness is the polar opposite of a multi year deal at a position of strength.

Hainsey back would be very welcome if he was cheap and I'm sure the front office(coaching and management) wants to get it done

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Impossible.

A 1 year deal at a position of weakness is the polar opposite of a multi year deal at a position of strength.

Hainsey back would be very welcome if he was cheap and I'm sure the front office(coaching and management) wants to get it done
meant his game could fall hard

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Very solid in the playoffs.
Get him off the top pair, manage his work load, and I don’t doubt he can still contribute.
I can’t see how it’s feasible unless he really wants to be here (1-yr....cheap cheap). On the third pair he’d still be a great asset and mentor, not to mention placeholder while the younger Marlies develop.
There’s worse options and worse risks.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Ozhiganov with a little bit more development would be much better than Zaitsev. He can pass it very well and has good poise on breakouts. His skating is pretty good as well and has size. Too bad he is going back to the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad