Most Goalies Used in NHL This Season

The Zombonis

Mar 27, 2012
Illinois
While only Allen and Elliott have started games, the Blues have used the most goalies so far this season, with five (Binnington, Copley and Nillson each playing one game in relief).

Recall during one of the down seasons that the Blues used seven or eight goalies!

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
While only Allen and Elliott have started games, the Blues have used the most goalies so far this season, with five (Binnington, Copley and Nillson each playing one game in relief).

Recall during one of the down seasons that the Blues used seven or eight goalies!

But really they only used 2 goalies. The team didn't have enough confidence in Binnington, Copley or Nilsson who they traded for to give them even one start, when Allen was clearly not at 100% and Elliott was out injured.

Big kudos to Allen and Elliott both for shouldering the burden of consecutive games, and heavy work-loads during times when they should have been working back from injury more slowly.

I guess the Nilsson move was purely an emergency back-up plan. They didn't pay much of anything for him, so no harm done. But now what do you do with him?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Nothing will ever top that infamous season 10 or 11 years ago when legends were born in the form of Marek Schwarz, Christian Beckford-Tseu, Jason Bacashihua, and many others

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
But really they only used 2 goalies. The team didn't have enough confidence in Binnington, Copley or Nilsson who they traded for to give them even one start, when Allen was clearly not at 100% and Elliott was out injured.

Big kudos to Allen and Elliott both for shouldering the burden of consecutive games, and heavy work-loads during times when they should have been working back from injury more slowly.

I guess the Nilsson move was purely an emergency back-up plan. They didn't pay much of anything for him, so no harm done. But now what do you do with him?

I think the Nilsson move was purely to have someone (anyone) in case Allen couldn't play due to injury. Rosters have expanded, so he can just continue practicing with the team for the rest of the year. He's an RFA at the end of the year, but I doubt he gets qualified. Maybe we move Ells and keep him as a backup. Hopefully we keep Ells and just let Nilsson move on.

At the end of the day, we paid a 5th round pick and our 6th best goalie for insurance against a worst case scenario in net down the stretch. I think it was worth it, because it really, really would have sucked watching the division slip away with both goalies on the shelf.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He'll be an RFA, you think someone will try and sign him to an offer sheet?

I assume he heads back over to play in Europe, and the Blues let that happen.

He would only be an RFA if the Blues qualify him. To do that, we would have to offer him a 1 year, $1 mil contract, which seems pretty unlikely. He would almost certainly accept the qualifying offer and it would make no sense for us to offer it.

It is extremely unlikely that he actually becomes an RFA. It is way more likely that he becomes a UFA after we fail to qualify him or that he accepts a qualifying offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad