Proposal: Montreal & Columbus.. Blockbuster?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Trade could be done either pre or post expansion draft as long as Montreal work out a deal with Jones & Jenner before it gets finalized.

Montreal trade:

Shea Weber (5x 7.85M)
Nick Suzuki (1x 863K)
Paul Byron (2x 3.4M)
Montreal 2021 first round pick

Money out: 12.1M

Columbus trade:

Seth Jones (1x 5.4M)
Boone Jenner (1x 3.75M)

Money out: 9.15M

*Contract extension with both Jenner and Jones is required.

Reasoning:

Columbus gets a young 1C, a veteran RD that can somewhat replace Jones and teach the kids while bringing in leadership and a high draft pick to restock the farm.

Montreal gets a younger, high-end RD in Jones and a 3C to replace Suzuki. Byron is necessary in the deal in the way that Montreal needs to clear cap space to be able to afford Jones & Jenner new contracts.

Edit: Obviously, for this deal to work Jones has to inform Kekelainen he won’t resign with Columbus and Bergevin works out a deal with both Jones and Jenner before the deal is completed

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Totally not worth it for CBJ
Yes OP includes Nick, 1st,
but CBJ will resign Jones, he and Werenski are still at the core in CBJ's next version.

and btw, Weber w/o retention goes nowhere.
How many teams get handcuffed by Flyers' Weber offersheet ...

Reactions: Viqsi

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Why over compicate it? Suzuki and a 1st for Jones

Wouldn’t be able to fit Jones under the cap.

If a reasonable extension is in place I think the Blue Jackets would want a higher end player as the centerpiece coming back for Jones. Can't help but notice Montreal gets the best player and cap space in the same deal.

What do you mean by higher end? Getting a 21 years high end C like Suzuki isn’t good a centerpiece? Realistically, which young C player who’s on the higher end side of Suzuki would be available? I’m just curious

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
but CBJ will resign Jones, he and Werenski are still at the core in CBJ's next version.

I don’t really want to go in the Weber debate as there’s a lot of opinions out there. Obviously, moving Weber is tricky (unless it’s to a team aiming to get over the cap floor while saving real $$) but in this scenario, it can’t be done without Weber and Byron going the other way. Montreal need that cap space to be able to sign Jones

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Shea Weber (5x 7.85M)
Nick Suzuki (1x 863K)
Cole Caufield (3x 863K)
Montreal 2021 first + second round pick
Montreal 2022 first + second round pick

Seth Jones (1x 5.4M)
Boone Jenner (1x 3.75M)

could probably have Jaarmo thinking with this?

Reactions: McJedi and voxel

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

What do you mean by higher end? Getting a 21 years high end C like Suzuki isn’t good a centerpiece? Realistically, which young C player who’s on the higher end side of Suzuki would be available? I’m just curious

Jackets Fans are thinking Jones would gt them a guy like Eichel... So there's that...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Shea Weber (5x 7.85M)
Nick Suzuki (1x 863K)
Cole Caufield (3x 863K)
Montreal 2021 first + second round pick
Montreal 2022 first + second round pick

Seth Jones (1x 5.4M)
Boone Jenner (1x 3.75M)

could probably have Jaarmo thinking with this?

That’s never going to happen, even without the draft picks

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Montreal gets a #1D going into his prime for their #1D well out of his prime and on a bad contract, a potential #2C, a low pick and a cap dump.

Lol.
A potential 2C? Lol

Guy is outproducing Larkin playing with worse linemates... So yah...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Jackets Fans are thinking Jones would gt them a guy like Eichel... So there's that...

Can’t really compete with that if they really can pull off an Eichel.

A potential 2C? Lol

I usually just ignore those two... Wings fans. They’re mostly here to troll Habs fans.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Ya I assumed since we're passed the trade deadline this would be a offseason trade, cap is irrelevant

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ya I assumed since we're passed the trade deadline this would be a offseason trade, cap is irrelevant

It is when Montreal is right up against the cap for the coming years and would need another 8-9M for Jones & probably 3.5-4M for Jenner.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Young c's are never really available and Suzuki is a good young one playing as a 2C right now. Not knocking the player.

If we are talking about Columbus's best player (and a legit #1 RHD) and Jenner, who is not some cap throw in, the Jackets should be asking a lot by picking the Laval Rockets clean. If the Habs want to move salary they are welcome to in separate deals. The Jackets don't have to take on anything they don't want to in a Jones deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Trade could be done either pre or post expansion draft as long as Montreal work out a deal with Jones & Jenner before it gets finalized.

Montreal trade:

Shea Weber (5x 7.85M)
Nick Suzuki (1x 863K)
Paul Byron (2x 3.4M)
Montreal 2021 first round pick

Money out: 12.1M

Columbus trade:

Seth Jones (1x 5.4M)
Boone Jenner (1x 3.75M)

Money out: 9.15M

*Contract extension with both Jenner and Jones is required.

Reasoning:

Columbus gets a young 1C, a veteran RD that can somewhat replace Jones and teach the kids while bringing in leadership and a high draft pick to restock the farm.

Montreal gets a younger, high-end RD in Jones and a 3C to replace Suzuki. Byron is necessary in the deal in the way that Montreal needs to clear cap space to be able to afford Jones & Jenner new contracts.

Edit: Obviously, for this deal to work Jones has to inform Kekelainen he won’t resign with Columbus and Bergevin works out a deal with both Jones and Jenner before the deal is completed
Neither team is making this trade.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
A potential 2C? Lol

And on a contending team, Larkin is ideally their 2C.

How about you go back to spitting hot takes like GMs don't view Mantha as being worth a 1st.

Reactions: TFHockey

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

So much stuff is wrong with this here...

after next year (where his base salary is 6M), Weber is making 3M-1M-1M-1M in real dollars. Teams like Arizona will be fighting for that contract.

2- He ain't playing those last 3 years, it'll be easy to trade him back to NSH for a good prospect so they can LTIR him vs getting hit with cap recapture.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
And on a contending team, Larkin is ideally their 2C.

How about you go back to spitting hot takes like GMs don't view Mantha as being worth a 1st.

You mean Mantha being worth a very lat 1st in a very bad draft, and a player who'll be gone in 2 years? Yah!

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It is when Montreal is right up against the cap for the coming years and would need another 8-9M for Jones & probably 3.5-4M for Jenner.

My offer didn't have Jenner in it, and cap is still irrelevant as long as they are cap compliant before the season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad