TBN: Moulson's blames season on lack of confidence/ Murray blames work ethic

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Where did Moulson say he felt embarrassed? Or even hinted at it?

Moulson on Friday denied slacking off previously.

“I don’t think my workout’s changed very much,†he said in First Niagara Center. “I train extremely hard in the summers. I just think it was a case of I kind of lost my confidence and building that back up by the way I’m working. I don’t think my workouts have really changed. I’ve taken my off-ice performances pretty seriously my entire life, so I don’t think that really has changed.â€

Informed of Murray’s words, Moulson said, "OK." Asked if he has neglected things, Moulson said: “There’s always room for improvement, so maybe I decided toimprove some things.â€

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Moulson on Friday denied slacking off previously.

“I don’t think my workout’s changed very much,†he said in First Niagara Center. “I train extremely hard in the summers. I just think it was a case of I kind of lost my confidence and building that back up by the way I’m working. I don’t think my workouts have really changed. I’ve taken my off-ice performances pretty seriously my entire life, so I don’t think that really has changed.â€

Informed of Murray’s words, Moulson said, "OK." Asked if he has neglected things, Moulson said: “There’s always room for improvement, so maybe I decided to improve some things.â€

I read all that, I don't see embarrassment. If anything he probably didn't see that question coming and wasn't entirely sure what to say.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
What do you think is the real issue?

And a followup, do you think Moulson has Britta'd it?

#sixseasonsandamovie

The best indication of where Moulson stands in the organization is from Murray. With that said, let's leave Moulson as the Human Being we know he can be, and re evaluate after this season.

I pray this contract does not turn into 6 seasons, and an extension... er.. movie.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
very public display of "get your ass in gear or you wont be playing here much longer", couldn't care less if he was embarrassed, publicly shamed, or suffered any other playground insult, a seasoned vet whose career has either passed him by or he's not working hard enough, if its the first then handling him with kid gloves wouldn't matter if it's the latter then its exactly what he deserves

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
So Murray admits that Moulson for the last couple of years has been slacking off but decides to give him $25,000,000 anyways. Interesting.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
So Murray admits that Moulson for the last couple of years has been slacking off but decides to give him $25,000,000 anyways. Interesting.

When Moulson was signed he was coming off a very good season where he played with 3 teams. I think the teams just getting younger and faster and Moulson is at the point players start slowing down. He takes a lot of crap, but lately he has been more engaged in the play and is following up on forchecks, backchecks, etc. I really don't blame Murray for the contract, and I actually don't blame Moulson for his lack of production, we all slow down as we get older, some more than others, hopefully he corrects it and can score goals again, but if he can't as long as he's showing that he's working hard he can be on our fourth line until we need the money freed up.

In more upset by the unprofessional shock journalism. This is why players and management are usually so measured in their comments. There's no need to try to embarass or put Moulson on the spot. This isn't a presidential campaign, I don't need to see how he handles direct attacks to his character and being called a liar. Total lack of respect and class from TBN, which should be expected by now. I'm surprised they didn't ask when he stop beating his wife.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
In more upset by the unprofessional shock journalism. This is why players and management are usually so measured in their comments. There's no need to try to embarass or put Moulson on the spot. This isn't a presidential campaign, I don't need to see how he handles direct attacks to his character and being called a liar. Total lack of respect and class from TBN, which should be expected by now. I'm surprised they didn't ask when he stop beating his wife.

I don't understand this at all. A disputed account between a player and coach isn't even close to being out of bounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
'I don't think my workout has changed that much.' Yes, Matt, that is exactly what Murray is saying. You are getting old and the kids coming up behind you have more effective workout regimes and are in better shape than you were at that same age. If you want to stay in the NHL, you need to work harder and smarter.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Reading further, even Moulson has to know it isn't just confidence. His ability to compete for pucks was basically non-existent for 50 games. The last 15 or so I've seen life, but it's life in its most basic multicellular form.

He gets beat to almost every puck as he has really lost a step. I can't see him getting this speed back in the middle of a season. Maybe if he goes nuts this off season, but I really don't see the motivation for this. Rarely do you see a 30+ year old player come back from this.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Nothing about this is shock journalism. They asked him about what he's doing to get better, probably assuming he'll confirm what Murray's told them. When he doesn't, they have to follow up. If anything, this is on Murray. He should have told Moulson he was going to the media with what they've been talking about, and that he should expect to have to answer questions about being lazy. He wasn't caught off guard because the journalists launched some kind of sneak attack. He was caught off guard because he obviously wasn't aware his GM was speaking out about him publicly.

And again, "Matt deserves it" =/= "This is how you build a respectful team environment." You want to put a player under fire in the media for being lazy, at least tell him yourself first.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I don't understand this at all. A disputed account between a player and coach isn't even close to being out of bounds.

If it was a disputed account ok, but he set Moulson up to give an answer allowing him to play "got ya". If he's got information like another person's comments he should of led with "did you hear what Murray said" or "do you agree..." not set him up for failure. Unless Moulson comes out and tells that exact same story it was going to be used against him. If he would have said he changed up his workout and has recommited himself, he mould have gotten "Murray said he took you aside and made you do that." It's all the media has left, semantics and hit pieces to drive views, hoping no one relizes how absolutely unnecessary print media is. All the sports page needs is the scores and point spread, if you want interviews and access to players follow them on Twitter, or watch post game Q&A.

I'm just so tired of the constant negativity from our own press. They live to trash players, management, and fans, it's completely unnecessary and a lot of those fans have a better understanding of the game then the guy who is trying to create the controversy. The only reporter I trust around the team is Hamilton, because he can be critical without totally being a **** about it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He gets beat to almost every puck as he has really lost a step. I can't see him getting this speed back in the middle of a season. Maybe if he goes nuts this off season, but I really don't see the motivation for this. Rarely do you see a 30+ year old player come back from this.

Can anyone remember a player of his age and long-term lack of foot-speed ever getting that back? I don't. He's cooked.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Can anyone remember a player of his age and long-term lack of foot-speed ever getting that back? I don't. He's cooked.

For sure, but If Dan uses him better he might see better results. Load him up with O-zone faceoffs and PP time. Make him be a net front presence, it worked the season before we signed him. He was a cheaper, slower, Vanek. The hand eye is still there, he's just spending too much time chasing. Put him with Larsson and Kane and let him cherry pick and cheat on the blueline, then head straight to the front of the net, so that when Kane gets ready to fire off one of those shots that go either right in the goalies crest or misses the net, he can be there to screen and tip.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I was surprised to hear Murray say all of that about Moulson. Even still, you could tell he was biting his tongue. It seems to me Murray hopes Moulson can come back next season and score enough goals that he can sell him off to a rebuilding team with just two years left on the deal. Moulson puts up a McGinn type of season next year and Murray might be able to sweet talk someone into taking him along with some picks.

As poor as Moulson has been, and poor is a big understatement, I won't write him off just yet

If he works on his skating in the summer and can come back just a bit quicker, with the right linemates he could be a 20 goal guy again. His hands are still there. That would be best case scenario.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

I feel like even Brendan Dassey could read this and understand it's all regarding post-contract Moulson. Not sure where you got lost

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Maybe I'm missing another article, but it sounds to me like there was an issue, they talked to the player and they said player took responsibility and improved upon it. To me this article was a waste.

Murray felt maybe Moulson's workout routine didnt "evolve" with where the league is going. Maybe he felt Moulson grew "comfortable" wth his workout without addressing his need to work on his aging skating speed.

I would love to have heard how the reporter phrased the question though. Either way it sounds like any issue that maybe Buffalo had they confronted Moulson (probably around the same time his play has improved) and he listened and took their advice.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Seriously, this should have been handled behind closed doors. Murray should have held off on public shaming of Moulson and just accepted accountability for a bad contract.

This stuff was already handled behind closed doors. This is just a case of TBN making a subject out of nothing so they have something to put in their paper.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I do wonder how much possibly/probably being overweight and out of shape has contributed to what we are seeing.

May as well get him working harder now with an eye toward next season since it seems prohibitive to buy him out this summer. Lighter, stronger... not much they can do about his overall lack of foot-speed though.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This stuff was already handled behind closed doors. This is just a case of TBN making a subject out of nothing so they have something to put in their paper.

What? This is Vogl repeating Murray's comments. Murray also made comments on WGR about this as well. The story is Murray has made Moulson get involved in a workout out regime to get some more out of him next year and beyond. He believes Moulson got into bad habits and didn't do what he should in his off ice workouts to prepare himself.

The reality is Murray is giving some public tough love to Moulson. (He said these same stuff that night on his WGR time slot). Believe it or not thats a story when the GM publicly calls out a player.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What? This is TBN repeating Murray's comments. Murray also made comments on WGR about this as well. The story is Murray has made Moulson get involved in a workout out regime to get some more out of him next year and beyond. He believes Moulson got into bad habits and didn't do what he should in his off ice workouts to prepare himself.

The reality is Murray is giving some public tough love to Moulson. Believe it or not thats a story when the GM publicly calls out a player.

What I'm saying is that this Moulson/Murray issue with Moulson's questionable workout has already been squashed. Murray said they talked to the Moulson. In my eyes, this is a nonissue to me. There was zero reason why this article had to be written.

Sure they talked to Murray and told them what he did. But did the article really need to be written? It's not as of this is taking place now. It took place in the past. Why write about something that happened a little bit ago and already taken care of?

Instead, readers will be talking about this happening now.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I love Murray publicly calling out Moulson.

Agreed. If you're a professional athlete management shouldn't have to tell you to stay in shape or inform you you're out of shape, especially after signing a 5 year deal for 25 million dollars. They made a huge commitment to you, now man up and put the work in. This is on Moulson.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad