Proposal: Montreal - Calgary

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Hubes is an absolute albatross. Arguably the worst contract in the game! Enjoy!
Good than Habs fans can stop making these ridiculous proposals. I watched almost every game Hubes has played as a Flame. He’s had his spurts of greatness. His problem is not playing hard every game. He played with Zary as his center late in the season and it was going great. I’d rather give them a year together to turn it around.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Good than Habs fans can stop making these ridiculous proposals. I watched almost every game Hubes has played as a Flame. He’s had his spurts of greatness. His problem is not playing hard every game. He signed with Zary as his center so I’d rather give them a year together to turn it around.
He’s awful and getting worse as the years go by. You are stuck with him.

Habs will rise out they bad contracts. They are in no need to trade them. Calgary should playout Hubs contract. It would coat many 1sts to dump it!

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
People arguing over who's dumpster is smellier never realizing no matter who's right they are still living in a dumpsters.

• Haha
Reactions: CDN24

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good than Habs fans can stop making these ridiculous proposals. I watched almost every game Hubes has played as a Flame. He’s had his spurts of greatness. His problem is not playing hard every game. He played with Zary as his center late in the season and it was going great. I’d rather give them a year together to turn it around.
I think Barkiv made him great. Huberdeau is only above average. Around 50 points or so. He did same for Reinhart and Verhaeghe. They both took off once they got to Florida

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Obviously i know a lot more than you. You actually think Hubs is a good player to have. LOL

Worst contract in the league. This trade is god awful for the Habs and everyone knows it but you!
Salary aside, he is a good player to have. At 5-6 mill teams would be lining up to take him.
Ofcourse we know he's overpaid by quite a bit, but lets not pretend like he's as useless as your 2.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Salary aside, he is a good player to have. At 5-6 mill teams would be lining up to take him.
Ofcourse we know he's overpaid by quite a bit, but lets not pretend like he's as useless as your 2.
The term and his age are just as much a problem as the salary. Even at max retention, investing seven years at $5.5 million into a 40-50 player whose showing a decline is a huge risk. It’s just an awful contract.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
The contracts of Brendan Gallagher and Josh Anderson expire in three years. In three years Jonathan Huberdeau will be a few weeks away from his 34th birthday and have four years left on his contract. I'm glad you think Huberdeau is a good player because the Flames will have a very tough time trading him.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The contracts of Brendan Gallagher and Josh Anderson expire in three years. In three years Jonathan Huberdeau will be a few weeks away from his 34th birthday and have four years left on his contract. I'm glad you think Huberdeau is a good player because the Flames will have a very tough time trading him.
Ya, I think the whole proposal is a **** deal, never happen. Both teams will likely have to ride out their crap contracts. I just take offence to the notion he's a nothing player - ya the contract sucks, but he's a top 6 guy on almost every team in the league.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
When drafting, you are trying to pick the player who is on rocket development in that age 17-20 year range. Tig is a hot trending player and could break out like his dad in D+1 and D+2. He's got that obsession to improve and his fathers pedigree.

First off if the Habs pick the kid who's got a rocket strapped to his back it'll be Beckett Sennecke. Story is the Habs are very interested in him alongside Lindstrom, Iginla and Demidov.

Second, TIJ is not his dad. He's smaller and is not the wrecking ball his dad was. Doesn't play that way at all.

Last of all it's spelt T-I-J. Just like his dad wasn't Jerome but Jarome. First we had that guy spelling their last name as Ignila now we have you trying to make Tig happen.

I agree - he's exactly what the Habs are looking for in a winger. Put him with Kirby Dach and Newhook.

Personally I think we need a Centre. Until Dach can prove to the team that he can play a season mostly uninjured we have to make getting a dependable 1B Centre a priority. That's why Demidov(dream) and Catton are near the top of my list.

People arguing over who's dumpster is smellier never realizing no matter who's right they are still living in a dumpsters.

Yuppers. CGY, MTL and NJD are all mucking about in the dumpster pointing fingers at each other. Let's face it, we all suck.

I think Barkiv made him great.

Really? First you keep pushing "Ignila" now it's Barkiv? Learning how to spell someone's name is like the least little bit of respect. At this point you're just being obtuse.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The term and his age are just as much a problem as the salary. Even at max retention, investing seven years at $5.5 million into a 40-50 player whose showing a decline is a huge risk. It’s just an awful contract.
And since retained contracts stay retained even with LTIR, there's nothing but retirement that would take him off the books if Calgary retains. Making a trade with retention problematic for Calgary.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
How exactly is he showing a decline?
2018-19: 92 points in 82 games
2019-20: 78 points in 69 games.
2020-21: 61 points in 55 games.
2021-22: 115 points in 80 games.
2022-23: 55 points in 79 games.
2023-23: 52 points in 81 games.

Seems like he is showing a decline.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Its severe decline. Like off a cliff and then continuing into a slow erosion. Flames fans who think he hasn't declined are in denial.

Ledge And Dairy

How is he not??? lol

No that is a clear fall off a cliff, and it has already taken place. Showing decline would imply he is expected to gradually become worse based on his play. When in actuality he showed many signs of regaining form in the 2nd half of the season.

Reactions: Nanuuk

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd say he's a pretty safe bet to match the 50 point marker next year.
Sure, and at 50% for 3 seasons he'd be a fine addition to many teams.

The problem is it's for more seasons than that, and 50% retention over those seasons becomes an unreasonable load for Calgary to carry.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Frankly the notion that we could move Huberdeau for Gallagher and Anderson is ridiculous. Huberdeau is clearly a better player at his worst than Gallagher and Anderson at their best, but that deal has 7 years left on it and he's a 5M player making 10M. If Huberdeau had 3 years left then it's a different story,

Reactions: pth2

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gotta agree with the Flames fans that are responding. I have not heard or read a single scout or talking head mention that Tij is possibly going to be better than his dad. Rather, I have heard several say that he is NOT his dad. Tij is more of a natural offensive player with some grit to his game. Jarome was the prototypical power forward of his day.

If scouts truly believed that Tij is trending to be better than his dad, he would unquestionably be 1st over all this year, and the word generational would be associated with his scouting reports.

Not my debate. My focus is where Tij is at now and I like his progression. Better than his dad is not my focus. I'm aware of what kind of player Tig is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, but Iginla >> Tkachuk. I am not saying Tij is a bad prospect at all but if the consensus is that he will be better than his dad then he'd be a lock for 1st overall. I wouldn't be surprised if he is picked by the Habs at 5. This kind of talk is why I am not even sure if I want the Flames to draft him, there are already people in Calgary pencilling him in to be his dad and the chances of that are very very low.

Lol so no links to anyone saying he will be better than his Dad at the NHL level. it is a crazy projection to put in writing and no major scout would.

He doesn't have to be his dad in order to pick him 5th IMO. His dad's pedigree is only one angle to it. Style may be different and that's reasonable. I just like what I see for what he is doing on the ice.

This as good or better than his dad narrative is distracting to what Tij has done on the ice. He's earned top 10 quality with the season he has had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad