Post-Game Talk: Monty shines in chippy OT loss to Greasebag Panthers!

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I really hope Pearson and another vet are moved at the TDL, both for the picks and for the room that is made for the youth.
I can't imagine a team giving up a roll of shinpad tape for Pearson. I'd actually like to see much of our youth in Laval to help them make the playoffs. Right now they're out.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can't imagine a team giving up a roll of shinpad tape for Pearson. I'd actually like to see much of our youth in Laval to help them make the playoffs. Right now they're out.
Pez, Ylonen, and RHP are the ones Pearson is blocking and they won't go to Laval.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pez, Ylonen, and RHP are the ones Pearson is blocking and they won't go to Laval.
Pearson himself was hurt for several games and he didn’t block RHP as the latter missed a lot of time too.

There are too little games left to the season at this point to really matter.

If they activate RHP, who is sent to Laval?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pearson himself was hurt for several games and he didn’t block RHP as the latter missed a lot of time too.

There are too little games left to the season at this point to really matter.

If they activate RHP, who is sent to Laval?
I think after the TDL there are no more roster limits, so I guess they could wait until then to activate RHP.

If not, they're going to paper transaction Roy anyways around the TDL so he's eligible for the AHL playoffs, so maybe they just send him down for a short stint until after the TDL. They could also send RHP down, either down regularly (I don't think he has to pass through waivers) or as a conditioning stint.

But, Pez and Ylonen have been healthy scratches regularly this year while Pearson is in the lineup. RHP has spent time on the 4th line when Pearson was in the top 9.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Other than Celebrini there is no NHL ready prospect at this years draft. Even Celebrini is projected to be a good player but no generational talent
I would suggest people throw around terms like generational talent and elite skater rather loosely here.

While I agree that he’s not a generational talent, in the manner of a Crosby/, Ovechkin or a McDavid, Celebrini is good enough that should the hockey gods smile on us and we win the lottery, drafting Celebrini, would provide us with a francising altering player. He’s that good.
Plenty of my assessments have been wrong over the years, I'm not exactly batting 1000 on HF lol. It isn't a downward view btw but rather my take on how tough it is for a small player to produce against bigger opposing players that can skate and take away his time and space.

He reminds me of Phil Kessel and Mike Hoffman(when he was producing), a one-way offensive player who can go on streaks both good and bad. He would be better served to play with a big center and winger that allows him to access more space on the ice. We are seeing him take lower percentage shots from bad angles and he did it a few times last night because he can't get to the middle like he did last season. After all, teams have figured it out. I still believe he is a 30ish goal scorer which isn't a bad thing but for 8 million a season it might be disappointing.
in the hyper inflated NHL of today, 30 goals gets you $8 million dollars a year. If we won ‘t pay Caufield $8 million a year there will be no shortage of other teams that readily will. Besides, how many other 30 goal scores do we have?

Reactions: Paddy17 and LaP

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If Pearson and others get moved, some youth will need to replace their roster spots on the big club unless we pick up more players. Also if a goalie gets moved, there's another roster spot for a skater.

But yes...as the roster stands right now, I'd rather see Pez in the lineup. Hutson will likely be playing in Montreal soon as well but he won't be replacing Pearson.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Pearson and others get moved, some youth will need to replace their roster spots on the big club unless we pick up more players. Also if a goalie gets moved, there's another roster spot for a skater.

But yes...as the roster stands right now, I'd rather see Pez in the lineup. Hutson will likely be playing in Montreal soon as well but he won't be replacing Pearson.
With Roy up, when RHP comes back we'll have 14 forwards. If we move Pearson and one other forward we'll have all 12 playing. We can get a 13th forward either from Laval or the waiver wire.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think after the TDL there are no more roster limits, so I guess they could wait until then to activate RHP.

If not, they're going to paper transaction Roy anyways around the TDL so he's eligible for the AHL playoffs, so maybe they just send him down for a short stint until after the TDL. They could also send RHP down, either down regularly (I don't think he has to pass through waivers) or as a conditioning stint.

But, Pez and Ylonen have been healthy scratches regularly this year while Pearson is in the lineup. RHP has spent time on the 4th line when Pearson was in the top 9.
You are correct, RHP would be waiver claim exempt if sent to Laval.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Good post. You guys for sure have a great team. But I did want to ask if you get annoyed by all of Tkachuk's diving and embellishment? He's a great player. But those antics? I'd like to see the refs clamor down in hom with some embellishment calls.
He's one of those hate him when he is on the other team / love him on our team type of guys.

Panthers can only be great if they achieve it. Yes, they are a contender. Do they have something? It seems like they do, but luck and health determine quite a bit in the playoffs.

Before this era of Panthers hockey, I was 75 percent certain they were going to move and I'd never watch the NHL again. My hope is they are now entrenched.

Reactions: 26Mats

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I could see Pearson being moved. He's a vet. Won the cup. If we retain half his salary that will make him close to minimum aav player so to add him you just have to send someone down. I mean on a 4th line he's not a bad player to have. He's decent depth. I could see a team being interested at the last minute for a 4th and might as well just take the 4th and give his spot to someone else.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I could see Pearson being moved. He's a vet. Won the cup. If we retain half his salary that will make him close to minimum aav player so to add him you just have to send someone down. I mean on a 4th line he's not a bad player to have. He's decent depth. I could see a team being interested at the last minute for a 4th and might as well just take the 4th and give his spot to someone else.
I don’t see the value of retaining on an asset that would beget at best a mediocre draft pick.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t see the value of retaining on an asset that would beget at best a mediocre draft pick.
If we don't have any offers that we take for the other players we could retain on, I'd rather use our last retention spot to move out Pearson than to be a 3rd team retaining to help another trade. If the returns are the same in both trades, I'd rather have Pearson off of the roster and give playing time to the youth.

But there are other players I'd rather move with retention ahead of Pearson:
1) Savard (potential high return, good for the tank)
2) Armia (better to have him off the roster this year and next, Pearson already comes off the books in the summer)
3) Anderson & Gallager (I'd retain to not have either of them on the roster for 3 more years. Give the spot to a young guy)
Then it's Pearson, then Allen. I see the vets clogging up the forward spot as more of a problem than Allen taking away Primeau's backup minutes because I'm not so high on Primeau. And hopefully Allen could be moved in the summer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well we got a retention slot might as well use it if we are not using it on someone else?
It could still be used prior to July 1st, when it can easily be leveraged.

If the choice is for a mediocre pick now vs carrying it forward as future ammo, I’d rather take the latter.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
If ref didn't body shield Rodriges, Arber would have pounded the shit out of him. One thing I want to see is Habs having more nasty dirty players just for games like that. But still... think for the most part they stood up well to Panthers. Monty's just too big... hard to avoid :)
So two minutes later when he got out of the box, was the ref stick there? A few minutes before he ran at Galagher...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would suggest people throw around terms like generational talent and elite skater rather loosely here.

While I agree that he’s not a generational talent, in the manner of a Crosby/, Ovechkin or a McDavid, Celebrini is good enough that should the hockey gods smile on us and we win the lottery, drafting Celebrini, would provide us with a francising altering player. He’s that good.

in the hyper inflated NHL of today, 30 goals gets you $8 million dollars a year. If we won ‘t pay Caufield $8 million a year there will be no shortage of other teams that readily will. Besides, how many other 30 goal scores do we have?
Suzuki will probably hit it this year but yeah, the cupboard is bare.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Slaf looked good last night, I’ve been impressed with how fast he processes the game. Take a look at the PP & OT, he moves the puck so fast that some of our “older” players aren’t even expecting the pass.

Our core young guys all played well, Suzi is truly a silent assassin, lol.
Cheers.

Reactions: Pomee

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Anyone else notice on Reinhart's tying SHG that the Habs net popped up from Monty nudging his post which may have given Reinhart a little bit more room over Monty's shoulder?

I didn't notice it until I just watched the replay on NHL.com after hearing McGuire on TSN690 mentioning it just now and the net did indeed pop up and looked to be leaning back a little bit from the top too.

Still a very nice shot by Reinhart though.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
It could still be used prior to July 1st, when it can easily be leveraged.

If the choice is for a mediocre pick now vs carrying it forward as future ammo, I’d rather take the latter.
This is correct. If retaining on Pearson upgrades the return from a 5th to a 4th, what's the point. Better to have a slot in case there's a trade that could be made at the draft when the retention might be worth a lot more.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So two minutes later when he got out of the box, was the ref stick there? A few minutes before he ran at Galagher...
I know, I know... Arber was neutered by MSL. I blame management, for Habs almost always being on the receiving end. it's been like this since... forever it seems.

Reactions: Habs13

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Anyone else notice on Reinhart's tying SHG that the Habs net popped up from Monty nudging his post which may have given Reinhart a little bit more room over Monty's shoulder?

I didn't notice it until I just watched the replay on NHL.com after hearing McGuire on TSN690 mentioning it just now and the net did indeed pop up and looked to be leaning back a little bit from the top too.

Still a very nice shot by Reinhart though.
That shot was skill at it's finest. If that were Connor Bedard it would have been on every highlight reel that covers the NHL.

Reactions: sheed36

sukimono

Mar 27, 2009
PQ
Wait what the f???

Are you complaining about having talent on the ice??? Seriously dude, get your head checked.

Listening to some of you it's like you want the team to be perpetually bad so we....draft higher?? Man...that is some BS if I've ever read it.
That's the whole point of a rebuild dimwit

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3