Most Impressive 1996 Born Rookies/Players

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013/04/sunday-top-10-most-impressive-1996-born.html

One of the many annual traditions I have on this blog is to rank the new batch of OHL rookies in order of the impression they left on me. Only the "true" OHL rookies have been included, thus why it's labeled the "Most Impressive 1996 born players." However, with the whole exceptional status thing, this means that Aaron Ekblad is going to be included in this group (because he was born in 1996), because I did not include him in last year's 1995 list.

Be interested to hear your thoughts and discuss some of the league's top new faces this year.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
However, with the whole exceptional status thing, this means that Aaron Ekblad is going to be included in this group (because he was born in 1996), because I did not include him in last year's 1995 list.

Although you didn't include him last year, AE5 was the most impressive rookie, so with a year of development it's not surprising that he tops the list against his birth year cohort. You mention the step he took forward in this year's playoffs. Interestingly, I think he really started to take off in last year's playoffs when they had him playing 30+ minutes a night of great hockey. The Colts have incredible confidence in this young man, and deservedly so.

You're absolutely right, the sky is the limit. I can't wait to see what he does next year. He's already the Chara of the OHL...if he grows lookout...

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Surprised the likes of Robby Fabbri, Brendan Perlini, and Jaden Lindo didn't get honorable mentions.

bidzey*

Surprised the likes of Robby Fabbri, Brendan Perlini, and Jaden Lindo didn't get honorable mentions.

Lindo started strong, and he as nothing to be ashamed of by a long shot but I agree with Brock not making top 10.

It's too bad Middleton was traded because had he stayed with Owen Sound he probably would've been out of the "honorable mention" list onto the top 10 list. Another asset that he has that not too many people are aware about is his re-enforcing capabilities. Not someone you want to fight unless you know what you're doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Solid list Brock, just makes me all the more disapointed with the top 3 picks the wolves got in the 96 draft.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Solid list Brock, just makes me all the more disapointed with the top 3 picks the wolves got in the 96 draft.

Well Cummins still looks like a solid selection to me. He's not the type of guy who's going to crack a list like this, but I think he's got potential. Liked how simple he kept things in the defensive end and is already a pretty solid positional guy. Will get better as he gets stronger and more willing to engage physically.

Vilardi, who knows at this point. And Burgess, well we won't go there.

It's tough when you don't have a 2nd rounder though. There weren't really any 3rd rounders who made much of an impact in the league this year.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Well Cummins still looks like a solid selection to me. He's not the type of guy who's going to crack a list like this, but I think he's got potential. Liked how simple he kept things in the defensive end and is already a pretty solid positional guy. Will get better as he gets stronger and more willing to engage physically.

It's tough when you don't have a 2nd rounder though. There weren't really any 3rd rounders who made much of an impact in the league this year.

Not sure if you caught Cummins much in the second half but he definitely got worse as the year went on. His skating is well below average and his hockey sense is just non existent. Taking Cummins over Di Perna was a huge mistake, which many pointed out on draft day.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012

Brock what did you think of Cornel this season?

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Not sure if you caught Cummins much in the second half but he definitely got worse as the year went on. His skating is well below average and his hockey sense is just non existent. Taking Cummins over Di Perna was a huge mistake, which many pointed out on draft day.

I've never seen Cummins play but I think DiPerna is going to be a beast next year. He seemed like he got bigger every time I saw him,great skater and shot,active stick good puck mover.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA

I actually caught Sudbury a lot in the second half of the season. Cummins didn't play a ton in those games, but I thought he showed potential as a stay at home defenseman. I did notice the skating issues though. But I wouldn't write him off yet. It's pretty rare for 16 year old defenseman to stand out in the league (in a good way). Would I have taken Cummins in that spot? No. But I think he can still become a very serviceable and longtime OHL player.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Brock what did you think of Cornel this season?

I thought he got better as the season went on, but was still largely overmatched in the league this year. Just not strong enough to fight through checks on a consistent basis. Next year will be the big one for him. He's always been a "projection" pick. I think Peterborough anticipated him being someone they'd have to be patient with. A solid offseason of conditioning could make a huge difference.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
As a Dogs fan, while I think Hughes deserves the HM, I don't think he deserves it over Perlini. Not even close. But that's my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad