Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He didn't get screwed. They actually did him favor by releasing him from his deal. But our ownership/management was being petty and cheap to let him walk.

I don't know what Trotz was thinking when he signed that deal. Obviously his salary required renegotiation because $1.8M for a 17-or-whatever-year NHL coach who just won the cup is insulting.

Pay him the $5M for 5 years, even if he only lasts 2 or 3 years. Dismantle the coaching staff when it stops working, not after winning a championship. I don't see how that's a problem for our multibillionaire owner so I think the decision ultimately came down to BMac and Dick Patrick who stubbornly went ahead with the promise they gave to Todd without considering what this team would revert back to without a strong coaching staff.

GMBM is quoted saying the term was the sticking point. He wanted to go from 4 years to 9 years and thats too long. The cash was never the issue. 9 years with 1 team is insanely rare in the NHL, but its what BT demanded.

Not sure any team would sign a coach thinking "we'll pay you for 5 years but we only expect you to stay for 2 or 3. No one does that, Ted shouldn't be expected to.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
GMBM is quoted saying the term was the sticking point. He wanted to go from 4 years to 9 years and thats too long. The cash was never the issue. 9 years with 1 team is insanely rare in the NHL, but its what BT demanded.

Not sure any team would sign a coach thinking "we'll pay you for 5 years but we only expect you to stay for 2 or 3. No one does that, Ted shouldn't be expected to.
Yea but unlike with player contracts coaches can be fired. So if $ was not the sticking point why not give him 9 years and fire him when they feel like the team needs a leadership change. It was bizarre situation. Trotz should have been there to defend the cup.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yea but unlike with player contracts coaches can be fired. So if $ was not the sticking point why not give him 9 years and fire him when they feel like the team needs a leadership change. It was bizarre situation. Trotz should have been there to defend the cup.
Why didn't Trotz settle for the 3 years that was offered by the Caps? Why did he demand 5 years? I'd wager it's because he knew more likely than not that he'd never make it to the end of the contract

Reactions: Calicaps

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Why didn't Trotz settle for the 3 years that was offered by the Caps? Why did he demand 5 years? I'd wager it's because he knew more likely than not that he'd never make it to the end of the contract
My comments were not directed at what Trotz demanded or did not demand. Point i was trying to make is that when your coach helps you win the SC for the time in franchise history it may not be the best idea to let him walk over contract negotiations. They should have gave him what he wanted and have him there to defend the cup. If things did not work out they could have just fired him after year one and everyone would move on. And to us as fans it really doesn't matter if Trotz demanded $5m or $50m. That money is not coming out of the teams cap so why gives a damn how much $ the coach is making.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
My comments were not directed at what Trotz demanded or did not demand. Point i was trying to make is that when your coach helps you win the SC for the time in franchise history it may not be the best idea to let him walk over contract negotiations. They should have gave him what he wanted and have him there to defend the cup. If things did not work out they could have just fired him after year one and everyone would move on. And to us as fans it really doesn't matter if Trotz demanded $5m or $50m. That money is not coming out of the teams cap so why gives a damn how much $ the coach is making.
The demands are the big sticking point though. Yes he won the cup, but like I said in one of the earlier posts in this thread there was a rumor/report after the SC run that Reirden's tactics were used after the team went down 2-0 to Columbus. He was going to be fired two different times throughout the season and never has made it out of the 2nd round other than the Caps SC. Giving 5x5 to him at that point when he had 4 years under his belt would be shitting money away. He wouldn't last that contract length. Despite what everyone around these boards think, sports franchises are run as a business and that would have been a bad business decision

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
I still think people understimate him. The year we won the cup the Isles were ranked 31st dead last for goals against. The next season, he got them to 1st in goals against and they were a worse team.

Yes it took him 4 years with us and yes there were some rough moments but in the end he got it done and, I'll say again that him Lambert and Korn are a lot better than what we have now.

I think would've been worth the $.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad