Value of: Montreal Trading Down at the Draft

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
The Canadiens don't need "more darts" in the 2nd round while losing a 1st round pick. They have two picks in the 1st round, one in the 2nd, two in the 3rd, and twelve total. In 2025 they have two picks in the first round, two in the 2nd, three in the 3rd, and twelve total. Montreal needs quality players, not even more draft picks.
There will also be a point where they simply cannot sign all these young guys. There are only so many contract spots available.

Some of these picks in the next 2 years will be move no doubt....

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Canadiens are not in a position to get too cute to gain extra second round pick. If you lose your guy, 2nd round pick won't do much. I'd prefer they add Jets first and trade up for Demidov.

Reactions: malcb33

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Idc if we have a lot of defencemen in the pipeline, they’re gold and easily tradable. Let’s not ignore the BPA just because we have that position covered.

I used to believe in the BPA drafting theory then I switched to BPA weighted by position ie Centres and RHD given priority. I mean sure if you don't need that player just trade him I thought. Now I realize getting value on a trade isn't always a given. Geez we have a logjam on D right now and we can't seem to give our guys away.

I'm quite sure Habs pick going to be Ignila.

If we draft the guy are you going to learn how to spell his name? Anywho I personally want us to grab a Centre since I have near zero hope in Dach being able to stay healthy. The only exception is if Demidov is available at 5th. Oh and I don't want Lindstrom.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Most I would trade down would be to 9 and only if the return to drop could be packaged with other assets to get another pick in the top 15

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only way I am interested in trading the 5th pick is if we are able to get two picks from 8-13 range. Option 1 doesn't happen unless Option 2 is approved ahead of time.

1) 5th for 8 or 9 and we get an extra 1st.

2) We use the extra 1st from option 1, add the Jets 1st and Mesar. Basically three 1st rounders and trade up for 12 or 13th.

If fans from two separate teams want to engage into this, let us know

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
No question, the Habs will not draft this high again for a while. You add 5 to 25/27, a good young lefty defenseman and a high quality youngster like Beck or Mesar, or one of next year's firsts rounders with the idea of being sure of getting one of Demidov or Lindstrom. Would Anaheim or Columbus bite? It wouldn't be cheap but this could be the Habs last chance at drafting a premier offensive talent this decade. They are a bubble team next year, imo.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We need young top 6 players, not comedy posts with worn out mid 6.

If there are no forwards then in 5.OA, the BPA are high impact top 2 defenseman. I'm sure every team has 10 of them just ready to be the next Hedman...

Hughes needs to pick the BPA and ignore the noise. After all, we had BargainBin and his "we need a center" which net us K

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I'm quite sure Habs pick going to be Ignila. They think he is going to be like his father. Another Brady draft situation. Unless something crazy happens at draft. They spent too much time on him not to be heavily interested. Hughes is known to go semi against the grain. He picked Slaf when everybody said Wright. He picked Reinbacher when everybody thought it was Michkov or Leonard
When he picked Slaf, there was every indication that Wright was dropping. Still 50/50 at going one, but he didn't go "off the board". Hence Wright falling to 4.

He picked Reinbacher when every fan was concerned because it looked like it was going to be Reinbacher. I think everyone and their mother knew who number 5 was going to be, unless one of the 3 centers dropped. Sure, we had hopes for Leonard and Dvorsky and Michkov, etc. but we all knew where he was going,

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
When he picked Slaf, there was every indication that Wright was dropping. Still 50/50 at going one, but he didn't go "off the board". Hence Wright falling to 4.

He picked Reinbacher when every fan was concerned because it looked like it was going to be Reinbacher. I think everyone and their mother knew who number 5 was going to be, unless one of the 3 centers dropped. Sure, we had hopes for Leonard and Dvorsky and Michkov, etc. but we all knew where he was going,
I think Habs are set on Tij Iginla. I suspect Lindstrom will be available and the Habs still pick Iginla.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
A small middle 6 forward…. Yeah Hughes would be fired. Habs have zero interest obviously!
lol he doesn’t play small. He’s good for 45 points with minimal pp time. He would’ve been 4th amongst your forwards in points, playing on a shutdown line.

Flames will end up with one of Demidov, Iginla, Lindstrom, Catton, Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev or Buium.

The thought that someone will trade a young stud to move up and pick a similar caliber player is obnoxious. I can see why Montreal would want to stay at 5 but don’t act like the 5th will have a vastly superior player to those available at 9.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Teams don’t trade those kinds of players. Good luck
And teams don't trade 5th OA picks for 28 year old undersized depth wingers who are a year out from UFA. Montreal will just keep their pick and have their choice of a bigger pool of prospects. Calgary can keep their underwhelming offer and pick from. Who's left at 9

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I can't see Montreal moving their pick. They likely going to get either Lindstrom or Ignila. Both are heart and soul players with hands, types you need for playoffs. Fits well into their culture.

Unless first 4 picks are forwards, but not going to happen. Going to take core young player for Montreal to trade down. Teams won't give that up.

I'd like to trade down and get Dickinson. Dickinson going to be a beast, Dobson type. but we stacked on left D. Not happening.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
no way habs move down, they need offense , But what about this? Mtl is being flooded with calls for Xhekaj it seems everyone wants him. MTL has said no to everyone. Players like him dont grow on trees. Would Hughes finally give in IF Columbus offers the 4th overall pick for a Xhekaj. They might have picked a dman at 4 anyway. and lets no forget Xhekaj plays right now in the nhl, no need to wait 2-3 years for your 4th to develop and then join Columbus.

• Haha
Reactions: Qwijibo and Grinner

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
lol he doesn’t play small. He’s good for 45 points with minimal pp time. He would’ve been 4th amongst your forwards in points, playing on a shutdown line.

Flames will end up with one of Demidov, Iginla, Lindstrom, Catton, Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev or Buium.

The thought that someone will trade a young stud to move up and pick a similar caliber player is obnoxious. I can see why Montreal would want to stay at 5 but don’t act like the 5th will have a vastly superior player to those available at 9.
Don’t act like Mangiapane is a desirable player that will move you to 5. We don’t know who the Habs will pick. We know #5 is vastly more valuable than 9. We know that a 45pt 28yo small middle 6 forward is hardly enough to move up to 5. That’s laughable and embarrassing. Hughes would be fired!

• Haha
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Don’t act like Mangiapane is a desirable player that will move you to 5. We don’t know who the Habs will pick. We know #5 is vastly more valuable than 9. We know that a 45pt 28yo small middle 6 forward is hardly enough to move up to 5. That’s laughable and embarrassing. Hughes would be fired!
The Flames are in no position to give up picks to only move up a few slots. We need more picks, not less. Many of us have told you already multiple times - we are more than happy with those that will be available at 9.
You Canadiens fans need to give up this fantasy of the Flames sending you a golden haul so you maybe don't pick IGINLA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad