More post-meeting comments from Linden (and others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I think the problem is that hockey people have too much say in the process. They are hockey players, they don't know anything about running a business. Leave the smart stuff to the people who went to school for 4 years and do this for a leaving. In return, leave the hockey stuff to the hockey players. Pretty simple.

If hockey players were required to have college degrees you'd see how fast the more educated players would jump on the last offer the owners gave them. Idiots.

leafaholix*

The players always say "it's a business", now they won't shut their mouths and allow the business side of things to be run by actual businessmen instead of Tie Domi, Bob Boughner, and Dan Alfredsson.

Geez, IT'S A BUSINESS... YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS!

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
waffledave said:
I think the problem is that hockey people have too much say in the process. They are hockey players, they don't know anything about running a business. Leave the smart stuff to the people who went to school for 4 years and do this for a leaving. In return, leave the hockey stuff to the hockey players. Pretty simple.

If hockey players were required to have college degrees you'd see how fast the more educated players would jump on the last offer the owners gave them. Idiots.

The people that went to school, who currently are the leaders of their respective sides, have accomplished absolutely nothing thus far.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
"Linden, when asked about Clarke's comments, said that "one of the biggest issues with this negotiation is about hockey players dealing with a group of lawyers in New York."

Psst ... hey Trev ... remind us again of what Bob Goodenow,Ted Saskin and John McCambridge do for a living. Could it be that they're lawyers?

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
After reading the articles on tsn-slam etc-it is pretty obvious that the PA has no plan B--nor do they have a clue to where this is going--and i really did not see the venom coming from the regular group of mouthpieces (pronger-linden) that i have come to expect. maybe they have figured out that it is the fans and the owners who write their checks and not bob goodenow.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
snakepliskin said:
After reading the articles on tsn-slam etc-it is pretty obvious that the PA has no plan B--nor do they have a clue to where this is going--and i really did not see the venom coming from the regular group of mouthpieces (pronger-linden) that i have come to expect. maybe they have figured out that it is the fans and the owners who write their checks and not bob goodenow.

I don't Linden has been venemous. Frustrated, disappointed, sure but rarely venemous. For venemous look for guys like Chelios.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
me2 said:
I don't Linden has been venemous. Frustrated, disappointed, sure but rarely venemous. For venemous look for guys like Chelios.
seems i remember linden ripping bettman a new one a couple of weeks ago in an interview after a meeting -something about not being a hockey man and needing to be replaced and back in the nba

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Can we all put our fingers down our throat now...Unbelievable rhetorical GARBAGE from the PA. You have made yourselves irrelevent. Kiss your careers goodbye in the former NHL.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Seems to me that people who spend 100M or so for a team are 'hockey people'.

The longer this goes on, the more the players seem like teenagers. Today they are in the 'You just don't understand us' stage.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Apparently the Owners don't know how to run a business either, since they lose tons of money and we are now in this position.

The owners are excellent at running businesses. Almost all of them have private businesses that were successful enough to allow them to buy these teams.

The difference between the NHL and their private ventures is the system they operate in. The government sets laws that they must abide by and the system setup is such that they are able to make a large profit. The NHL sets rules they must abide by and they lose millions. Obviously it must the the rules they are forced to abide by that is causing the differing results.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
wazee said:
Seems to me that people who spend 100M or so for a team are 'hockey people'.

The longer this goes on, the more the players seem like teenagers. Today they are in the 'You just don't understand us' stage.

No kidding.

I'm sick of the "we need time to reflect now" line. You never did anything to reflect upon....

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Scugs said:
The people that went to school, who currently are the leaders of their respective sides, have accomplished absolutely nothing thus far.

Not really true at all. The business folk on the NHL side have accomplished "not caving", something they were unable to do last time.

The whole reason Trev wants "hockey people" on the NHL side is so that they'll give in and decide to play, since they won't be "business people".

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
s7ark said:
Kinda like Gretzky and Mario? Oh no wait, you chose to embarass those two hockey legends instead.

Exactly how were they embarassed?

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
PecaFan said:
Not really true at all. The business folk on the NHL side have accomplished "not caving", something they were unable to do last time.

The whole reason Trev wants "hockey people" on the NHL side is so that they'll give in and decide to play, since they won't be "business people".

They've accomplished a lot. They've gone from a starting position where ther ewas a fundamental ideological difference in their positions to a situation where they differ primarily by an amount. That is a huge amount of progress. If it is taking so long to get a deal, it's only because they started for far apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad