Post-Game Talk: Mouse

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
He put it together in the 2nd half and playoffs last year. Giving up on him 20 games later makes no sense to me.

I have just never been high on him. I see the potential. I just dont think he will ever reach it. He makes the same boneheaded plays over and over again.

Maybe a good coach would do wonders for him.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
In the end I'd like to say that Kakko is the type of player you need to win in the playoffs while Hughes is the one to get you there. Im not sure if he would hold up under the physical stress of multiple playoff series. We will find out.
I think a lot of people are overlooking this point. Both Kakko and Laf are built for the playoffs, as we have already seen. Will Hughes be that type of player? Looks like we will see this year, but it is a different animal.

Reactions: Brother Mouzone

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think a lot of people are overlooking this point. Both Kakko and Laf are built for the playoffs, as we have already seen. Will Hughes be that type of player? Looks like we will see this year, but it is a different animal.
of all the copes this board has with our young players sucking and the Devils being good this is absolutely the worst one.

I loved the kid line but for god's sake Chytil lead them with 9 points in 20 games. it's really not impressive.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The Devils didn’t rag doll us at all. If Shesterkin didn’t play like a beer league goalie, we would have won.
The weird thing for me is that, while Shesterkin gave up at least two softies, he also made some terrific saves.
I think the Devils still deserved approximately four goals. Not the actual ones they got, but four goals nonetheless.
Igor could have won this one for us but getting just three goals probably wasn’t enough anyhow.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
of all the copes this board has with our young players sucking and the Devils being good this is absolutely the worst one.

I loved the kid line but for god's sake Chytil lead them with 9 points in 20 games. it's really not impressive.

Two things.
1. You are missing the context of the Kid line IMPROVING as the playoffs went on.

2. You are missing the oft repeated point that the Kid line was almost entirely even strength. When you compare even strength points and take the time disadvantage into consideration, the Kids did great.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I wonder if Panarin, Igor and Kravtsov might have trouble concentrating on their play, not been able to perform fully, mentally, due to the situation in their home country, where they still have family & friends to worry about (not discussing what's going on over there, but how it affects their players over here).
Would have to compare them to other Russian players around the league and even in other sports, I suppose.

Reactions: leetch99

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I mean Nico's arguably been the better player this year. He's pacing for 90+ and should be top 2 in Selke running. He's turning out better than expected and looks like a bonafide (at minimum) top 10 C. The hype for Laf was probably somewhat near this sort of level but I wouldn't say Kakko's was
Fair point. I'm underestimating Hischier, he's absolutely a top notch player and I'd kill for him to be a Ranger.

All I mean is that Hughes has skill level that's rivaled by only the absolute best in the game. McDavid, Crosby, Kane, etc. He's a magician with the puck. Laf and Kakko certainly don't have that, so looking at Hughes as a comparison is a fruitless exercise. Their skill levels and physical abilities are more aligned with Hischier, but Nico has found a way to become a star center. Our guys are 2nd/3rd line tweeners.

Kakko is at least showing the potential and making progress. I'm seeing practically no progress with Laf. The Rangers inability to turn these guys into scoring threats is a joke.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
IMHO most of the takes in here are sane even the ones I don't necessarily agree with ..I have seen this board meltdown after a win .

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So, you believe that Laf and Kakko would be the equivalent of Hughes, now, if their teams were reversed?

I don't.

If McDavid were drafted by the Rangers do you think he'd be playing like Laf and Kakko, now?

I don't.

Fox was in the same boat as Laf and Kakko. Didn't seem to hinder him, much.

Players are responsible for how they perform.
McDavid would be an 80 point player for the Rangers. I would bet anything.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Besides the player, himself, what?
There's *checks notes* the director of player development?

He has an entire staff. The coach has an entire staff. There's teammates. The GM makes massive decisions on these guys (whether or not to send them to the minors, back to juniors, when/if to pull the plug on a guy). He has an entire staff. The president and owner set the culture of the team (which I think is the biggest issue here). Scouts determine not just who's the best but who's a good fit for your team and culture.

Then there's your AHL team. Your AHL team has every one of the above.

This is like 200 guys and a full-blown institution with a culture and values and you're not buying that the Rangers are bad at it because you're hung up on one guy, the head coach.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
There's *checks notes* the director of player development?

He has an entire staff. The coach has an entire staff. There's teammates. The GM makes massive decisions on these guys (whether or not to send them to the minors, back to juniors, when/if to pull the plug on a guy). He has an entire staff. The president and owner set the culture of the team (which I think is the biggest issue here). Scouts determine not just who's the best but who's a good fit for your team and culture.

Then there's your AHL team. Your AHL team has every one of the above.

This is like 200 guys and a full-blown institution with a culture and values and you're not buying that the Rangers are bad at it because you're hung up on one guy, the head coach.
Who even runs the show as far as player dev anywayy?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Jed Ortmeyer which is the most Rangers thing I've ever posted.
Well that isn't very confidence inspiring. I forgot about that. Jed was cool as a player but I wonder how he got that job because I feel like player development jobs are among the harder ones unless you're a freak of nature

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Anyone thats against putting the kids in the top 6, i have a question for you, 2 part.
What has Vesey done on the top line? And what do we owe him? He's a temporary passenger on this bus, same with Carpenter and Blais. We should be playing the players that will be here so they are ready when the team is ready. btw the team will never be ready until the kids are.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Jed Ortmeyer which is the most Rangers thing I've ever posted.
Do we know what his role actually entails?
I'm assuming (and praying really) that there's no 'skills' coaching be done by Ortmeyer (because that would be insane) and the role is more around game prep, readiness and things away from the rink.

Also, do we know who does it elsewhere? Is it generally a role filled by NHL journeymen or do other clubs aim higher?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Do we know what his role actually entails?
I'm assuming (and praying really) that there's no 'skills' coaching be done by Ortmeyer (because that would be insane) and the role is more around game prep, readiness and things away from the rink.

Also, do we know who does it elsewhere? Is it generally a role filled by NHL journeymen or do other clubs aim higher?
Whatever it entails, he can't possibly be good at it lol

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Apparently he's been in the role since June 2017. So he's been the director of Development for the entire careers of Andersson, Chytil, Krav, KK and Laf.
Would love to know what his KPIs are and how he's showing that he is hitting them...
We've had the same 'skills coach' for nearly a decade. Zero merit. Zero results.

I'm telling you, these people running the org are just friends/acquaintances of Sather. If he likes you, you get a job.

Jed Ortmeyers assistant.... Tanner Glass. You really can't make that up

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We've had the same 'skills coach' for nearly a decade. Zero merit. Zero results.

I'm telling you, these people running the org are just friends/acquaintances of Sather. If he likes you, you get a job.

I've actually gone from thinking Ortmeyer was probably irrelevant to being pretty pissed off about the whole thing.
Nothing against Jed who is probably a great guy and his story of working his arse off to have an NHL career is great. But WTF gives him the experience/qualifications to be a 'Director' of anything, and how did he show that his knowledge and experience would be able to be passed on to draftees and young players?

How does a guy who was never drafted, spent 4 years in the college system and knew that his meal ticket was 100% based on never having a shift off, never complaining or questioning, and doing anything and everything asked by the coach, relate to very high draft picks from all over the world who are entering the NHL as 18/19 year olds with a load of expectations already on their shoulders?

Ortmeyer didn't even share a locker-room with many guys like that

Reactions: CLW and duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I've actually gone from thinking Ortmeyer was probably irrelevant to being pretty pissed off about the whole thing.
Nothing against Jed who is probably a great guy and his story of working his arse off to have an NHL career is great. But WTF gives him the experience/qualifications to be a 'Director' of anything, and how did he show that his knowledge and experience would be able to be passed on to draftees and young players?

How does a guy who was never drafted, spent 4 years in the college system and knew that his meal ticket was 100% based on never having a shift off, never complaining or questioning, and doing anything and everything asked by the coach, relate to very high draft picks from all over the world who are entering the NHL as 18/19 year olds with a load of expectations already on their shoulders?

Ortmeyer didn't even share a locker-room with many guys like that
we should all be pissed with the results

Reactions: Boris Zubov

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
we should all be pissed with the results

I can handle crappy results (up to a point) if I can understand and respect the underlying process (sometime even the best laid plans don't work), but we seem to be devoid of process in a lot of key areas

Reactions: CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad