OT: Most valuable rookie card

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Somewhat OT. Looking to invest into a Juraj Slafkovsky rookie card. Any idea how to navigate which card is more valuable between the thousands of variations that exist? Any website that would give an indication of card value?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Somewhat OT. Looking to invest into a Juraj Slafkovsky rookie card. Any idea how to navigate which card is more valuable between the thousands of variations that exist? Any website that would give an indication of card value?
SP Authentic. Get a future watch auto /999 especially if it's inscribed (might be draft position, date of NHL debut, date of first NHL goal)

The cup RPA(Rookie Patch Auto) but this won't be released for another 2 years I believe as Upper Deck is behind there.

As others have said Young Guns, but if you buy a hobby box you have a chance for

Young Gun Acetate
Young Gun Exclusive/100
Young Gun another Exclusive /10
Young Gun Gloss.

The cup RPA is going to be the mammoth value, but you need to get it, which will be thousands, if not potentially 10s of thousands of dollars in boxes. The box is 1 pack with 5 cards in it for 1k+

Or spend maybe a k, or more to get one when it's released, but by then, unless they speed up release we'll know if he's a dud, or not.

Your best bang for your buck is hobby boxes.

Black Diamond also does rookies that have more value than base YG.

Also, French version YG has more value than regular YG

I hate all these variants and stuff. I miss the good old regular o-pee-chee/topps cards with the gum. I miss the gum.
Nobody misses that teeth cracker.

• Haha
Reactions: skidcells and MarkJ

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
...your question just reminded me of how my brother used to have several (3? 5? Can't remember) Gretzky rookie cards...but he HATED Gretz as a kid because he thought of Wayne was...well, how we think of Drouin. He hated soft players. So he literally just threw them away (at other kids).
And before anyone says anything, he was really young...10? 11? Of course, he regretted doing so when he realized those cards were worth money, lol. Ah well. Easy come, easy go.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Some of mine i also got suzuki caufield and slafkovsky just dont have pics at the moment.

Attachments

• 20230520_212643.jpg
    20230520_212643.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230520_212614.jpg
    20230520_212614.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230512_122513.jpg
    20230512_122513.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: HabsQC and PhysicX

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
SP Authentic. Get a future watch auto /999 especially if it's inscribed (might be draft position, date of NHL debut, date of first NHL goal)

The cup RPA(Rookie Patch Auto) but this won't be released for another 2 years I believe as Upper Deck is behind there.

As others have said Young Guns, but if you buy a hobby box you have a chance for

Young Gun Acetate
Young Gun Exclusive/100
Young Gun another Exclusive /10
Young Gun Gloss.

The cup RPA is going to be the mammoth value, but you need to get it, which will be thousands, if not potentially 10s of thousands of dollars in boxes. The box is 1 pack with 5 cards in it for 1k+

Or spend maybe a k, or more to get one when it's released, but by then, unless they speed up release we'll know if he's a dud, or not.

Your best bang for your buck is hobby boxes.

Black Diamond also does rookies that have more value than base YG.

Also, French version YG has more value than regular YG

Nobody misses that teeth cracker.

Talking about the the cup.. I got his card when he was still a habs.. damn you Kotaniemi lol inwould mind that much if he breaks out cause i got this card.. but wont happen.

Attachments

• 20201202_200344.jpg
    20201202_200344.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 11

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I hate all these variants and stuff. I miss the good old regular o-pee-chee/topps cards with the gum. I miss the gum.
One of my earliest memories I have is when I got a dollar allowance and would buy 2 x 0.35 o-pee-chee packs with the hard gum (and a liquorice and a gumball) NO TAX!!!

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
When I was a young lad, any money I got, odd jobs, paper route, birthday money would be spent at the local convenience store on Hockey,Football,Baseball or Basketball cards. This was not for an investment but for the pure joy of collecting my favorite players. I started in 1967 right through the early 80s then stopped when life started occurring, real jobs, marriage, children etc. I will never sell these relics but will hand them down to my grandsons. I’m sure they will realize a monetary reward but I just can’t let them go!

Reactions: HabsQC

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
When I was a young lad, any money I got, odd jobs, paper route, birthday money would be spent at the local convenience store on Hockey,Football,Baseball or Basketball cards. This was not for an investment but for the pure joy of collecting my favorite players. I started in 1967 right through the early 80s then stopped when life started occurring, real jobs, marriage, children etc. I will never sell these relics but will hand them down to my grandsons. I’m sure they will realize a monetary reward but I just can’t let them go!
I just finished off my '79-80 OPC set. Picked up 15 commons off eBay. Some guy was selling them individually. Nice condition. I am retired now, seen it about a month ago decided to try and finish it. Started it in grade 9

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
UD young guns is your best investment
SP Authentic auto /999 is your second best bet.

Don't spend money on buying boxes and packs, just invest in the cards and players you want!

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Not that much. I have both Fedorov and Bure in Young Guns UD cards. Have Brodeur and Lidstrom RC also.

Not one of them is worth more than 100$, so I doubt Slaf is a strong investment.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but none of those rookies are worth more than 10$. Those early 90 cards unfortunately aren't worth much

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's going to cost a lot of money
Investing in Lukas Reichel right now might be a great pay off in the long run
Since when rookie cards that just came out are worth lot of money lol

Man the world have gone mad lately. The inflation of everything is just crazy. I have Jagr (ud), Modano (opcp), Sakic (opc) and Bure (ud yg) rookie cards and the last time i checked in early 2k they were all worth next to nothing. Also have all of Lidstrom 91-92 ud cards all worth next to nothing last time i checked.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Man the world have gone mad lately. The inflation of everything is just crazy. I have Jagr (ud), Modano (opcp), Sakic (opc) and Bure (ud yg) rookie cards and the last time i checked in early 2k they were all worth next to nothing. Also have all of Lidstrom 91-92 ud cards all worth next to nothing last time i checked.
It's because cards are a lot more rare now and some sets are numbered. Back then, the packs costed less then 2$ and you had rookies pretty much in every pack. So besides Gretzky and Lemieux, even the 80's they're not worth much.

You suppose too much. I just gave a baseline, didn't bother to check the price but knew none of them were worth 100$.
just saying, your baseline should have been 10$ lol

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Everybody saved them is why. Once that crazy hit in early 90s, everybody guarded them like gold. I bet no Lindstrom rookies ended up clothespinded to bicycle spoke? Older cards from 60s to mid-80s are fewer and farther in between.

Older cards like Bobby Orr OPC are good investments though. They won't lose their value. I bought up a few Orr from '72-73. His main card, Trophy cards, in action card. Off eBay. The investments plus you have nice cards. Make sure they in great shape

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad