Speculation: Most Underrated Assets

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oscar Klefbom.

Top pairing defenceman on a sweetheart deal whose best partner in his entire career has been Adam Larsson. Plays 25 minutes a night in all situations, plays with McDavid half as much as Nurse does - meaning a lot of those minutes are with third line schlubs or worse, only 27 years old, under contract for three more seasons and in the last 24 hours there have been suggestions that Edmonton should trade him for futures or Mike Matheson +. :facepalm:

Reactions: Blueston

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Also I am surprised so far at some of the names on here that I would not have assumed would be available for trade
I don't think most names mentioned in this thread would actually be available via trade. Mostly just people naming players who are underrated.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Johnsson for me. he's not very highly regarded because he had an injury and a mediocre season, but I think the Leafs would really regret losing him

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don't know about "most" underrated but I see Haydn Fleury as being reasonably underrated, even by some Canes fans. I think in large part it's due to his slow but steadily development path in an era when there are kids who bust onto the NHL scene at 19 or 20 years old. When all is said and done I could see him as possibly reaching Pesce-ish level; perhaps not quite as good defensively, but maybe with a bit more offensive pop.

Last edited:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Bozak is definitely a guy I'd be targeting if I was another team's GM. He's been a great 3C and can step into a 2nd line role when needed. Was also very good on the PK this year. Hope we can find a way to retain him, but that might be impossible if we're looking to re-sign Petro. Not really sure what his value would be in a trade.
Nice try ;)

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Yep. I realize he's not cheap. But that has essentially made him a boat anchpr in most peoples eyes. He's still a great player.
Plus, iirc a solid portion of his contract has already been payed out in bonuses, would be huge for some cap floor teams, especially in our current econmony.

But, Leafs won't be trading him.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This thread was a good idea but not enough attention is being paid the “UFA or available” part of the question.

We don’t need to know all of the players on your team that are underrated, just the ones who are free agents or on the trade block.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Johnsson for me. he's not very highly regarded because he had an injury and a mediocre season, but I think the Leafs would really regret losing him
This is one for me. He didn’t have a great season and some of our fellow Leaf fans throw him into a ton of proposals so his value won’t be high around here.

But I think he will be a guy who can score 20-25 goals and 40-50 points for someone and with our cap crunch and the year he is coming off you could definitely get him for a second and maybe even a high 3rd.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Brodie.

I'm terrified of not resigning him and the team that does is going to think they hit the jackpot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad