Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Draft Analyst: Rangers prospect Morgan Barron named Hobey Baker Award finalist - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics

I have a feeling that he'll be one of those players to step in from college. Doubt he'll need much time in Hartford. Underrated prospect. Top 5 in Rangers organization, not counting pro hockey players..
We ranked him 11th in our poll, but if you exclude "pro hockey players", the only people ahead of him were Miller and Jones. Which still seems appropriate. I think we have him rated correctly.

I think he has a chance to carve out a role as a big, strong, two-way middle-six player who can play in all situations. I think he more likely settles in as a third line-caliber guy, but we'll see how well his skating translates.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think he can be a true asset as a middle-six/regular third line guy. Which is a need on this team.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He will probably start in Hartford and will have a tough challenge to push someone out of the line up in NY if he wants to stick to the center position
i agree with the first part,
but a typical season sees injuries, and if ready and effective, at some point he will get a shot to play and try to stay

of course at C for NYR next year, a lot revolves around 2 big unknowns - Strome and Lias

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
i agree with the first part,
but a typical season sees injuries, and if ready and effective, at some point he will get a shot to play and try to stay

of course at C for NYR next year, a lot revolves around 2 big unknowns - Strome and Lias

I expect both Lias and Barron to start in Hartford. Whoever plays better will probably be the first call up in case of injuries, assuming Fogarty isn't ahead of them

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't know much about him, any chance he becomes a Stepan level player?
Me neither. I have read lots about him here but I’m still a bit vague on who in the nhl he compares with. Some say he’s a big defensive forward. But I also read he’s a great playmaker. And also that he has a heavy shot. Sounds like maybe a jack-of-all-trades type with good hands. I guess that, like with most, it’ll come down to how hard he works, how fast he can think the game, timing/luck, and ability to stay healthy. But would love to see a scouting report including comparables.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Me neither. I have read lots about him here but I’m still a bit vague on who in the nhl he compares with. Some say he’s a big defensive forward. But I also read he’s a great playmaker. And also that he has a heavy shot. Sounds like maybe a jack-of-all-trades type with good hands. I guess that, like with most, it’ll come down to how hard he works, how fast he can think the game, timing/luck, and ability to stay healthy. But would love to see a scouting report including comparables.
In terms of defensive skill set and offensive upside, I think he compares favorably with Brian Boyle with the very unlikely possibility of becoming a Kevin Hayes type contributor in a top 6.

He has a good NHL shot, above average I would say. He tends to operate on the boards and in the corners as he is the primary playmaker on his team and line, but I think he could be pretty good as a net front presence. He's the trigger-man on the PP and he'd be okay from that spot in the AHL , but isn't quite creative enough really handle it at the NHL level. He has really good vision and is an excellent college playmaker and potentially a solid to good one in the pros. Once a game he would put a pass right to an open spot or on a teammate's stick that they weren't anticipating and I think in the pros, more of those chances get converted. Defensively he's as solid as they get. 1st PK unit, used late in games in tight situations, and one of the best back checkers I've seen in the ECAC in a while. His ability to pick someone's pocket is unbelievable, and he has good enough hands and edges to turn those plays around quickly.

His biggest weakness is obviously his skating. He's not a bad skater but I would say he'd get the label "Good skater for his size" and he is a big man. He's not the quickest in tight spaces, with both his skating/edgework and his hands(Good enough in a more open neutral zone as noted above but not good enough to handle his way out of a corner against high caliber D-men). His game projects very much North-South in the pros. In the past he's had a tendency to loaf a bit, but I think what's changed is he stopped going 100% then 50% and started going 80% all the time. He does still take some lazy and dumb penalties. I would say the biggest thing people knock him for is his skill. I think he was very skilled for the college ranks and certainly has enough to play at a high level in the AHL (IMO he's already better than Nieves).

TLDR:
Realistic Ceiling: Brian Boyle
Unlikely but Possible Ceiling: Kevin Hayes
Stylistic Comparison: Rick Nash
Compares Favorably To: Riley Nash(fellow Cornell alum)
Strengths*: Defense, Shot, Vision
Weaknesses*: Skating, Skill
(*note: Defense is the only skill that is outstanding in either way.)

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Thank you, @coz21
Beautiful.
Jack of all trades is a really good way of putting it. No crazy tools but just solid at everything minus the skating.

I forgot to mention hockey IQ which I would include as a strength as well, and contributes to the vision and defense. Not elite, but very good.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’d be happy with that ... they have openings in the bottom 6 for a reliable winger

If someone drafted outside the first round, plays 100 NHL games, that's a great draft selection. Look at Colorado for instance. The last player even outside the top-10 who played 100 games for them was Tyson Barrie in 2009.

You need to draft contributors. We have done that. Fast, Buchnevich, Duclair, Stepan, Hagelin, Callahan, Anisimov, and Dubinsky are some examples of contributors drafted outside the 1st round in the salary cap era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad