Morgan Rielly cross check to the head of Ridley Greig (DOPS UPDATE: In Person Hearing - 6 games or more possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
The slap shot into the empty net, yes. You cant cross check a guy in the head though. Very simple logic.
I think that was resolved on page 1. I haven't yet seen a Leafs fan, or fan of any team, saying you can check a guy in the head.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Grieg shouldn’t have slap shot into an empty net. However Reilly only had to try to fight him and things would be over with. He made a dumb decision and cross checked him to the head. Should be about 4 games not six imo.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
I think that was resolved on page 1. I haven't yet seen a Leafs fan, or fan of any team, saying you can check a guy in the head.
Cool, so we are all in favor of the maximum appropriate suspension to deter dangerous plays like this in the future. Thanks for agreeing.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
You quoted me…. And squaring up means fighting— not just shoves… you ok there? Take a breather. Sure you can get hurt in a fight but at least it won’t be a blindside stick to the head or cheapshot punch vs the traditional squaring up for a fight which is permissible in the NHL without suspension (just penalties).
My bad dude, I had a couple others responding and got mixed up. Such an active thread lol

Fair enough, but it’s also not that easy to ‘square up’ when someone is skating away from you, let alone do so in the heat of the moment. That’s not what hockey players do. They go at you. If someone lays out your star (diff scenario of course) someone will go after them, and it won’t matter if it’s squared up or not. They gladly take the instigator. That’s hockey.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Honestly, I don't really get the big deal about the slapshot into the empty net. I mean... whatever?

The Leafs are obviously doing better in the standings than Ottawa (well, maybe not in regulation wins...), and are a better team right now. By losing his cool, Reilly has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

I dunno. Slapshot, wrister, floater, whatever. It's all a shot into the net. If you want to avoid giving the opponent empty-net goals, maybe try winning the game...?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Cool, so we are all in favor of the maximum appropriate suspension to deter dangerous plays like this in the future. Thanks for agreeing.
Absof***inglutely.

Just apply it to all 32 NHL teams.

That's all I care about. I don't wanna see 1 game suspensions for Makar. 1 game suspension for Pietrangelo chopping Draisaitl's arm off. A fine for Trouba for swinging a stick at Frederic's head. 1 game for Mangiapane for cross checking McCann in the head on the floor. 5 games for Gallagher absolutely beaming a guy in the head.

And then an 8 game for Rielly because he's wearing the wrong sweater.

That is what I don't want to see.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
You throw a 98 MPH fastball at a head, a teammate is getting one in return.
Maybe but it’s a deterrent in showboating in the first place and guys will pull their teammates up so they’re not the one on the receiving end for their immaturity

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
Absof***inglutely.

That's all I care about. I don't wanna see 1 game suspensions for Makar. 1 game suspension for Pietrangelo chopping Draisaitl's arm off. A fine for Trouba for swinging a stick at Frederic's head. 1 game for Mangiapane for cross checking McCann in the head on the floor. 5 games for Gallagher absolutely beaming a guy in the head.

I cant say for certain, but I am going to assume all of those plays you listed were during play? Rielly attacked a player well after the whistle with clear intent to harm. I will say the circumstances are different.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Absof***inglutely.

In the world of fandom, I have a healthy dislike for the TML so I’m not here to grandstand for or against TML or an Ottawa on this matter because of sweater colour. But I couldn’t agree with you more. DOPS has zero consistency in their handling of supplementary discipline. It’s almost as If the NHL,prefers to have it that way so that they can hand out discipline based on how the wind is blowing And not be bound by precedence or factual consistency. It’s a real blight on a pro league. No one knows the yardsticks.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
You throw a 98 MPH fastball at a head, a teammate is getting one in return.
So then, slap a hockey puck into an empty net to give one in return, don't assault a guy by driving a stick through his head in retaliation to something you didnt like about his behaviour.

If he had been hurt, knocked out, or worse, would we still be defending it. If so, things like what Bertuzzi did years ago would be ok because a guy like Moore "deserved" it for doing something to Naslund, etc..

It is either wrong or it isn't. In this case, like so many others, it is!!

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I mean his own teammate Giroux seemed embarrassed by Greig in the interview and none of his teammates came to defend him but yeah only AHL goons could possibly disagree with the play, sure.
Give me a break. Sports(Leaf)Net was trying to goad him, Giroux is a pro and wouldn't fall for that ploy. He said that his (Ridley) emotions were high then said no comment to follow-up question. No way he was going to say anything to rile up the Leafs media mouthpieces. As for teammates not defending him, linemates Pinto &, Tarasenko got involved. Brady wanted to go on the ice after that but coach wouldn't let him. The comments from the players in the post-game interviews where quite different. They all had smiles on their faces when asked the question. Even official Sens twitter feed put up a trolling video of the goal. Embarassed my foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad