Montoya vs Shwartz. A spot of foureleven if you please

Status
Not open for further replies.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
The Kings are looking like they may have hit bottom and are again without a win leaving them even further outside of the pos.

I have read some on Montoya but have found precious little on Schwartz. Any info on both of them (opinions are fine with me and I mean any. None of us here have a bad insight on prospects, just different ones. I am big enough boy to sort through and pick what I like. If you will be kind enough to help a fellow out) would be appreciated.

From what I have read, it looks like Schwartz might have a little more foot speed and Montoya a better lateral movement and stick skills. (although if they remove the goalies from moving the puck so much it won't matter) They are both big game goalies from what I have read and that is all I have gleamed.

I did see them in the worlds but, I think lots of players look grand in tourneys who can't make it in the NHL.

The Kings will likely pick between 12th and 15th. They are so bloody full of talented and ready (or a season away) NHL caliber defencemen they won't likely pick one of them.

They are also right spot on with forward talent and unless a truly decent elite potential centerman is available, they might actually be able to take one of these two talented young goalies with their pick.

They have Munce, Zaba, Choinard (from OTT) and Marsters as their top prospect goalies but not one "home runner" of a goalie prospect.

If you were to be able to chose one of these lads, which would you take?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
If Picard is available, I suspect the Kings will select him. It will be a stretch for him to fall that far, but he is a solid prospect/player. As for the goalies, Montoya is my pick. I'm really high on the NCAA developmental system right now. Its producing ready to go players (for those that stay for a decent amount of time), and besides that.....Montoya really impressed me in the WJCs, while Schwarez did not. Take that for what its worth punchy1. The skillsets are both pretty high, but I just think Montoya will develop into a much better player in the NCAA.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Enoch said:
If Picard is available, I suspect the Kings will select him. It will be a stretch for him to fall that far, but he is a solid prospect/player. As for the goalies, Montoya is my pick. I'm really high on the NCAA developmental system right now. Its producing ready to go players (for those that stay for a decent amount of time), and besides that.....Montoya really impressed me in the WJCs, while Schwarez did not. Take that for what its worth punchy1. The skillsets are both pretty high, but I just think Montoya will develop into a much better player in the NCAA.

I truly wonder if the Kings will select another forward. At this point, we have gobs of skilled forwards that are ready or close to it for the NHL and while everyone always wants another, with us having several ready and close, I don't see us passing up on a talented goalie if one is there. Last year, even though we were desperately needing a goalie (took Munce in the second) I didn't see us really having a go at one.

Spending a second on one was shocking to me but, now that we are chock full on D and have so many talented skill/character forwards, I just think we will have a run at one of these two goalies.

But as I know nothing more than anyone else we will se what happens.

You would go with Montoya of Schwarz? Interesting. I truly have no opinion on which is better but will chock that one in his column.

I tend to se Taylor going after him as well as he LOVES the NCAA players (we take lots of them) and having a goalie from there would likely be solid bait for stitch.

Cheers for the input mate. Interesting and helpfull for certain.

Keep em coming lads.

db23

Montoya is very big, and a bright kid, although he is overrated as a goaltender at Michigan, I think. But he is certainly the ideal candidate to develop for 3 or 4 years.
The Czech is a lot smaller, as I recall, but has fantastic athletic skills. He would be more likely to step in sooner, and probably has higher end potential. Montoya would be a slower, safer bet.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
punchy1 said:
But as I know nothing more than anyone else we will se what happens.

You would go with Montoya of Schwarz? Interesting. I truly have no opinion on which is better but will chock that one in his column.

I tend to se Taylor going after him as well as he LOVES the NCAA players (we take lots of them) and having a goalie from there would likely be solid bait for stitch.

Cheers for the input mate. Interesting and helpfull for certain.

Keep em coming lads.

FYI: Munce was a 3rd round pick. And don't forget Zaba he is having a very good freshman season

We really have a shot at a good goalie this year. There is a huge post a little down the board that goes into great detail about the goalies prospects in each NHL team and most importantly the chance of the non-playoff teams to pick a goalie this year. Seems as though most of the top-10 draft pickers simply don't need a goalie. I believe we have a shot at all the top goalies this year because of it...

To that end I have no idea who is better. Montoya is suppose to be the second best goalie in the NCAA after Howard. Schwarz was injured in the WJC and that is why Montoya got the call. Another young kid down in US Highschoool Shnieder is geting good pr but he maybe not a 1st rounder.

Either way we will most likely pick a NCAA or a Euro guy. Why pay for development and then be forced to sign the guy when you can get more power?

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Tadite said:
FYI: Munce was a 3rd round pick. And don't forget Zaba he is having a very good freshman season

We really have a shot at a good goalie this year. There is a huge post a little down the board that goes into great detail about the goalies prospects in each NHL team and most importantly the chance of the non-playoff teams to pick a goalie this year. Seems as though most of the top-10 draft pickers simply don't need a goalie. I believe we have a shot at all the top goalies this year because of it...

To that end I have no idea who is better. Montoya is suppose to be the second best goalie in the NCAA after Howard. Schwarz was injured in the WJC and that is why Montoya got the call. Another young kid down in US Highschoool Shnieder is geting good pr but he maybe not a 1st rounder.

Either way we will most likely pick a NCAA or a Euro guy. Why pay for development and then be forced to sign the guy when you can get more power?

Thanks tadite. Munce were a third rounder. Still, a very high pick for us where goalies go.

I also agree that Montoya would be Stitches man. He loves the NCAA and for good reason. Schwa is also a candidate being a euro too. I reckon Montoya simply due to his combo of size and the ncaa thing.

I don't blame Taylor for not wanting to risk a high pick on a goalie especially when we have yet to show any skill at developing them and ruining two very highly touted goalie prospects. I just reckon that our system in place now is ready to bring a fw along.

Choinard looked well enough during his sniff on the team and might be our back up next year (I reckon so) and then we will need a true homerunner in our system. Oh, I gave props to Zaba in my thread starter as well. He is having a nice year (according to stats) and could develope as well. I would just be happy seeing us have a gem in the system. Where we get him don't really matter to me.

Unless we can trade up for a shot at one of the true top line elite talent centers, I fancy us as buyers on the goalie market.

Harry

Mar 13, 2004
Victoria BC
Montoya is the guy. Top rated goalie in North America for this draft. Has the size etc. We can only assume he will develope into a franchise goalie. Time will tell.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
GM's have great disdain for small goaltenders. Honestly, I can't remember the last smallish goaltender drafted in the first round. Schwartz will slip into the bottom half of the draft.

Montoya is like Turco in handling the puck, is a very big and smart kid, and has proven good in the clutch at the WJC's. He's the best goaltender in the draft, and if he's available, go for it!!!

Dubynk is another guy. I've seen him a number of times in the WHL this year, and to be honest, I think he's a bit overrated, but I still think he's a very solid high end 2nd rounder/late 1st rounder.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i went to the super 6 last weekend, and all ill say is that if montoya plays like he did last weekend all the time, he wont make it in the NHL. He flopped around a lot, let in weak goals, but in the end he held his ground good when they needed him to.

st_roland

Harry said:
Montoya is the guy. Top rated goalie in North America for this draft. Has the size etc. We can only assume he will develope into a franchise goalie. Time will tell.

I wouldn't make that assumption if I had a draft pick in the first round.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
Montoya is probably better now but Schwarz will be way better once developed. Way better quickness and reaction time.

They play two differant styles. Just because Schwarz is quicker doesn't mean he'll be a better puck stopper.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Rabid Ranger said:
They play two differant styles. Just because Schwarz is quicker doesn't mean he'll be a better puck stopper.

Tommy Salo is slow as molases and he is still in the NHL. :joker:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Rabid Ranger said:
You don't think quickness, reflexes and reaction time doesn't make you a better puck stoper? I think Schwarz may be faster then Fleury, you get him a good positional goaltender coach and there is no way Montoya will be better. Stop looking at Montoya as an american and realize, his mobile skills arn't in the same league as Schwarz.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
You don't think quickness, reflexes and reaction time doesn't make you a better puck stoper? I think Schwarz may be faster then Fleury, you get him a good positional goaltender coach and there is no way Montoya will be better. Stop looking at Montoya as an american and realize, his mobile skills arn't in the same league as Schwarz.

What I think is you are underestimating Montoya's quickness. Also, did I ever say Montoya was Schwartz's equal in that area? No. All I said was it takes more than quickness to be a great goalie. I guess I should defer to you though since you've seen both play so much. :bow:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Rabid Ranger said:
What I think is you are underestimating Montoya's quickness. Also, did I ever say Montoya was Schwartz's equal in that area? No. All I said was it takes more than quickness to be a great goalie. I guess I should defer to you though since you've seen both play so much. :bow:
I seen Schwarz 3 times....two vs Canada and Montoya 3 times...2 final WJC games and one college game. Thats enough to base an opinion on IMO.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Schwarz has to be quicker though, he is a lot smaller than Montoya....Each has their own strengths/weaknesses.

endacka

Mar 7, 2002
Paris
Visit site
Schwarz is probably the best Czech goalie prospect EVER. I mean that none of Czech goalies was supposed to be better player than Schwarz. He is really very fast and agile, I saw him several times and it was mainly his agility that allowed him to make some incredible saves. In one of those games I saw he let up 3 easy goals and did not look well at all but that is the question of consistency that comes with the age. For several games he was number one goalie in Czech league teams Plzen and Trinec, he had solid numbers there, his numbers went down when he returned to Sparta, where he was number 2 behind veteran Briza. Here are his stats

Trinec 5GP 3W 2L 0T 2.57GAA 0SO 93.14SP
Plzen 10GP 4W 5L 1T 3.28GAA 0SO 92.18SP
Sparta 8GP 1W 6L 1T 3.58GAA 0SO 89.64SP

The fact that he has been playing among men has hepled him a lot and I hope he will be doing well on U 18. He needs a few years to develop, I hope he stays in Czech league and probably in 2 or three years makes the NHL, eighter in LA or another team.

X-SHARKIE

Schwarz easily. The only reason some people on here are saying MOntoya is because there putting to much into the WJC. Montoya has been shaky and inconsistant when I have seen him in Michigan. I like the guy, he has alot of upside, but Schwarz is a stud. I couldnt believe my eyes when people were telling me Schwarz wont go top 10...Just because he didnt dominate Canada at the WJC doesnt mean his stock is falling. I still few Schwarz as the best goalie in the draft, no doubt, and if he falls to 11 that team may have the best pick up by Value in the 1st round.

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Let's see....Montoya proved at the WJC that he's a gamer....remained poised and in control....something that the first round draft pick did not....and led his team to the gold medal platform....very hard to overlook that performance.....but some people will look at the paper...but that's what makes the draft so interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad