Status
Not open for further replies.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Garfield said:
:handclap:

Just like there's a reason why 24 teams passed on Schremp. Also, Parise was in a much, much, much deeper draft year than Schremp. Robbie would have went 2nd round in 2003.

Where in my post did I say anything about Schremp? Are you sure you replied to the proper post? :dunno:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
windowlicker said:
Where in my post did I say anything about Schremp? Are you sure you replied to the proper post? :dunno:

No, I quoted the proper person but I wasn't arguing with you. I was using your post as an example to another Oilers fan (or anyone that thinks Schremp was a steal). That's why I gave you the "clapping guy".

Sorry for the confusion.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Telperiën said:
Crosby.

No, I haven't seen him play (unless you count those five minutes on Sportsnet) and I don't care. Sometimes I wish he would just flop so I could have a laugh at all of this in a few years.

Lol ya i dont like Crosby and ya i do wish he'd flop sometimes too, but he is a really talented player, will most likely put up some monster numbers in the NHL.

I think some overrated prospects are
Mikko Koivu - he was drafted 6th but i doubt he will even be a regular in the NHL
Carlo Colaicovo
Boris Valabik

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Garp said:
I want to here you on this one,

but don't turn this into a bashing thread!!!! :(

My takes : Non-Habs (since I'm an hab fan) : Parisé
Hab : Marcel Hossa

I think what you are looking for is the most over hyped prospect. If they haven't made the NHL yet, then how can they be over-rated? If I say Parise will need some time to get his bearings in the league, and then he will be a consistant 65-75 point guy, and he ends being a third liner, that is over rated. But you have to give him that chance to prove himself before shooting him down.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Garfield said:
:handclap:

Just like there's a reason why 24 teams passed on Schremp. Also, Parise was in a much, much, much deeper draft year than Schremp. Robbie would have went 2nd round in 2003.

I disagree! I think that the main reason Schremp was overlooked had more to do with his off ice situation. He demanded a trade out of Mississauga, that never looks good on a prospect, least of all in his draft year. Had he been in the 2003 draft, he never would have requested that trade, and possibly teams would have judged him on his skill level, and not on his so called bad attitude. I think Schremp is no different than Roenick or Tkachuk or Primeau, when they were 17-18 and just drafted. They were all cocky, had some chip on their shoulder and thought they were better than most everyone else out there. If Schremp can grow as a person and buy into the team mentality in Edmonton, I think he will be a dominant player in the league one day. He has Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith to show him the way. He will be just fine, and he will make those 23 other teams eat some serious crow.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Puckhead said:
I disagree! I think that the main reason Schremp was overlooked had more to do with his off ice situation. He demanded a trade out of Mississauga, that never looks good on a prospect, least of all in his draft year. Had he been in the 2003 draft, he never would have requested that trade, and possibly teams would have judged him on his skill level, and not on his so called bad attitude. I think Schremp is no different than Roenick or Tkachuk or Primeau, when they were 17-18 and just drafted. They were all cocky, had some chip on their shoulder and thought they were better than most everyone else out there. If Schremp can grow as a person and buy into the team mentality in Edmonton, I think he will be a dominant player in the league one day. He has Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith to show him the way. He will be just fine, and he will make those 23 other teams eat some serious crow.
Agreed and while schremp fell due to some atitude(IMO just cockyness, big deal) that may or may not exist, Parise fell because of his small size. Two totally different situations.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Puckhead said:

Somehow I doubt he will ever make Washington or Pittsburgh "eat some serious crow" regardless of how well he does.

As for this topic, most of the guys I would have said have already been mentioned: Parise, Phaneuf, Schremp, Kostitsyn, Locke.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Kostitsyn

People who think Parise is overrated are in for a big surprise come next season.

Why did he drop to 17th? I have no idea. I'm damn glad he did though. Parise has never failed to produce at any level. I can't wait to try him out in NJ.

Btw, on an interesting note (if your thinking about NCAA prospects in general). Scott Clemmenson recently remarked that the NCAA was much more physical than the NHL. Parise may succeed even moreso in the NHL.

http://www.newjerseydevils.com/2004/html/fanzone/20transcipts/clemmensen_tr.php

ErnestoGuevara

Jan 22, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Most guys have been mentioned but my vote for the most over-hyped prospect goes to Mikko Koivu. Robert Nilsson is also overrated.

I think Brent Burns, just because he made the NHL his first year, is now seen as a better prospect and people overate his potential and potential ceiling, the same could be said about Patrice Bergeron.

Sometimes I think Vanek is overrated jsut becasue everybody wants to see an Austrian have a lot of sucsess in the NHL.

Ovechkin, although he was by far the best of his draft class, is also overrated but it's like that for every first overall pick.

db23

The most outlandish thing I've heard said about Corey Locke is that he might actually be able to play in the NHL. He was a fourth round pick and is still waiting for a contract offer, so it is hard to see how he has been "overrated". :dunno:

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't understand you guys

This post is about _Over rated players_

How is any of - Locke, Hainsey, Hossa Over rated? When was the last time any of you heard anyone say anything about any of them becoming superstars? with Locke everyone thinks he will be lucky to (ever) crack the NHL line up...Overrated? what?. Hainsey and Hossa's Hype has been on a constant decline for the entire year and now some of you are claiming they are over rated? Again i say...What?

Kostsitsyn, Is probably the only hab prospect that could possibly fit into the Overrated seat. Most of us have high expectations of him that he likely will not be able rise to...but heres to hoping!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Burns? Most people think he was a waste of a pick and too much of a gamble, plus they don't think of him as more than a 3rd line/4th line shift player. To me, he is underrated and the Wild are really, really excited to see what he adds to a pretty uh paper thin defense corp.

Koivu I can understand but not a lot of people talk about the Wild prospects with the words, superstars, good, or even I would like to trade for one :D

ErnestoGuevara

Jan 22, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Burns? Most people think he was a waste of a pick and too much of a gamble, plus they don't think of him as more than a 3rd line/4th line shift player. To me, he is underrated and the Wild are really, really excited to see what he adds to a pretty uh paper thin defense corp.

Koivu I can understand but not a lot of people talk about the Wild prospects with the words, superstars, good, or even I would like to trade for one :D

I actualy think that Burns was a pretty good pick for Minnesota and all I'm saying is that he is now overhyped (not that he was in his draft year) because he made the NHL at such a young age. I don't have any doubts he'll play at least a few season in the NHL as a third or fourth liner or a #5,6 dman (Lemaire's trying to turn him into a dman) but I've seen some people say (not just Wild fans) that he will almost certainly more than that. Only because he was to play on a 4th line at this young age, people think he can just develop a little bit each year and in 4 years be a first liner, of course that's not how it works and that's why I said people overrate his ceiling if they think he'll be more than a third line two-way physical player (which is still very good).

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I actually find it funny that Kosts has been considered to be overrated, when virtually nobody has never seen him play before, myself included. He was considered a steal on draft day due to his medical problems. I know at the time that many Habs fans wanted Parise when we took Kosts. I think he's the real deal, and only time will tell. Cheers. :)

ErnestoGuevara

Jan 22, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
loadie said:
I actually find it funny that Kosts has been considered to be overrated, when virtually nobody has never seen him play before, myself included. He was considered a steal on draft day due to his medical problems. I know at the time that many Habs fans wanted Parise when we took Kosts. I think he's the real deal, and only time will tell. Cheers. :)

I think Parise is overrated by the scouts while Kostitsyn is overrated by the fans.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
There might've been a reason why 16 teams passed on Parise, but he's had a year to upgrade his status. Schremp, however, has not.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Burns will turn into a top 6 defenseman (if you watched or listen to a game), if not a top 4 defenseman. No one but Vlad is really voaching for the guy to do anything in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad