Most Surprising and Biggest Let Downs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
That's exactly what I did I know Brook isn't an offensive dman. That one flew over your head though clearly.

If you had said something like 'that is like saying' or absolutely any comparative statement insinuating that you did know that Brook was more than offense - than I would have understood, but you didn't.

The way you framed it - you were just rehashing the argument that you took offense to. You absolutely did not know that, but I love the weird backtrack.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
You obviously haven't watched much of Russia at all without your homer goggles on Romanov?

:dunno:

Podkolzin has been doing nothing but turning heads so far this tourney. He's even getting top pp minutes over some of the older boys which is unheard of on any Russian junior team.

I disagree on Podkolzin. For me, he's on my deceptions so far. I agree only on the first part on the sentence. He has somes flashes for sure but always leading to nothing. I thought he would be a way more dominant even if he's an underager. In the same category, he did more mistakes than Lafreniere did

Reactions: greasysnapper

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If you had said something like 'that is like saying' or absolutely any comparative statement insinuating that you did know that Brook was more than offense - than I would have understood, but you didn't.

The way you framed it - you were just rehashing the argument that you took offense to. You absolutely did not know that, but I love the weird backtrack.

Sure bud if you say so.

Btw I see the leafs taught Tim Hunter everything they know about winning.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Tolvanen has had an underwhelming tournament, but it's inaccurate to say he was expected to be a difference maker in Nashville this year. Heck, we didn't even know if he would go back to Jokerit when the season started, and if he stayed he was expected to be developing in Milwaukee. It's long past the point where we realized his KHL performance was just a hot streak and he's really the guy from draft day who needs a few years to develop.

The unfortunate part of the WJC is that Tolvanen had been playing a lot better in Milwaukee and had a call-up to the Preds where he got a couple of points, so we were hoping he'd go tear up the worlds and boost his confidence even further, instead we got this...

I think it was a good performance by him today.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its quite clear that Romanov has been Russia's MVP along with Alexeyev so far. Personally, i expected Kravtsov to be much better on 5 on 5 hockey, coming from the KHL as one of the most experienced players and better ones at the tourny .

Kravtsov isn't a center. He's playing tentative once Russia gains the zone because he's trying to make sure he's able to get back defensively. The center ice position requires more of a defensive effort than the wing position.

Having 5 points in 4 games isn't all that bad. He's been the best Russian player or close to it. He's only struggling if you expected him to dominate.

Reactions: Big Ben Healy

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Kravtsov isn't a center. He's playing tentative once Russia gains the zone because he's trying to make sure he's able to get back defensively. The center ice position requires more of a defensive effort than the wing position.

Having 5 points in 4 games isn't all that bad. He's been the best Russian player or close to it. He's only struggling if you expected him to dominate.
I didnt say he was a center. Hello?

I Just expected way more from him on 5 on 5 play esp vs the good teams. Just my opinion.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Think so?

If he's such a "can't miss" prospect, I doubt his NHL team would let him attend. :dunno:

I believe the "insiders" have mentioned something to the effect that Jack Hughes may not make the NHL as an 18 years old due to his lack of size. Most scouts apparently suggest he may still go #1 but be held back a year to further develop himself before being brought into the big league. So maybe he'll get a 2nd shot at the WJC.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Nope, im confident in my answer, he has one point in 4 games, he did well in the U18 tourney but not in the u20, thats what this post is about. only their performance in this tourney

His performance is fine. He's killing penalties for Russia right now and getting regular shifts at 17, which is rare with Russia.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
People who expect 17-year olds to dominate an U20 tournament don't know much about how difficult this tournament is.

Elias Pettersson couldn't even dominate this tournament last year, at 19.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
People who expect 17-year olds to dominate an U20 tournament don't know much about how difficult this tournament is.

Elias Pettersson couldn't even dominate this tournament last year, at 19.
where did I say I expected him too dominate? he didnt look great, he looked out of place and absentminded not too mention not scoring once in the tourney. this was the first major showing for him to show the world that he is a bonafide top 3 pick and he didnt really come up too the plate

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
where did I say I expected him too dominate? he didnt look great, he looked out of place and absentminded not too mention not scoring once in the tourney.

Podkolzin has looked great. Aggressive, creative, hard working. Everyone except you knows it.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
People make too much of short tournaments. So much has to do with systems, line mates, deployment, and with small sample sizes it is crazy to jump to conclusions, esp. with the underage players. Elias Pettersson never impressed at the WJC.

All that said, I expected more from the top Czech and Finn forwards and the Canadian defense. Obviously most surprised by Switzerland - I'll mention Berni since I think he's got less recognition than he deserves.

DiPietro impressed me too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zack Kelly

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Podkolzin has looked great. Aggressive, creative, hard working. Everyone except you knows it.
He's been good. The potential is evident but he hasn't been terribly effective in the games I've seen (Canada, Swiss, Czech)

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Nope, im confident in my answer, he has one point in 4 games, he did well in the U18 tourney but not in the u20, thats what this post is about. only their performance in this tourney

He hasn't dominated at 17 in a U20 tourny. That's all that can be inferred. Kuznetsov for example only had 2 points in his 17 year old year. And remember Pod still has 1, possibly 2 more games to impress and perform.

The bigger tournament for him will be against his peers in Sweden in mid April for the u18's. If he looks bad there, ya, I'd have questions too.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
(Podkolzin) yes, you can make something sound self-contradictory when you chop it up and present it out of context, congrats.
He's been good for his age, showing potential, but not particularly effective - not influencing games significantly.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Bouchard and Dobson were both absolute trash the whole tourney. Dobson was slightly worse because of some boneheaded turnovers.

I would agree with Bouchard but not Dobson. He played extremely well in the Russia and Finland games.

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
The thing that stands out to me with Podkolzin is that he plays a smart game. He doesn't dominate, but he will usually do something positive each shift, like win a board battle or make a really good pass. You can always use more of that on a team. I suspect that if you put him with another top player like Kravtsov, he would be even better because he wouldn't have the preasure of driving the line.

The fact that he's kills penalties is a testament to his maturity for his age. He will be just fine, even if the ceiling is not as high as Taresenko or Kucherov I think he will be a quality player, much less chance of him busting than a one dimensional guy like a Yakupov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad