Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
No one. Still players to purge. Stay the course.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Roy (maybe)
Armia-Evans/Dvorak-Gallagher
Pezzetta-Evans/Dvorak-RHP

Tuch gets an audition

We have a wizard over here

8ncdbj.jpg

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
I would look at bringing in a veteran RD who is better than Savard (Pesce maybe?). Savard is gone after next year and it would allow them not to rush Reinbacher and Mailloux.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
No way they leave $17M of unused cap this year.

If they somehow did, the fans should boycott the team, withhold revenue until the club puts a product on the ice.
LOL ok. They're not a UFA away.

Here's the list. They're either too old for our window, too old and not likely to leave the US market, or not likely to leave the US market.

Don't get me wrong, Toffoli and Monahan were solid Habs. That doesn't necessarily mean we should be lining up to sign them.

Armia has one more year. Wait another year before making a decision on Anderson. Gallagher will be LTIRetired at some point. But they're not under the gun to do anything and fans shouldn't be putting them under the gun. HuGo just finished their second full season. There's a lot to clean up. Anyone considering open revolt if the team isn't active in the UFA market NOW isn't much of a fan.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
LOL ok. They're not a UFA away.

Here's the list. They're either too old for our window, too old and not likely to leave the US market, or not likely to leave the US market.

Don't get me wrong, Toffoli and Monahan were solid Habs. That doesn't necessarily mean we should be lining up to sign them.

Armia has one more year. Wait another year before making a decision on Anderson. Gallagher will be LTIRetired at some point. But they're not under the gun to do anything and fans shouldn't be putting them under the gun. HuGo just finished their second full season. There's a lot to clean up. Anyone considering open revolt if the team isn't active in the UFA market NOW isn't much of a fan.
Stamkos is the only one that makes sense + meeting criteria set by Gorton “a great UFA out there” + MSL factor to potentially help lure

Reactions: HabzSauce

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Stamkos is the only one that makes sense + meeting criteria set by Gorton “a great UFA out there” + MSL factor to potentially help lure
Doesn't make much sense for either party imo. Certainly not him. He'll either take a shave to stay in Tampa to finish his career, or sign a one-year deal somewhere warm and replace Tavares in 25-26.

Reactions: dinodebino

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Do not need to sign san older UFA if u sign someone it should be a younger RFA with offensive upside like Dorofeyev.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Joah Anderson was Billy Bob Thornton all this time we just did not realise it.

View attachment 855285
I didn't really have a problem with him before this year. Terrible year. Probably hit the post more than anyone in the league. If he can bounce back, or they can hypnotize him to think he's playing the Leafs every night, I'm fine with him being around.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Chatfield is not physical much rather sign someone like Hakanpaa throws tons hits is huge and can log more ice time.
Hakanpaa would quickly become our 7th dman no reason to sign him specially at 32 he is close to retirement. Dallas acquired Tanev at the deadline to replace Hakanpaa and it's because they think he's not a top 6 of a cup contending team.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There are muliple ways of using that cap space. Signing a UFA is the last one MTL should consider

UFAs are only part of a well-rounded strategy.

But in the end they are charging people big money to associate with the Habs. If they aren't spending it to near the cap, they are crooks.

If they aren't spending it wisely, they are fools.

I don't want to support either crooks or fools.

Kent, I am sure you will continue to do your job and bring in talent on contracts that won't cripple us.

Don't listen to the folks saying to sit on your hands just because they have not yet seen obvious moves you should make and declared them "doable".

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What happens on D will be fascinating...

Locks: Matheson, Guhle, Savard

Waiver eligible: Barron, Xhekaj, Kovacevic, Harris

Waiver exempt: RB, Hutson, Mailloux, Strubble

Easy math is to start the first 7 & send the 4 waiver exempt guys back to Laval until injuries open up space...

But all 4 of them have a good shot at "earning" a top 4 spot in the current NHL roster. Do you really send a guy back to Laval who shows better than 1/2 the guys on the opening day roster???

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I wouldn't mind trying to get Samuel Poulin out of Pittsburgh. Even if he doesn't make Montreal, he's a good add for Laval. He'd bring size & scoring. He could very well make Montreal's 4th line next years. I always liked him. He's had some hardship.

Pens definitely need D.

4th line definitely needs improvement. Pezz & Ylonen are not it.

Reactions: MXD and Miller Time

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I want us to get Marchessault badly. Sure he's older than the rest of the squad but he would bring so much damn offensive leadership. We're not talking about making a big trade to compete like crazy. Just adding a player so we can get to the next step. With Dach as well returning next year we would challenge for a playoff spot for sure.

Also an all new fourth line would be cool. Olivier, Carrier and maybe getting Roy from Vegas cause we need a quality center as well. (Jesus I know they are all french but I swear I didn't mean to lol )

And trading Primeau and get Varlamov as a solid vet to second Monty.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I want us to get Marchessault badly. Sure he's older than the rest of the squad but he would bring so much damn offensive leadership. We're not talking about making a big trade to compete like crazy. Just adding a player so we can get to the next step. With Dach as well returning next year we would challenge for a playoff spot for sure.

Also an all new fourth line would be cool. Olivier, Carrier and maybe getting Roy from Vegas cause we need a quality center as well. (Jesus I know they are all french but I swear I didn't mean to lol )

And trading Primeau and get Varlamov as a solid vet to second Monty.
He’s going to ask for term - I wouldn’t commit more than 2-years

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I think we're in for a surprise this off season. We can't go into next season with everyone still here. And it seems Hugo was very pleased with this season and I got the feeling they are ready to start being more aggressive as soon as this year.

we'll see. I predict another big draft day trade. Maybe we get another early 1st. Then we trade it for somebody else like we did with Dach. That would be fun

Reactions: Rozz

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I would look for a guy like Mathieu Olivier and or Dakota Joshua. Gotta build a legit 4th line.
I'm just wondering when this fan base will take Kent Hughes at his word?
When asked to identify the problems he saw with his club Physicality was the first thing out of his mouth not second not fifth but first.
While we absolutely require a high end physical forward in our top 6 chances are it isn't happening this off season. So where are we adding?
The least expensive way of creating space is where.

We can afford to dump or move a number of minimal contracts.
"The team showed us a lot this year" plays exactly into what I've been saying for the past three months or so. It's time for management to step up and support the players with some backbone. Otherwise this whole "Culture" thing will start to lose it's shine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Stamkos will go to the Laffs if anything. It's home for him and they are stacked up front. Marsh also makes for MTL but will cost an arm and a leg. Or better yet bring back Toffoli and Money.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I think we're in for a surprise this off season. We can't go into next season with everyone still here. And it seems Hugo was very pleased with this season and I got the feeling they are ready to start being more aggressive as soon as this year.

we'll see. I predict another big draft day trade. Maybe we get another early 1st. Then we trade it for somebody else like we did with Dach. That would be fun
There is nothing left to command an early first unless they give up on Suz, Cole, Slaf, Matheson or one of the younger Ds, which won't happen. That's your future core. If you think Dvorak, Gallagher, Armia, Anderson and Savard can fetch an early first. Keep dreaming. They can use the picks though to bring another forward, but that Newhook deal was gross overpayment.

The best thing to do is continue to force other GMs to unload their costly mistakes, as the Habs have room to absorb the contracts and pile up on picks.

Reactions: HABitual Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad