Value of: Montreal's four 2nd round picks

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Brock Nelson for one of them. Or Krejci for one or two of them.
I was thinking Krejci, Duchene, T.Johnson or J.Staal

Or one of the Islanders' first round picks, they could walk away with both Zadina and Jesperi K. and Lou could then wheel those 2nds in multiple deals to address goaltending without over paying.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The first question I would ask would be how high of a 1st do you feel all 4 together would be worth? 10-15?-15-20? How about 3 together? At least if that would be a goal it would be a good starting point.

If it is for a player then it gets more tricky as you would naturally want to target rebuilding teams with good players but as MTL is also rebuilding they would be looking for a younger player and the list of teams that would rather have the picks over a younger player but still have a player that is worth that return would be incredibly small if not close to 0. Maybe someone like Namestikov (sp?) from NYR might be possible.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
The first question I would ask would be how high of a 1st do you feel all 4 together would be worth? 10-15?-15-20? How about 3 together? At least if that would be a goal it would be a good starting point.

If it is for a player then it gets more tricky as you would naturally want to target rebuilding teams with good players but as MTL is also rebuilding they would be looking for a younger player and the list of teams that would rather have the picks over a younger player but still have a player that is worth that return would be incredibly small if not close to 0. Maybe someone like Namestikov (sp?) from NYR might be possible.
I think cap pressed teams like Tampa would be best served to sell off a good player. They get cap relief and that organization does well with 2nd round picks. They could stack their system with players they'll need on ELC over the few years. Where teams like Montreal have cap room and the need for immediate talent.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think cap pressed teams like Tampa would be best served to sell off a good player. They get cap relief and that organization does well with 2nd round picks. They could stack their system with players they'll need on ELC over the few years. Where teams like Montreal have cap room and the need for immediate talent.

While I think there is a lot to this, they are also trying to win now, so the player they move would have to be very specific and deliberate and there would also need to be a specific reason for the cap space. The 2nds wouldn't provide any value for 2-3 years most likely so you would have to have a very good reason for a Cup contending team to make themselves strictly worse when they are trying to win it all. Its not like MTL is moving those picks for Callahan, it would have to be a good player. Its just messy

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
While I think there is a lot to this, they are also trying to win now, so the player they move would have to be very specific and deliberate and there would also need to be a specific reason for the cap space. The 2nds wouldn't provide any value for 2-3 years most likely so you would have to have a very good reason for a Cup contending team to make themselves strictly worse when they are trying to win it all. Its not like MTL is moving those picks for Callahan, it would have to be a good player. Its just messy

Cap pressed contenders need ELCs more, Tampa's biggest concern will be finding room for Kuch and the perhaps the luxury of extending McDonaugh. That's why they didn't give up a Cal Foote to the Rangers this year.

You need to keep the well flowing from your farm team with their big contracts. Chicago did this well for a bit but we see how fast you can hit a wall. Tampa will be desperate for young cheaper labor in 2-3 years.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Cap pressed contenders need ELCs more, Tampa's biggest concern will be finding room for Kuch and the perhaps the luxury of extending McDonaugh. That's why they didn't give up a Cal Foote to the Rangers this year.

You need to keep the well flowing from your farm team with their big contracts. Chicago did this well for a bit but we see how fast you can hit a wall. Tampa will be desperate for young cheaper labor in 2-3 years.

While in general I think that can be the case in certain instances, that does not seem to be the situation TBL is currently in. They have plenty of options to free up cap and have plenty of high end prospects already coming in over the next few years.

I think if a team were to overpay for Johnson they might consider it, but it would be more so because they feel they already would have an internal replacement.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
While in general I think that can be the case in certain instances, that does not seem to be the situation TBL is currently in. They have plenty of options to free up cap and have plenty of high end prospects already coming in over the next few years.

I think if a team were to overpay for Johnson they might consider it, but it would be more so because they feel they already would have an internal replacement.
Just think we all get too locked into team x is a win now buyer and team y is a seller rebuilder.

The reality is not all teams do or should operate in those terms.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Just think we all get too locked into team x is a win now buyer and team y is a seller rebuilder.

The reality is not all teams do or should operate in those terms.

Teams have windows and that is very relevant, there are moves you can make to manipulate them slightly but when a team is all in they are all in. Same for when a team is rebuilding. Each situation has clear directions and needs that need to be met.

Buyers and sellers sure, as that depends on the actual players and circumstance.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Teams have windows and that is very relevant, there are moves you can make to manipulate them slightly but when a team is all in they are all in. Same for when a team is rebuilding. Each situation has clear directions and needs that need to be met.

Buyers and sellers sure, as that depends on the actual players and circumstance.
Tampa's window is Stamkos, Hedman and Kuch's career together in Tampa

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Tampa's window is Stamkos, Hedman and Kuch's career together in Tampa

Hockey is a team sport and depth is often the biggest determining factor in predicting which teams are the real contenders. While it is true that the age range of the core determines the window there is a bit more than that.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Hockey is a team sport and depth is often the biggest determining factor in predicting which teams are the real contenders. While it is true that the age range of the core determines the window there is a bit more than that.
Thanks for making my case that investing in four seconds and cap relief is more important than selling for a short term add or holding onto one complimentary piece.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Thanks for making my case that investing in four seconds and cap relief is more important than selling for a short term add or holding onto one complimentary piece.

As an overall statement its incorrect because it purely depends on the situation. Many times that will not be the case for one of the sides. Hockey is a complicated sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad