Most useless or inaccurate stat in hockey?

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
My vote goes for Attendance stats.

It gets ranked on how high your yearly attendance average is, when it should be a percentage based stat. A team like Winnipeg who has a smaller arena will always be in the bottom half even if they sell out. Which makes no sense to me.

Or the Canucks who have been selling out their arena since 2003 is 10th in the league. Makes zero sense.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
My vote goes for Attendance stats.

It gets ranked on how high your yearly attendance average is, when it should be a percentage based stat. A team like Winnipeg who has a smaller arena will always be in the bottom half even if they sell out. Which makes no sense to me.

Or the Canucks who have been selling out their arena since 2003 is 10th in the league. Makes zero sense.

Of all stats out there, you focus on attendance numbers? WTF?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
+/-

People still use that stat in arguments. It's basically the HF way to tell that someone doesn't know what they're talking about. Anyone who tries it sticks out like a sore thumb in my eyes, anyway. On some cases it has some context, but other than that it is so misleading sometimes.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Point totals can paint an inaccurate picture of the true capabalities/effectiveness of a player.

Overall, I'd say +/- is the most misleading stat — it's more a team stat, than anything.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
+/- is actually incredibly underrated on these boards. Of course it's a context driven stat. That's a given. But looking at +/- over a long period of time (think multiple years) is definitely worthwhile.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I'll also +/-

The only time I use it is when I'm comparing players on the same team. If 2/3 of a team are minus players and one player is a high positive then it can be used as either an indicator of good defense or an indicator of that player having played very sheltered minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad