Most Memorable And Most Disappointing 1st Round Memory

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
After tonight's historic loss by the lightning and the jackets winning their first ever playoff series got me to thinking.

What is your most memorable and most disappointing first playoff round for you?

Me most disappointing was the 94 series loss the wings had against the sharks.

Memorable would be the 96 Oilers win against the stars and Joseph's save.

So what do you have?

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Loss: 2012 top team Canucks getting smoked by the 8th seeded Kings (well they did win the cup so we lost to the best I guess). Hm: Losing to the Sharks in 2013/losses against the Hawks before those years.

Win: 2011 Canucks first rd win against Chicago in OT

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
As a Rangers fan, most memorable 1st round memory in recent history has to be 2008. The Avery Rule.

Most disappointing, probably 2009 when we blew a 3-1 series lead vs the caps

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
maxresdefault.jpg

Most memorable? Maybe when Lalime shit the bed in 2004 against the leafs

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Most memorable? Maybe the 2010-11 comeback vs Pens. I remember being down 3-1 and knowing that they were gonna lose only to be pleasantly surprised.

Most disappointing first round? Hmmm can't put my finger on it.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Most disappointing was losing to the Red Wings in 1996, as it would be 15 years before we would see NHL hockey in Winnipeg again. I just remember the empty feeling at the end of game 6.

Most memorable would be Montreal beating Boston as the 8th seed, with Richard Zednik. Koivu coming back from cancer.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Good- 1975- Isles knocking out Rags on Parise OT Goal. This really started the franchise on its way.

Bad- 1994- Rags dismantle Isles in a sweep on way to their cup win.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
As a relatively new fan.

Vancouver loosing in 2011, it irks me that the country I live in Can't win a cup.

And the best was watching Winnipeg perform so well last year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Most memorable: Winning against Buffalo in 2007 to reach the Stanley Cup finals for the first time. Vindication for Alfredsson, who scores the GWG in double OT after his miscue on the point in 2006 against Buffalo (Pominville) sent them out of the playoffs that year. Interestingly, Pominville was also on the ice for Alfie's goal.

Most painful: Losing the ECFs in Game 7 with 2 minutes left against New Jersey in 2003 after coming back down 3-1 in the series.

One of the most memorable series not involving my team was that bizarre Philadelphia-Pittsburgh series a few years back where both goalies were sieves and the goals just kept piling up.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize it was first round.

In that case:

Best: Probably beating Montreal in 5 back in 2013. Line brawls, overtime winners, this series had everything.

Worst: Getting swept by the Leafs in 2001. Ottawa couldn't get anything going and Toronto had that valuable playoff experience among their veterans.

Last edited:

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
Was the LAK/SJS reverse sweep in the first round? That’s the only series I remember from the past several years that stood out to me.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I grew up playing hockey and NHL games but never really watched or supported a NHL team until the 2007 playoffs. I remember watching all of game 1 Canucks vs Stars, which went to 4th OT and the Canucks ended up winning. I was around 11/12 years old and the game went on for so long but it was so intense the whole time and I ended up watching the whole series and every other series since then. That is definitely my most memorable first round and vs. Chicago in 2011 is second.

Most disappointing would be the 2012 loss against the Kings. Kings were obviously a great team as they ended up winning the cup but the Canucks had just won their second consecutive presidents trophy and lost in the finals the previous year, so expectations were high.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Capitals:

Most disappointing 1st round: obviously 2010 getting Halak'ed by Montreal

Most memorable 1st round: 2009 first playoff series win for Washington in the Ovie era

Tied 1-1 in Game 7 against the Rangers in the 3rd period and old man Sergei Fedorov fires a rocket for the series winning goal.

Fedorov's last goal in the NHL

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The most memorable 1st round series for me that didn't involve the Caps was 2011 Van/Chi, either Schneider or Luongo got hurt on a breakaway and the other had to come in for the penalty shot and the rest of the game, was 3-0 and the series went 7, just a wild series.

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
Most memorable: 2009 - Coming back from down 3-1 in the series to the Rangers culminating with Fedorov blowing the roof off of the Verizon Center with a late Game 7 goal to take the lead.

Most disappointing: 2010 - Summed up in one word . . . Halak.

Reactions: tenken00

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes