Line Combos: Morning line rushes March 21:st

Alternate Jersey

Jul 8, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
Well it can't get any worse can it.

Pearson is hard working, Toffoli is smart. I think they'd do fine.

Hey even if it doesn't last, putting Richards on the fourth line for more than ten minutes is a message, even if it's practice too.

exactly my point! :)

True, but it does give Pearson and Toffoli an opportunity that if they grab it and find some chemistry with Carter, they could stick there for a bit.

As Herby pointed out, I don't think Richards is a player that Sutter sends out any more to protect a 1-goal lead late in a game. That task falls to guys like Kopitar and Stoll now.

that's very true, and i definitely think that they deserve it. carter has traditionally played wing, though, right? what's the outlook on him changing over to C? i seem to remember hearing that he much prefers playing wing, and that he had been slotted at C occasionally prior to coming to LA and it didn't work out all that well.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
As much as i like the new look lines posted above this is Sutter we re talking about whos lines last a couple periods at best. Lets face it he will never settle on a lineup and stick to it for more then a game or so. This is just the latest blinder outcome. Stay tuned for more lineup shuffling period to period.

I agree with you, but I think it's fair to question why certain players who have struggled mightily together are consistently sent out there. We are not talking about Getzlaf/Perry on the Kings.

If you want to see why coaches can never win, this is why. Every fan can see something different.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I agree with you, but I think it's fair to question why certain players who have struggled mightily together are consistently sent out there. We are not talking about Getzlaf/Perry on the Kings.

I think Martinez deserves a look with Doughty at this point, he has earned it with his strong all around play the past few weeks, yet Sutter sticks with Muzzin (who I still do like) despite all his struggles.

Same thing with Carter and Richards, so many acted like the second they went back together it would be magic on ice, when in reality it has not been this season.

Sometime there just aren't better options or the coaches are hoping players just work through whatever is preventing them from playing better. With Richards and Carter we know there is chemistry but the problem has always been on the left side. Basically Richards has only one option all season, then Sutter played wheel -o- winger with him and nothing worked and went back. I'm really surprised Brown has never been used with Carter and Richards.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
exactly my point! :)

that's very true, and i definitely think that they deserve it. carter has traditionally played wing, though, right? what's the outlook on him changing over to C? i seem to remember hearing that he much prefers playing wing, and that he had been slotted at C occasionally prior to coming to LA and it didn't work out all that well.

I actually think it's the other way around. He played at C for most of his career before joining the Kings and didn't perform as well at wing in Philly. Feel free correct me if I'm wrong.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If you want to see why coaches can never win, this is why. Every fan can see something different.

I am not a Sutter critic. I have said on numerous occasions he has had a coach of the year caliber season for having the Kings in this position despite getting zilch from two of his former top six players and having a huge hole on left wing for almost the entire season. For the Kings to do be doing this well with essentially two top six forwards most of the season is amazing.

But I don't understand why it took so long for those two players to find themselves on the bottom lines in favor of some younger players. Brown's offense has been non-existent and Richards has been sleepwalking for months. I just don't like the message it sends when certain players are given free passes and others aren't. Perhaps I am wrong though, maybe Sutter just didn't have the right guys to do it at the time, maybe he is more content to roll with Toffoli and Pearson in top 6 roles than he was a few weeks ago, but I still would have done something before the break, even if it was for a game or two to try and send a message.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I am not a Sutter critic. I have said on numerous occasions he has had a coach of the year caliber season for having the Kings in this position despite getting zilch from two of his former top six players and having a huge hole on left wing for almost the entire season. For the Kings to do be doing this well with essentially two top six forwards most of the season is amazing.

But I don't understand why it took so long for those two players to find themselves on the bottom lines in favor of some younger players. Brown's offense has been non-existent and Richards has been sleepwalking for months. I just don't like the message it sends when certain players are given free passes and others aren't. Perhaps I am wrong though, maybe Sutter just didn't have the right guys to do it at the time, maybe he is more content to roll with Toffoli and Pearson in top 6 roles than he was a few weeks ago, but I still would have done something before the break, even if it was for a game or two to try and send a message.

I'm not saying you're a critic, I'm just saying every fan can see something different in anything a coach does. That's with any fan, and any coach. If some fans see a coach sticking with lines too long for say 20 games, and other fans see the same coach changing lines up all the time in the same 20 games, that just means that as fans we're looking at things through our own particular lenses. Which is fine, because what else can anyone do?

I have to think that most coaches will give veteran players, especially veteran players he's won with, a longer leash than other players. Maybe because they have no other option, maybe because they want them to play their way out of it, maybe they believe in seniority, it could be anything.

I don't think Sutter has missed Brown and Richards struggling this season. He's got a front row seat to it, both during games and practice. Everyone can see it. Why has he given Brown and Richards the benefit of the doubt for as long as he has this year? It would be a great question from someone to ask him.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
with his goal, did richards have a bounce back game?

wasn't JUST that he had a Goal ... he finally played like he cared again :nod: and gave 110% every shift he was on the ice.

I think Jim Fox said it best of Mike Richards during the in-game broadcast ...

"message sent {Sutter} ... message received {Richards} !" :nod:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Richards had a great game and I would keep this entire lineup intact and simply insert Nolan into Brown's spot.

People may complain about Mike (and deservedly so), but I know we all want this type of game out of him every night, and hopefully he'll continue.

Ron*

wasn't JUST that he had a Goal ... he finally played like he cared again :nod: and gave 110% every shift he was on the ice.

I think Jim Fox said it best of Mike Richards during the in-game broadcast ...

"message sent {Sutter} ... message received {Richards} !" :nod:

It's the same point I made the day before the game. Richards got the message. In retrospect, Sutter should have made the move much sooner, but as they say, better late than never.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad