Montreal Canadiens have strong future in defensive? (Guhle, Mailloux, Hutson, Xhekaj, Harris, Barron, Engstrom and more).

Good defensive core?

• High potential, can dominate in NHL.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Good potential, that's going to be a good D core.

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Ok potential, that's going to be a ok D core.

Votes: 54 44.6%
  • Meh potential, meh D core in the future.

Votes: 35 28.9%

• Total voters

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The future of defensive on Habs system looks solid?

Kaiden Guhle looks already like a future top pairing D-men for many years to come.
Arber Xhekaj show high potential, he is a very mobile physical d-man, better offensive than Ben Chiarot.
Jordan Harris have some great flashes... potential to be a really good two-way D-man.

Add Logan Mailloux, Lane Hutson, Adam Engstrom, Jayden Struble, Justin Barron and more... to that...

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

Kaiden Guhle looks already like a future top pairing D-men for many years to come.
Arber Xhekaj show high potential, he is a very mobile physical d-man, better offensive than Ben Chiarot.
Jordan Harris have some great flashes... potential to be a really good two-way D-man.

Add Logan Mailloux, Lane Hutson, Adam Engstrom, Jayden Struble, Justin Barron and more... to that...
No not really😕

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Below average maybe? No real top guy like Detroit etc.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Just my outsider impression.

Guhle should be a top pair D. Mailloux and Hutson could be anything, high boom/ bust still. Harris and Xhekaj are probably just bottom pair guys, I don't see much with them. A lot of quantity so you'll probably have some quality come out of that.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Most meh group of names I've seen in a while. You could put some fake names in there and noone would be any the wiser

Reactions: jetsforever

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just my outsider impression.

Guhle should be a top pair D. Mailloux and Hutson could be anything, high boom/ bust still. Harris and Xhekaj are probably just bottom pair guys, I don't see much with them. A lot of quantity so you'll probably have some quality come out of that.

Came here to say this, nothing really pops here.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Extremely meh group.

Guhle should round into a solid top pairing guy, but that's basically it in terms of Top pairing upside. The rest are middle pairing or lower with a lot of risk. Hutson is probably the biggest wildcard to boom into something more.

That being said, if they get lucky and pull a top pairing out of Guhle and can manage to get two more legit middle pairing guys out of the rest... That's a good start for the defense. Still very much missing a Star defender which is one of the hardest positions in all of hockey to fill unfortunately.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ok potential. We miss many pieces.

- No real franchise #1 Dmen
- We miss a #3 too, many have #4-5 potential
- No depth on the RD

I don’t see how someone can look at that group and says wow that’s elite

Guhle and Barron is enough to make this group elite in my opinion.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kaiden Guhle isn't far off of Seiders pace

wtf.gif

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk id prob need to compare it to another team with solid d prospects…. To get an idea, not sure who has the best d pool in hockey right now

With little knowledge of other top teams pool, it looks fine, should produce a couple nhlers… like someone else mentioned Hutson could really make that group solid if he pans out.

Just for comparison Anaheim has
Mintyukov, zellweger, luneau, hinds, thrun, lacombe, warren, moore…. And I used drysdale would be included in that group.

Kings have
Clark, grans, bjornfoot, Spence, Anderson off the top of my head.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's ~ok.

Lots of question marks in there. Some could pan out, some not

Guhle was always a good prospect, though not as good as other big names in recent years (Heiska, Hughes, Makar, Dahlin, etc). He's having a decent career start, so maybe he ends up a star player, but too soon to say with a small sample size.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
It's not very good, but if Guhle is actually the player he's looked like so far, then it might be alright. The rest of the players mentioned are guys who you see dress is many team's bottom 4, although most are still young and may have untapped upside.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
the habs hype machine after every win is pretty impressive for a team that is on pace for 87 points. I would have thought they were fighting for the divisional lead with all the gushing.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
With little knowledge of other top teams pool, it looks fine, should produce a couple nhlers… like someone else mentioned Hutson could really make that group solid if he pans out.

Get this, the Habs have mostly been playing 4 rookies since the season started. 3 of the guys mentioned in the OP are now legit NHL'ers.

the habs hype machine after every win is pretty impressive for a team that is on pace for 87 points. I would have thought they were fighting for the divisional lead with all the gushing.

87pts for a team in the middle of its first legit year in a rebuild is pretty good. Maybe too good. Geez you thought you were embarrassing Habs' fans with that line? LOL Not being able to get past the 1st round in what? 6 years? with such a highly touted roster of forwards, now that's embarrassing.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Get this, the Habs have mostly been playing 4 rookies since the season started. 3 of the guys mentioned in the OP are now legit NHL'ers.

87pts for a team in the middle of its first legit year in a rebuild is pretty good. Maybe too good. Geez you thought you were embarrassing Habs' fans with that line? LOL Not being able to get past the 1st round in what? 6 years? with such a highly touted roster of forwards, now that's embarrassing.
6yrs? They haven't been past the 1st rd since 2004. 18 yrs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Guhle and Barron is enough to make this group elite in my opinion.
I think Guhle could be a decent top pairing Dman but his ceiling is maybe what a top 30ish Dman in the league and Barron is looking like he might top out as a low #3 or high #4 type.

6yrs? They haven't been past the 1st rd since 2004. 18 yrs.
Are you talking about a different team, the Habs were just in the SC finals a couple of seasons ago.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad