Montreal Canadiens are the most successful Canadian franchise in the last 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
People are laughing at this list, but... IMO even that is not true- Vancouver won PTx2, and was one match away from winning SC- I think it beats quite insignificant advantage Montreal has in "playoffs made", and "series won" categories.

BTW- does Atlanta stats count for Winnipeg? IMO it shouldn't- I know this is technially the same franchise, but let's face it- Atlanta has f*** all to do with the Jets, I'm sure Jets fans don't feel any connection with Thrashers "legacy"- but otoh, Jets would be handicapped in this ranking, as they didn't play full span.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
That's nice and all but it's been 30 years, how much longer will you be generously leaving cups for other teams?
In a 32 team league, there will always be at least one team that has gone 31 years without…so they technically can’t even be given grief until next next year…

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It wasn't lol. Montreal was shit in 19-20 and shit in 21-22. 20-21? They were a shit team that wouldn't have made the playoffs under normal conferences. That's a fact. They then rode Price and Weber having probably the best hockey of their careers to the SCFs.

But I guess you gotta pretend they were a decent team to justify that they're easily the worst SCF team in the cap era, if not much longer. :dunno:
I guess you don't understand the definition of the word "fact." Feel free to google it sometime.

:laugh:

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'm saying they're not good because they weren't good. This isn't difficult to understand.

They were a mediocre team that benefitted from playing in a shit division under rules that didn't apply in a normal season.
Vegas was no pathetic team to go through in the playoffs.

The Leafs are what that they are, but it was a tough matchup.

Like it or not, winning in the playoffs means something. They didn’t win it all but the players played their asses off and were not given an easy to path to the Finals. They were built for the playoffs and delivered. Couldn’t finish it off but they deserve the credit for beating the teams that were put in front of them.

How they got to the playoffs in the first place is fairly easy; they made enough points versus the teams they had to play within the division to get in. Again, how is that a problem?

Reactions: viceroy

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
Obviously too early to count this years playoffs yet

Playoff appearances and how many actual seasons that a team won at least one playoff series.

EDM 6 appearances 2 first round losses 4 times won at least 1 series
VAN 8 appearances 3 first round losses 5 times won at least 1 series
OTT 8 appearances 4 first round losses 4 times won at least 1 series
WINN 6 appearances 4 first round losses 2 times won at least 1 series
MONT 11 appearances 6 first round losses 5 times won at least 1 series
CAL 9 appearances 7 first round losses 2 times won at least 1 series
TOR 8 appearances 7 first round losses 1 time won at least 1 series

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think alot of those 10 playoffs series wins were in underdog roles as well:

2010: Washington and Pittsburgh
2011: Boston
2014: Boston
2020: Pittsburgh
2021: Toronto, Vegas

That's 70% of the playoff series wins right there and if you go back like 5 years prior to 2005 you will find another couple of huge upsets as well.

Last edited:

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
The habs played a defensive style of hockey common with many teams in that era

They had Pacioretty, Subban and Gallagher who were high end players
Gallagher a high-end player? In the AHL, sure. A 5’9 winger with a career high of 54 points is not a high-end player.
Had markov, and a couple other nice D-man at that time
No, that’s it. Subban and Markov. You had other serviceable defensemen like Emelin, Petry, Jorges, and Gill but those weren’t very nice defensemen.
The Habs were missing a better 1C but on paper they tried to emulate the 2011 Bruins team by being a deep, defensive and physical (not as physical as bruins still) team who had great goalies (price wasnt able to reach 2011 thomas level)
2011 Bruins had Bergeron, Chara, Marchand, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Wheeler, and Seguin. That’s way more talent than any recent Montreal team ever iced. Seguin, Wheeler, and Marchand would go on to become better offensively than any of our forwards since Mats Naslund.

Those teams were not good and overperformed.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I think alot of those 10 playoffs series wins were in underdog roles as well:

2010: Washington and Pittsburgh
2011: Boston
2014: Boston
2020: Pittsburgh
2021: Toronto, Vegas

That's 70% of the playoff series wins right there and if you go back like 5 years prior to 2005 you will find another couple of huge upsets as well.

Two of those were coming back from 3-1 deficits too (Washington and Toronto) and if we could go back one more year we did the same versus Boston in 2004.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Two of those were coming back from 3-1 deficits too (Washington and Toronto) and if we could go back one more year we did the same versus Boston in 2004.

Also, they had the 2-0 series lead against that 06 canes team before koivu got the high stick in the eye.

Then they had the bruins in game 7 ot in 2011 when the Habs didn't have markov and pacioretty in that series.

Both those teams went on to win the cup, but there's something about montreal in that underdog role that has seen them either win or put a huge scare into a Goliath opponent for the past quarter century or so.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I guess facts hurt your feelings. They were 10th among Eastern Conference teams. :laugh:
Dude we had a bottom 5 roster and pissed on everybody on our way to the cup final , how can you possibly chirp us for that? We made the Leafs Jets and Vegas look like some rinky dinky teams , are you delusional? :laugh::laugh: Literally a free stanley cup run with a dogmeat team and we are supposed to be mad or disappointed in that or something?

Reactions: rahad

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I also measure team success by how they do in the playoffs, and agree with the premise of this thread. By nature of most playoff series wins, the Habs were the most successful Canadian team the last 20 years.

It's been amusing to watch the metamorphosis of Leaffan the last 20 years. 20 years ago, only playoff success mattered (I agree). But now, suddenly, regular season success is all that matters for them.

I find it interesting that during the Auston Matthews era, the Sens have been more successful than the Leafs, in winning 2 playoff series, to only 1 for the Leafs. And that includes 7 years of a seemingly endless rebuild for the Sens. Leaf fans will jump in here and claim that their regular season success is more important, therefore they had more success, but I stick to my guns that playoff success is paramount.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Dude we had a bottom 5 roster and pissed on everybody on our way to the cup final , how can you possibly chirp us for that? We made the Leafs Jets and Vegas look like some rinky dinky teams , are you delusional? :laugh::laugh: Literally a free stanley cup run with a dogmeat team and we are supposed to be mad or disappointed in that or something?

I'm glad we agree that that team was a joke. That was kinda the point.

Leafs playoffs series wins is the lowest?

Games won after the 1st round in the cap era:

Seattle Kraken - 3
Toronto Maple Leafs - 1

• Wow
Reactions: Fatass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad