Olympics: Move Mens Ice hockey to Summer Olympics?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Interesting Idea. I have another one.

Dont move it to Summer Olympics. Lets move Winter games to southern hemisphere. South America, New Zealand, Aussies . Then you can have Winter Olympics and play it in summer. With full NHL roster without any restrictions.

now this is inventive :laugh:

I like the idea. Winter Olympics in July/August, but still with snow (if that actually happens)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The idea that this the sport would get any kind of traction at any other time than during the actual Winter Olympics is quite naive.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
And force countries like Brazil to build ice hockey arenas. Now that is realistic....or wait! :help:

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Why would hockey need its own arenas when every other indoor sport shares the venues with each other already?

Not really. Few shared but in different time. Taken from Rio.

Judo (days 1-7) and Wrestling (days 9-16)
Fencing (days 1-9) and Taekwondo (days 12-15)
Swimming (days 1-8) and Water polo playoffs (days 10-15)
W Basketball preliminaries (days 1-9) and modern pentathlon fencing (days 14-15)
Diving, synchronized swimming and water polo preliminaries

Ice hockey tournament takes the whole tournament, so that can't be shared. In Sochi there was a total of 52 games (taking account both men and women) in two arenas. The smaller one wasn't used in the end and the bigger one in the beginning (since women started earlier and played in the smaller arena)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Did Bettman really float this idea out there? If so, what an arrogant ignoramus. Hockey would be downright buried in the summer games in terms of exposure and popularity.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Did Bettman really float this idea out there? If so, what an arrogant ignoramus. Hockey would be downright buried in the summer games in terms of exposure and popularity.
I think those floating the idea are fans of the Olympics with NHL involvement

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I've climbed the highest mountains in South Africa in winter. I don't proclaim to be an expert but it was about 20 degrees Celsius.

I think it's possible if a country like Argentina really really wanted it they could build a **** load of arenas in Bariloche, or maybe have the arenas in Buenos Aires. But considering that would essentially be two different host cities it would break from precedent.

When you consider how many countries will now host Winter Olympics in 2026 (0 !), then it isnt such bad idea.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Not really. Few shared but in different time. Taken from Rio.

Judo (days 1-7) and Wrestling (days 9-16)
Fencing (days 1-9) and Taekwondo (days 12-15)
Swimming (days 1-8) and Water polo playoffs (days 10-15)
W Basketball preliminaries (days 1-9) and modern pentathlon fencing (days 14-15)
Diving, synchronized swimming and water polo preliminaries

Ice hockey tournament takes the whole tournament, so that can't be shared. In Sochi there was a total of 52 games (taking account both men and women) in two arenas. The smaller one wasn't used in the end and the bigger one in the beginning (since women started earlier and played in the smaller arena)

What I mean is that these wouldn't be arenas expressly for hockey. Every large "hockey" arena is used for other purposes as well, be it concerts or other sports.

When you consider how many countries will now host Winter Olympics in 2026 (0 !), then it isnt such bad idea.

I don't know what are you talking about but the bidding process for the games hasn't even started yet. Currently there are 7 potential bids.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
This fantasy would require an enormous expenditure (they would have to build at least 2 arenas to accommodate 50-60 games) and a lot of negotiation for the sole and dubious purpose of seducing the NHL brass to comply at no inconvenience to themselves. What is in it for the IOC to make it worthwhile to accommodate Arctic-tier nations like Canada, Sweden, and Finland that consider hockey their national sport. On a planet with more than 7 billion people, those countries add up to a mere 50 million viewers that have a core interest in the sport. 6.95 billion, on the other hand, could care less whether the NHL participated or not.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That would be an incredibly [Censored by HFB] idea.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I totally admit I'd never heard/seen the comment before, but clearly Bettman said it

I'm not the only one in this thread who'd never heard it before

It doesn't change my overall view that the NHL doesn't care about ever being part of the Olympics (I think this comment, from last August, doesn't show an actual real NHL desire to play in the summer Olympics, moreso a statement that Bettman and the NHL knows will get rejected, but since Olympic participation doesn't matter to them they don't care - why would the NHL care about the Olympics over their own World Cup; the NHL has the best players and doesn't need the Olympics)

Nothing changes the fact that without NHLers Olympic hockey isn't a best-on-best and will be essentially meaningless

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I've climbed the highest mountains in South Africa in winter. I don't proclaim to be an expert but it was about 20 degrees Celsius.

I think it's possible if a country like Argentina really really wanted it they could build a **** load of arenas in Bariloche, or maybe have the arenas in Buenos Aires. But considering that would essentially be two different host cities it would break from precedent.

Mafadi is 3450m above sea level, I'd be very surprised if it was 20 degrees during summer, let alone winter. For reference it's about 2 degrees up their today, and winter has only just started....

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Mafadi is 3450m above sea level, I'd be very surprised if it was 20 degrees during summer, let alone winter. For reference it's about 2 degrees up their today, and winter has only just started....

It was chilly at the summit but not bad. I guess if June isn't winter I wasn't there in winter and maybe it was exceptionally warm two years ago but I just can't imagine they have enough snow pack to ski on.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
This is all about NHL being grumpy, NHL should look for the common good for the sport and not just short sighted revenue. No hockey at the Summer Olympics, just no.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen

All I know is that they already have official FIS alpine events there. I have personally never been though and am also not into the sport enough to know any of the mountains outside the general Germany/France/Austria area.

P.S.: By which I mean, which mountains are used for alpine events. I could probably throw out some random mountain names. ;)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
All I know is that they already have official FIS alpine events there. I have personally never been though and am also not into the sport enough to know any of the mountains outside the general Germany/France/Austria area.

P.S.: By which I mean, which mountains are used for alpine events. I could probably throw out some random mountain names. ;)

Yeah I don't follow skiing but I guess if they hold official tournaments there then you could theoretically have an olympics. Lesotho 2026!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad