GDT: Most Extreme Hockey Challenge - 7:00 PM - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Starting to think Haula’s other contributions don’t outweigh the miscues. Wanted him back next season but not so sure now.

Then might I suggest an Intro to Hockey course? Devils basically shut.down Crosby, Malkin and the rest.of the Penguin scorers. That had a lot.more.to do with guys like Haula, McLeod, Brendan Smith, Mercer and some of the other frequent scapegoats.in here than with.the Jesper Bratts and Dougies.

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Dougies got 30 points in 36 games, is on pace for the most goals he’s ever scored, and has actually scored above his season average since the rough streak started.

Not really sure what else anybody could want from him. Getting the real Dougie has been the second most important thing in our transformation, barely behind getting tolerable goaltending.

The position is called "defenseman". His numbers are great if you are playing fantasy hockey. At $9 million per he shouldn't be a liability. He should be the guy playing 30 minutes not Damon.

Also, Jesus Christ severson spent 12 minutes on the ice SH

What a moronic f***ing game

They don't really trust the two rookies on the PK and Dougie is an adventure in his own end.

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
pretty sure lindy hates severson 😂 the dude just played 30 freaking minutes and when lindy was asked how he thought sevo was tonight he responded with "If he's playing 30, it's probably cuz he's not breaking out well". just very odd timing to say something like that

Heard the same comments and thought he was referring to the rest of the defensive group with the " executing well" comment.

Something else that I read into during his comments was the predictably part. That seemed to refer to Hamilton and if anyone's watched the WJC that is something the announcers have mentioned about Luke Hughes - his creativity can be unpredictable at times.

Could definitely be a point of contention at times if Lindy is still here when Luke arrives.

At a prospects tournament a few years ago I was talking to a long-time college coach about this. I asked him if when they.were.evaluating defensemen and they saw a player who was skilled but tries high risk plays is he someone you would recruit figuring you could refine the rough spots. I was surprised because he said they would rather recruit defenders who already knew when to take chances and when to make safe plays.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
what a weird game. it’s hard to take anything bigger from it as far as their momentum and breaking out of this funk but i’ll take it.

just wish our secondary scoring could help out and not have it all be hughes hamilton and hischier but 2 points is 2 points, woo

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i didn't watch the game so cant comment but gutsy divisional road win when trailing is always clutch. have to get this next one for sure hopefully kids are learning

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

CamarilloBrillo

Dec 7, 2021
A bit off topic, and apologies if this has been done before, but I can't be the only one who pictures this when they see Nemec right?

1.png
2.png

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Rewatched the game and feel while we could have been better at getting puck out and passes a bit more on point...Not a perfect game but I think we totally outplayed them all around and Vtek was solid against them and our guys who at times seemed like they wanted to score on him....Refs were brutal no doubt....To be down a whole top pair of dmen and give 9 pp opps they really stepped up as a team....

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
The position is called "defenseman". His numbers are great if you are playing fantasy hockey. At $9 million per he shouldn't be a liability. He should be the guy playing 30 minutes not Damon.

They don't really trust the two rookies on the PK and Dougie is an adventure in his own end.
Dougie is not a liability. He’s not perfect, because he’s not Makar or whatever and he makes the occasional mistake like every defenseman in the league, but he is a net positive at preventing pucks from going in our net. True defensive liabilities don’t run numbers like he does, sorry.

And it’s a lot easier to find a dude to PK than it is to find a dude to dominate every other game state, so who cares at ALL about pk time when talking about him.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Then might I suggest an Intro to Hockey course? Devils basically shut.down Crosby, Malkin and the rest.of the Penguin scorers. That had a lot.more.to do with guys like Haula, McLeod, Brendan Smith, Mercer and some of the other frequent scapegoats.in here than with.the Jesper Bratts and Dougies.
does that intro to hockey course cover taking stupid double minor offensive zone penalties? clipping goalies to disallow goals? throwing your stick at other players?

haula was just kind of there when we were winning, which i was fine with. now, along with being a black hole of goal scoring, he’s actually a liability.

we need palat back asap to get this clown back where he belongs.

Camille the Eel

No wonder Mercer is so even keel, chill!

His dad is totally easy going, even as a hype-mastah!!

:laugh::laugh:
got to love this. It also gives an insight into how young a team we have. Look at the kids in that room. Babies practically half of them.

Let me also (switching topics) say how good a game Ruff coached last night. He's quite without equal among NHL coaches now (or has few equals) in his in-game coaching decisions. Tough strange game with the unpredicted power plays, more than half the game played special teams one way or the other. He goes to 4 defensemen basically, rolls three lines, plus pre game elevates Mercer to the first line. All decisions that payed off last night.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
got to love this. It also gives an insight into how young a team we have. Look at the kids in that room. Babies practically half of them.

Let me also (switching topics) say how good a game Ruff coached last night. He's quite without equal among NHL coaches now (or has few equals) in his in-game coaching decisions. Tough strange game with the unpredicted power plays, more than half the game played special teams one way or the other. He goes to 4 defensemen basically, rolls three lines, plus pre game elevates Mercer to the first line. All decisions that payed off last night.

Ruff did do a good job running the bench but someone's got to sit him down and make him watch goalie interference challenges. That call was absolutely never coming back, and it could've really cost the team.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Ruff did do a good job running the bench but someone's got to sit him down and make him watch goalie interference challenges. That call was absolutely never coming back, and it could've really cost the team.

They almost feel like frustration challenges. Like, the goal never should have been waived off to begin with as the contact was minimal and did not prevent Jarry from playing his position.

But as others have pointed out, once the call is made, they will not reverse it if there is any contact at all inside the crease.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Dougie is not a liability. He’s not perfect, because he’s not Makar or whatever and he makes the occasional mistake like every defenseman in the league, but he is a net positive at preventing pucks from going in our net. True defensive liabilities don’t run numbers like he does, sorry.

And it’s a lot easier to find a dude to PK than it is to find a dude to dominate every other game state, so who cares at ALL about pk time when talking about him.
You also want a guy as good offensively as Dougie to play five on five and power play and not have to load him up with PK minutes as well. He can obviously play PK but they'd rather use Severson, Graves, Siegs and Brendan Smith cause none of them are as important offensively and they've been solid for the most part on the PK too (not to mention Marino when he was healthy). Dougie still leads the team in icetime, it's not like he's getting Gelinas treatment.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
does that intro to hockey course cover taking stupid double minor offensive zone penalties? clipping goalies to disallow goals? throwing your stick at other players?

haula was just kind of there when we were winning, which i was fine with. now, along with being a black hole of goal scoring, he’s actually a liability.

we need palat back asap to get this clown back where he belongs.
At this point I'm paranoid it'd be the other winger they boot off Hughes' line to make room for Palat and still handcuff Haula to Hughes and Palat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad