Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I really think the Habs need another top 6 forward signed for 2-3 years. If we draft a forward with our 24 1st rounder, that would leave enough time for the kid to develop and be ready to take a top 6 spot.

My wish list in order:

1. Stamkos (leader goal scorer cup winner; sign him a ridiculous $12M for 2 years)
2. Monahan (leader familiar with the team; 3 years $5M)
3. Marchessault (clutch goal scorer cup winner; $8M for 2 years)
4. Toffoli (leader familiar with the team; 2 years $5M)
5. Duclair (fast and can score goals; 3 years $4.5M)
6. Mantha (big player that supposedly matured this year; 3 year $4M)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Would you throw a ridiculous offer to Stamkos like a 2 year $12M contract?

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Stamkos
Roy- Dvorak-Anderson
Gallagher-Evans-Armia

I would think Stankos would like to stay in Tampa but a $12M contract would be hard to refuse and even harder to match. We have plenty of cap room for the next 2 years so might as well spend it on a cup winner captain that can teach the kids how to do it!

Also St-Louis played 6 seasons with him so there might be a good connection there.
No...The Habs have "funny" cap space anyway, it only appears they have a lot because of LTIR.

Until we're not spending more than 16M annually on goaltending, i'm using whatever cap space they currently have to pay for extensions for young foundational players like Slafkovsky and Guhle.

Reactions: Surfer72

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Slafkovsky has one more year left on his ELC. How much do you think he earns on his second contract if his production jumps to 25 Goals and 60 points in the final year of that contract?

Is it a bridge contract or a long term contract?

Reactions: Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Slafkovsky has one more year left on his ELC. How much do you think he earns on his second contract if his production jumps to 25 Goals and 60 points in the final year of that contract?

Id say if he ends up around 70p they offer him the Nick Suzuki special

Reactions: BLONG7

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Could be either or and either way, better to have that money available than having it tied up in expensive UFAs that aren't going to make the difference with this team being super competitive or not.

Personally, if i'm Slafkovsky, i'd rather a bridge considering I didn't really get to start to establish my financial ceiling until the second half of this year and I don't think Suzuki should be my ceiling either.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Slafkovsky could, realistically, take a 5-year contract at 7M, to edge his bets and still bet on himself at the same time since he started in theNHL as an 18-year old, burning years off his ELC early.

5 years after this one would have him start his third NHL contract as a 25-year old who could cash in with a HUGE 8-year contract in his prime that would end with him as a 32 year old in the final year of that third contract, able to sign yet another lucrative 3 or 4 year contract as a final big money contract.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Suzuki got his extension after back to back 41pt seasons.

If they wait until Slafkovsky puts up 70pts, it's going to cost a lot more than what it cost to sign Suzuki.

Suzuki got his extension after 41 points in 56 games (a 60 point pace normal season pace) and leading a cup finalist in playoff points.

Its true that he'd get more than Suzuki did if he hits 70 pts, but the bar is/was not back to back 41 point seasons.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Suzuki got his extension after 41 points in 56 games (a 60 point pace normal season pace) and leading a cup finalist in playoff points.
Good catch, that's true.
Its true that he'd get more than Suzuki did if he hits 70 pts, but the bar is/was not back to back 41 point seasons.
Sure, but point being is that if the Habs want to sign him long term at some point soon, It's likely to be right around what SUzuki and Caufield got.

Which again, if i'm Slafkovsky, i'd rather go shorter term.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
No...The Habs have "funny" cap space anyway, it only appears they have a lot because of LTIR.

Until we're not spending more than 16M annually on goaltending, i'm using whatever cap space they currently have to pay for extensions for young foundational players like Slafkovsky and Guhle.
Habs have $19.6M in cap space next year. Price is not coming back, that $10,5M is real cap space, nothing funny about it. Then only UFA/RFA that is worthy of an offer from this season is Xhekaj which should be around $1.5M. Next year we have about $18M leaving with Dvorak, Evans, Armia, Savard, Kovacevic, Pezzeta being UFA and not having to pay retained salaries on Petry and Allen.

That is plenty of money for Slaf and Ghule and a 3rd line center plus ELC players (Reinbacher, Hudson, Mailloux, Beck)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I would extend Slaf eight years right now and give him the same contract Suzuki and Caufield have and never look back.
That contract will likely age better than Suzuki's which says everything.

Jul 6, 2016
I would extend Slaf eight years right now and give him the same contract Suzuki and Caufield have and never look back.
That contract will likely age better than Suzuki's which says everything.
How come ? Suzuki is progressing every single season he’s playing.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I really think the Habs need another top 6 forward signed for 2-3 years. If we draft a forward with our 24 1st rounder, that would leave enough time for the kid to develop and be ready to take a top 6 spot.

My wish list in order:

1. Stamkos (leader goal scorer cup winner; sign him a ridiculous $12M for 2 years)
Not exactlyto in that order but a very good listo. Just put Mohanan injurio risko player way bellow. Why ? Too mucho injurio risko. Sorry that's was my spanisho talko for the day ; they are coming back in the fieldo, lol. Welcome back amigos.

Could have traded Anderson couple years back for big return. Habs balked. Probably a Gorton thing. Where he got caught with soft lineup in Tom Wilson incident with Rangers. Costs him his job.
Yes, agree. Too bad Gorton missed trading Donky Anderson when it was still time. Now it's too late. Like Gally, we'll have to endure. Time doesn't pass that fast.

Jul 6, 2016
How don’t know in which extent it would be possible to bring back a veteran like Toffoli or Monahan in MTL And at what cost ?

Duclair or Mantha could be cheaper. Stamkos or Marchesseault or Guentzel are very pricy.

And we need some grit and muscle and defensive players in the bottom six. Enough of Dvorak, Pezz or RHP. MSL is not a fan of Pezz for sure.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I just found a song and had an idea to make an epic video if the Habs every win the cup again.

The problem is ill probably be too old to remember this idea.

Also, playing it over in my head and hearing this "and now a 25th stanley cup banner will hang from the rafters of the famous bell centre in Montreal. The Canadiens win the Stanley cup!" Still wouldn't give the same chills as hearing Bob Cole's original call for '93 and I don't even remember watching that as I was 4.

Habs need to win the cup again.

Reactions: Laurentide

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How come ? Suzuki is progressing every single season he’s playing.
Slaf has a higher upside IMO. Suzuki's contract being awesome. Slaf's would be that much better.
Having the third musketeer on a team friendly would be huge for the window.

Last edited:

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Quiet 50 pt young winger signed 4 more seasons a 5 mil would cost.

But if you are willing to dangle 5th oa for Farabee and 12th, pretty sure he is gone.
id think about this one long and hard... I much prefer that trade than the 5th OV vs Zegras straight up

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
How don’t know in which extent it would be possible to bring back a veteran like Toffoli or Monahan in MTL And at what cost ?

Duclair or Mantha could be cheaper. Stamkos or Marchesseault or Guentzel are very pricy.

And we need some grit and muscle and defensive players in the bottom six. Enough of Dvorak, Pezz or RHP. MSL is not a fan of Pezz for sure.
Like to add size in bottom 6. Thru UFA. RHP replace him. He fell way off this season

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
id think about this one long and hard... I much prefer that trade than the 5th OV vs Zegras straight up
Me too. I was borderline on Zegras preferring to draft at 5, trade at 7, and check out the options at 6.

However, is the upgrade from 12 to 5/6/7 enough for Philly? Farabee looks like a good middle six winger. I guess the salary makes him less of a bargain than Newhook, but I think the trade cost was higher for Newhook.

According to the website Sound of Hockey, what we gave up for Newhook (picks 31 and 37) were worth around the same as a straight 18/19 OA. Given that Newhook was drafted 16th and has played above his draft rank (around 9th in a re-draft), that was a good deal.

The difference between 5th and 12th is worth around a 27th (which is roughly the rank of the Winnipeg first). If we only pick 6th, the difference is around 33/34 OA and if we would be picking 7th, the difference is around a 39/40.

So Philly would be getting less value for 24 year old Farabee signed for 4 more years at $5.0M and ending at UFA status than what Colorado got for 22 year old Newhook who had 5 RFA years left at the time (and has three more years now at $2.9M ending at RFA status).

Farabee was drafted 14th and would also be around 9th in a re-draft. The two players had very similar ppg and gpg last year, with Newhook 2 years younger, however Farabee played all 82 games.

It's a close call, I think. It depends how Philly sees Farabee's contract versus performance versus total team cap.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

My wish list in order:

At the salary and term listed above, it's this order for me:

1. Monahan
2. Toffoli
3. Mantha
4. Duclair
5. Marchessault (might prefer to pass due to AAV)
Stamkos HARD PASS

Reactions: Cenzo_

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
At the salary and term listed above, it's this order for me:

1. Monahan
2. Toffoli
3. Mantha
4. Duclair
5. Marchessault (might prefer to pass due to AAV)
Stamkos HARD PASS
Why? At 2-years term, he’s the ideal game breaker that might be even remotely available

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad