Confirmed with Link: Montreal Acquires Mike Reilly from Minnesota for a 2019 5th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Last time I checked, #5/6 D were an actual position in the NHL and if you can upgrade at that position, you do it. I'm sure if he did no trades you'd be the first to crucify him on these boards.

#1 and 2 centres will be addressed in the off season at the draft and July 1st....at least they should be. I don't know of too many non playoff teams addressing their major needs at the deadline.

With the good draft position we'll have this year and the 35m$ in cap space, I expect a significant upgrade. If Bergevin cannot address these glaring needs this offseason, I will like most of you, call for his dismissal.

Since when are roster players the only major needs of a team? Are picks and prospects not a major need of non-playoff teams? Could the Habs not use more picks and prospects? Bergevin said in his press conference that no one was trading picks at the deadline...yet, I count 10 picks in the first two rounds that were moved.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Since when are roster players the only major needs of a team? Are picks and prospects not a major need of non-playoff teams? Could the Habs not use more picks and prospects? Bergevin said in his press conference that no one was trading picks at the deadline...yet, I count 10 picks in the first two rounds that were moved.
Top 6 pick, 4 second rounders of two will be in the top 10 and I believe a potential of 3 fourth round picks......where's the problem?

Most teams are looking for expiring contracts and I believe we got rid of all those players minus Niemi....again, where's the problem?

No team has more picks then we do in the second round....where's the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
10 picks were moved in the first two rounds of which we aquired 1 of them.......these first rounders were moved for guys like Mcdonaugh, Stastny......so ya, could've had a late first round pick for Galchenyuk if it's picks you wanted

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Oh man, you have issues. My original comment had no reference to anything Yzerman has done. You pulled that out of thin air.
So many issues I have :laugh:....didn't you know, I'm writing this shit from jail where I'm doing 25 to life for murder

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Top 6 pick, 4 second rounders of two will be in the top 10 and I believe a potential of 3 fourth round picks......where's the problem?

Most teams are looking for expiring contracts and I believe we got rid of all those players minus Niemi....again, where's the problem?

It's the same people who criticized Bergevin for not trading Sergachev, our 1st (Poehling) and more for Duchene last year at the deadline.

Reactions: jaffy27

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Thing is....let just slow down on the expectations. Yeah, Minny's got a great D and yet....Reilly has been beaten in the depth chart by Nick Seeler. Who? Yeah, that's my point....

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Who cares man?! It's not like we traded a first round pick for this guy or something...

I don't understand the reaction with all these reclamation projects... What's the problem? It costs literally nothing to try the guy, if it won't work he'll be gone and that's it.

Well if you think he sucks then it will only help your rebuild thing... You should applaud Bergevin.
This is what you guys say everytime he makes these moves. Who cares, who cares. Take all these who cares together and we would have better team with wasting cap space, draft picks, roster spots for development. You guys only look at in isolation of everything else. Gally 5th round pick. But who cares if our top goal scorer isn't on the team because we didn't have a pick for him back then right!

If you are rebuilding you don't blow draftpicks on more players unless its a move up, If he had gotten their 7th also, then OK at least we didn't lose our pick entirely.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013

The problem is our team needs an overhaul and MB keeps making minor tweaking moves, like ones contenders would make. Is Reilly a decent low cost piece to add? Sure he is, but he's spent 6 years trying to fix our D with these types of minor moves. He's plugging a hull leak with chewing gum.

Feel free to be positive with these moves, but like I said, he's grasping at straws. Then he tells the fans that that's all there was to make, when other teams clearly disprove that notion.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Last time I checked, #5/6 D were an actual position in the NHL and if you can upgrade at that position, you do it. I'm sure if he did no trades you'd be the first to crucify him on these boards.
Ya..and? Had he kept Plekanec, he would have rightfully so been criticized for it. You suggesting people would be wrong to criticize him?
For the record, I'm not criticizing him for this Reilly trade. I'm laughing at how people are so desperate to find things to credit Bergevin for they have to resort to debating about a 5-6D guy.
Also, Bergevin did exactly what I expected him to. Trade Plekanec-Morrow, and good for him to do it.
Trading Jerabek, I don't really see the point, but I don't care really. Same with this Mike Reilly trade.
I don't care because we have much bigger needs and if those aren't addressed, well nothing will change.
#1 and 2 centres will be addressed in the off season at the draft and July 1st....at least they should be. I don't know of too many non playoff teams addressing their major needs at the deadline.
Well he didn't address them last year, and he even admitted that Drouin shouldn't be used at center, so he was very well aware of the situation. He just didn't answer it. I guess we shall see this year.
I didn't expect him to get anybody this deadline.

With the good draft position we'll have this year and the 35m$ in cap space, I expect a significant upgrade. If Bergevin cannot address these glaring needs this offseason, I will like most of you, call for his dismissal.
Ya, you said that last year too.
Not sure how Bergevin is going to get us two centers, one of which being a top one, and a top 2 PMD. If he does, I'll be the first to applaud him.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

The only reason he might become a 6Dman is because what we have is so terrible. Why are we not using this time to develop our own prospects and give them a look. Seems like the prefect opportunity.

Centers will not be addressed, just as we have seen the last 6 off season. Or do you believe in the Fairy Tale of John "Save the franchise by himself" Tavares

You should have been asking for his dismissal for any number of reasons in the last 3 season. Yet here you are, and forever will be, defending this POS GM who has utterly destroyed this franchise. One more deadline, one more UFA, one more draft, one more offseason. We have seen you repeat this ad nauseam for YEARS , Do you think this leopard is going to suddenly change his spots. 2 weeks ago you said you would turn on him if he did poorly at the deadline. I guess to you picking up scraps and trading pleks for barely market value is bergie speak for carpe diam.

Reactions: junyab

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Who cares man?!
That is exactly the point. Who cares. So why even do this in the first place...who cares.
He's not going to change anything to this team. Until we address the real issues, who gives a crap about upgrading our 5-6-7th Dmen.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
We never gave Davidson a chance, I doubt this kid will get one either, although he can't be worse than Point Break (Joe Morrow)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thing is....let just slow down on the expectations. Yeah, Minny's got a great D and yet....Reilly has been beaten in the depth chart by Nick Seeler. Who? Yeah, that's my point....
Then Reilly will be an utter and most dissapointing failure......you heard it here first folks!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We never gave Davidson a chance, I doubt this kid will get one either, although he can't be worse than Point Break (Joe Morrow)

imo Morrow is better than Davidson.

Davidson got his chance. He just can't stickhandle. He would bobble the puck so badly when no one was around so badly that by the time he tried to recover it, the opposition would come in to the play, have a turnover, and score.

Garth Snow is out of his mind to give a 3rd for Davidson when Oduya's on waivers and other dmen better dmen are out there for cheaper.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The only reason he might become a 6Dman is because what we have is so terrible. Why are we not using this time to develop our own prospects and give them a look. Seems like the prefect opportunity.

Centers will not be addressed, just as we have seen the last 6 off season. Or do you believe in the Fairy Tale of John "Save the franchise by himself" Tavares

You should have been asking for his dismissal for any number of reasons in the last 3 season. Yet here you are, and forever will be, defending this POS GM who has utterly destroyed this franchise. One more deadline, one more UFA, one more draft, one more offseason. We have seen you repeat this ad nauseam for YEARS , Do you think this leopard is going to suddenly change his spots. 2 weeks ago you said you would turn on him if he did poorly at the deadline. I guess to you picking up scraps and trading pleks for barely market value is bergie speak for carpe diam.

It would seem that Juulsen and Mete are getting very serious looks right now wouldn't you agree?

Reactions: dralaf

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
imo Morrow is better than Davidson.

Davidson got his chance. He just can't stickhandle. He would bobble the puck so badly when no one was around so badly that by the time he tried to recover it, the opposition would come in to the play, have a turnover, and score.

Garth Snow is out of his mind to give a 3rd for Davidson when Oduya's on waivers and other dmen better dmen are out there for cheaper.

Tough call, Morrow looked like he was in a car accident in his own end, but he had a better shot etc. Its like going to the movies and deciding which will be the least shittiest for your money.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Tough call, Morrow looked like he was in a car accident in his own end, but he had a better shot etc. Its like going to the movies and deciding which will be the least ****tiest for your money.

His decisions in his own end were nonsensical. A guy is standing in the crease about to get the puck. He makes no effort to get good position on him. He doesn't try to tie up the stick. He just starts cross checking him half heartedly in the back. Like that's going to prevent a scoring chance. He had to have been in a car accident at some point an suffered serious brain damage, unfortunately.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Reilly is a better skater than all of them, including Morrow and Brolieu.
So MB plans on entering the Habs in the Ice Capades? Maybe Reilly will be different from all the other slugs he brought in. But if I had to go by past history (Beaulieu, Nestrov, Barberio, Davidson, Morrow, Schlemko, Jerabek, Alzner just since last season) Reilly will probably be another one of his projects that does diddley squat.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
This is an interesting deal, Reilly has put up good numbers before (more than 1 PPG at college level for a D that is unusual), has a good frame and fills an immediate need for us. We'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad