Most likely to least likely team to reach the finals in the Eastern Conference? Rank them

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Remember when Boston played Florida in the 2023 playoffs and everyone said Florida had no shot? Yeah, that worked out well for a team who had one of the greatest regular seasons in NHL history. Then you have the 2018-19 season when the Tampa Bay Lightning won it and played the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round.

Not sure Florida is the best comparable.

Florida won president's trophy 2 years ago - last year they just had a shit regular season, but it was still a top team who just couldn't be consistent in the regular season. I don't think they were your usual 8th seed.

Neither NYI/Washington are exactly president's trophy material. Columbus in 2019 is the better comparable.

Regarding NYI specifically - they have had a lot of playoff success in recent years with that core. I think you mostly lean on that.

Reactions: IronCladCane

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Not sure Florida is the best comparable.

Florida won president's trophy 2 years ago - last year they just had a shit regular season, but it was still a top team who just couldn't be consistent in the regular season. I don't think they were your usual 8th seed.

Neither NYI/Washington are exactly president's trophy material. Columbus in 2019 is the better comparable.

Regarding NYI specifically - they have had a lot of playoff success in recent years with that core. I think you mostly lean on that.
It’s more so the complete write off of these teams when in recent years we’ve had teams who are 8 seeds go on runs compared to the Presidents Trophy winner.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Hey what's what you play for in the season, ranking high so you get the easier matchups. It doesn't always work out with playoff matchups, but if it did this time, good for them, they deserve it.

Of course - those mega underdogs/nothing to lose are often quite dangerous too...

Remember when Boston played Florida in the 2023 playoffs and everyone said Florida had no shot? Yeah, that worked out well for a team who had one of the greatest regular seasons in NHL history. Then you have the 2018-19 season when the Tampa Bay Lightning won it and played the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round.

I remember how much resistance the '94 Islanders gave the Rags in round 1. Feels like that kind of year. Gulf between the top 6 and the rest of the conference.

Please factor in that I may be trying to emulate Francesa in this particular scenario especially with the Washington series.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I remember how much resistance the '94 Islanders gave the Rags in round 1. Feels like that kind of year. Gulf between the top 6 and the rest of the conference.

Please factor in that I may be trying to emulate Francesa in this particular scenario especially with the Washington series.
All I have to say is that Michael Dowd being excited for the 94 cup win is enough of a reason as an Islanders fan and first responder to never want to see them win again. Honestly, the best thing for the league would be an Isles-Rangers 2nd round with the narratives this year. Both teams would be in Bellevue/NUMC by game 7 but it would be insane for the NHL.

Reactions: wintersej

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
I think the finals will be a rematch of Hurricanes v Panthers...
This seasons Canes have a lot more goal scoring though..

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

The playoffs are a bad time to experience your team’s first moments of adversity.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Tiers:

Fla (Better roster than what they had last year, especially the defense. But can individuals get as hot as they did last year, Especially Bobrovsky?)
Car (Will be the best version of this core so far. Last year made the conf. Finals with terrible forward group Because of all injuries.)

Nyr - (Very mid advanced stats but Shesterkin,Fox, Panarin is great mix)
Leafs - (Goalies and depth are big questions, also star performance..)
TBL - (Bad D- cold Vasi and Hed - elite on powerplay -Kuch and Point could carry)

Boston (No centers. Worse team than their regular season indicates.)

NYI (let's see where 0-0 games get them this time.. Or not cuz I'm not watching zZZ )

CapZ (Make-a-wish kid. Their 1st line plays under 40% hockey.)

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI

All I have to say is that Michael Dowd being excited for the 94 cup win is enough of a reason as an Islanders fan and first responder to never want to see them win again. Honestly, the best thing for the league would be an Isles-Rangers 2nd round with the narratives this year. Both teams would be in Bellevue/NUMC by game 7 but it would be insane for the NHL.
dude my demons of 94 have been silent for 30 years, i do not want them to awaken again, especially being married to a rags fan....

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
1. Carolina - Think they've been in their own tier since acquiring Guentzel and the Panthers slipping since the trade deadline
2. Florida
3. Rangers
4. Leafs
5. Bruins
6. Tampa Bay
7. Islanders
8. Whoever makes it
Swap Bruins and Leafs and then swap Rangers with Panthers and I think you've nailed it

BoJet

May 2, 2016
Germany
Final tally (average out of 0-7 points):

Carolina 5.8
Florida 5.6
NY Rangers 4.7
Tampa 4.3
Boston 3.4
Toronto 2.4
NY Islanders 1.5
Washington 0.3